“Liked it, but didn't love it”

DiamondHead Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Reviewed April 26, 2014

First- what I liked. Convenient location-right on the beach. Very friendly and helpful staff. Nice, open air, beachside casual restaurant/bar adjacent to the pool. (I LOVED the fact that they don't allow people to "reserve" chairs by putting towels on them.) More formal restaurant upstairs seemed quite nice although we only went there for breakfast. We stayed in an oceanfront one bedroom suite on the second floor. It was a little pricey at $330 per night for the quality of the hotel, but was spacious enough and had a nice screened in patio. The beach is a beautiful white sand beach and all water sports activities are available right there. You can rent 2 chaise lounge chairs and an umbrella for $25.00 per day ($20.00 per day for three days or more) and it's $5.00 per day for additional chairs.
The negatives on this place are few. It is a little dated and would more likely be rated as a three star vs.a four star quality. The drinks at Cabanas seemed weak and weren't cheap. The food there was not great either(although the wings are pretty good). The ocean at Fort Myers Beach is hard to enjoy for me. It's shallow, a little murky, and just sort of boring. That's not Diamond Head's fault- it's just the way the water is on the gulf.
We had a really nice dinner at The Nauti Turtle which is just over the bridge on he Fort myers side and had a great happy hour and meal at Parrot Key which is a lively place at the end of the day.
Anyhow, FMB is not my favorite vacation destination, but it's nearby where my mother lives and when I go there again I'll likely stay at Diamond Head again. There really isn't a lot of quality hotels there and given the choices, this is not a bad bet.

Room Tip: We stayed in 208, oceanfront, easy access via stairs vs. elevator. Recommended.
4  Thank Camsdad11
SunStream-Management, General Manager at DiamondHead Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Camsdad11,
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at DiamondHead Beach Resort and Spa. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed our location on the beach and glad our staff was able to take great care of you. We work hard to exceed expectations at every opportunity. We do have newly renovated rooms you can upgrade to, they have granite counter tops, new stylish furniture, and look fantastic. Thank you again for staying with us and we are already looking forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

My sons and I visited for 3 nights in April 2014. The Cabana's Restaurant staff was very unfriendly to us the first day we arrived. The beach chair rental and jet ski rental booth staff were extremely aloof. When we inquired about jet ski rental and declined they were very rude that we didn't purchase the rental. The beach concierge was trying to sell one hour tours of Diamondhead in an effort to sell condos. She wasn't really helpful otherwise. The front desk staff was very professional and the poolside towel desk staff was very friendly too. Housekeeping did a poor cleaning job and came very late in the day. For two days they didn't put the iron away for us, crumbs were not cleaned from the floor and caps to the shampoo were left on the shower floor. The hallway floors were also dirty. The air conditioning was not working appropriately and we had to call maintenance. I work in the hospitality profession and was very disappointed to spend nearly $400 a night for poor service and mediocre rooms. I would have much rather spent another $100 a night to stay in a cleaner resort with great service. Would not go back.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank kgroff
SunStream-Management, General Manager at DiamondHead Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Kgroff,
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to give us your feedback. I apologize you weren't completely satisfied with all aspects of your stay. We receive nothing but the highest praise for our staff, including our staff at Cabana's Beach Bar. I can assure you this is not a common issue and I'll be looking into it. The beach rental service is run by a separate company so I can't comment on their staff. We truly do strive to exceed expectations at every opportunity, that attention to detail has made us one of the top resorts on Fort Myers Beach. Thank you again for staying with us and we do hope to see you back in the future.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Spent 5 nights at this hotel and was continually impressed by the friendliness, efficiency and knowledge of the staff. The little things, like learning names, go a long way. The white sandy beach location is beautiful and convenient, with trolley stops right outside. The set-up of the room suites, with kitchenette works very well. I also enjoyed the screened in balcony overlooking the gulf. We could keep the doors open and listen to the water.

