“Great Campground Value”

Savannas Recreation Area
Ranked #21 of 91 things to do in Fort Pierce
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I've done enough tent camping to confidently say Savannas is an outstanding park. I stayed for 4-nights during December and despite the wind and rain I had a comfortable time.

Savannas is located on a swampy area. There is fishing and boating opportunities nearby, and good beaches are about 10-miles drive away.

There are two types of tent camping available: unimproved and primitive. Unimproved sites are situated on low grass next to water faucets, bathroom with flush toilets, picnic tables, fire pits, and a community electricity outlet. They have little tree cover. Primitive sites are situated away in the tall grass and trees with only a porta-potty nearby.

I stayed at an unimproved site, and the facilities were clean and in good working order. Unimproved sites are quite large, and the grassy area does well with absorbing rain water. It rained often for three days, yet no puddles formed in the tent area. Amazing! There is also coin laundry and kayak rentals.

The park staff is friendly as were the other guests. The park is close enough to hear car traffic and the occasional train, but most of the night time noises came from the animals in the swamp. Quite enchanting. Bugs were only a minor problem.

One Florida local commented that Savannas was one of their favorite campgrounds, and they've been returning for years. No doubt. I recommend camping at Savannas.

1  Thank B T
in 8 reviews
"trail"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We just stopped for couple days. Park was very clean. Office staff was great. Since the weather was colder we want a camp fire but could not buy any wood. Restrooms were clean and laundry was good as well and good price. They had a great dog runs. Good place to camp to explore the area.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We camped here in the spring of 2013. The spaces offer little privacy, but the setting is peaceful. That is until the very surly night host shows up drunk on his "Gator" utility vehicle. He and his buddies on the morning shift are the "Lunatics running the asylum". My wife and I could smell the beer from 6-10 feet away that night and wondered how he was allowed to endanger himself and others careening through the park. I went to complain in the morning and the day man empathized with him saying "You can't expect to be on-call and not have a little beer".......
This place is a nightmare and the director of parks and recreation should fire all the current volunteer staff. Condo Warriors should stay in their condos.

2  Thank WILLIAM H
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stopped by here and went kayaking. We found the woman working here to be very friendly and helpful. The prices for the kayaking are very reasonable and we had an enjoyable trip. I would recommend stopping here.