I would suggest the hotel consider ceiling fans. In order to keep the doors open, the AC was running to combat the humidity. Ceiling fans would reduce the need for constant AC (also, more environmentally friendly!).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
SunStream-Management, General Manager at DiamondHead Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear C C,
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at DiamondHead Beach Resort. I'm extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff did a great job of taking care of you. We truly do strive to exceed expectations at every opportunity. Your happiness is our priority. Thank you for the tip about the ceiling fans, I completely agree. Thank you again for staying with us and we do hope to see you back in the future.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Our friends were in town staying here for a few days so we visited and spent the whole day with them on the property. The beach right behind the property is fantastic. All sorts of water activities are available for purchase. Lots of food and drink available as there is a restaurant in the hotel and a nice outdoor bar/restaurant on the sand by the beach. The pool was very nice with wait staff available to get you food/drinks. Ample parking and close to everything on the strip. Doesn't look run down like some other resorts close by. Next time we are in the area we will stay ourselves, possibly for a Florida residents rate.

2  Thank LVLN

Dear LVLN,
Thank you very much for spending the day with us. I'm happy to hear you and your friends enjoyed your time on property. We try to anticipate every need and give each person a fantastic beach resort experience. We would love to see you again and please do take advantage of our Florida Resident Discount. Thank you again and we are looking forward to serving you soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We had a suite on the top floor (12th) and couldn't fault any of it.

The view was superb, the bed comfortable, kitchen area clean, living area just what you need and the 'Buck Rogers' bath tub/pod/shower thing was... different.

Location brilliant, Cabanas food & drink service was excellent and you could even get them delivered to your sunbed!

The one negative point I have is that the pool area is very small for the size of the hotel and as half of it spends most of the day in the shade the beds get moved and become all on top of each other.

Would definitely recommend though.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mags72
SunStream-Management, General Manager at DiamondHead Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear Mags72,
Thank you very much for staying with us at DiamondHead Beach Resort. The 12th floor view is one of the best on the beach, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it and the rest of your suite. Enjoying the warm Florida sun poolside with drinks and food delivered directly to you is a great way to spend a day. Your happiness is our number one priority. Thank you again and we do hope to see you back in the future.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Just got home from Ft. Myers yesterday. Stayed at Diamond Head. Everything was fantastic. Had dinner twice and breakfast once at Chloe's. Food and service were excellent. Everything you need is right there. The only negative is that smoking is allowed on the patios of each suite. We are non smokers but people below us were heavy smokers. We would enjoy our patio and wonderful gulf view for a few minutes and then have to run inside and close the doors to avoid the smoke. We'd love to go back but honestly the smoking would deter us. Definitely recommend the premium suite for the straight on gulf view. Just spectacular. Please Diamond Head, make the resort (Except for Cabanas) a non smoking facility. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Go up high (7th floor and higher) looking straight on the water. Worth the extra $. If you are a no...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
SunStream-Management, General Manager at DiamondHead Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Amy F,
Thank you very much for staying with us at DiamondHead Beach Resort. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and your upgraded suite. We really do try to make our guests feel as if they are at their home away from home, only on the beach! I'm glad you enjoyed your meals and service at our Chloes Restaurant, we have one of the top chefs in the area. Thank you for letting me know about your smoking concerns, I'll will be looking into solutions. Thank you again for staying with us and we do hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I just returned from a short vacation with my daughter I cant say enough how great everything was , I recently was going to stay at the wyndham down 4 miles we had to leave it was so scary I got a room right away at the diamond head and they did there best to get the room ready and when they did the upgraded me because of my wait... the staff so nice, very clean and the best hotel on the beach, I will def stay again... I would def go back my daughter was so happy and so was i

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Dina848
SunStream-Management, General Manager at DiamondHead Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Dear Dina848,
Thank you so much for staying with us at DiamondHead Beach Resort. Making sure our guests receive a quick and easy check-in is important to us. We want you to be able to relax and get comfortable as soon as possible. I'm happy to hear you and your daughter enjoyed your upgraded room and glad our staff was able to take great care of you. Thank you again and we do hope to see you back soon.