“Not Your Standard HI”

Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Asheville, North Carolina
“Not Your Standard HI”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Yes, it is on the beach, yes it has a pool, Tiki bar, and resturant but it also has small,rooms with thin walls, dated furniture, terrible food and a constant party scene. Maybe if the,price is right or you are on spring break this,place will appeal to you but most people can and should do better.

Room Tip: Away from the pool, away from the bar, away from the road and be on the second floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Myers Beach, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear riceland,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Rest assured that your comments about the food and the furniture have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
colden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Before we traveled to Ft. Myers Beach we read all of the reviews. We weren't sure what to expect. We usually travel to our TS at OLCC in Orlando. We arrived early so we first went to see the Marco Island OL resort. It is a beautiful place but too quiet and not on the beach as we had wanted. Then we traveled to Ft Myers Beach to the HI where we had booked. The front desk girls were very friendly. We stayed in room #149 which is on the parking lot side. Our room was very clean. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very quiet. We slept very well. Out your door and down to the beach. The beach is wonderful! Beautiful sunsets and lots of shells. Down a little bit on the beach is the Outrigger and another tikki bar. We met a lot of nice friendly people there. The pool at the HI was nice and refreshing. The food at the HI onsite Tikki bar was OK. Liked the lunch at the Outrigger better. The Fish House is another good place to eat within walking distance. Overall we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #149 parking lot side.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I wasn't too fond of this hotel. Anytime I go anywhere, I stay in a Holiday Inn. But this one wasn't as nice as the others. It was way overpriced even though it's near the beach. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody, and I will definitely not be staying there anymore.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
MichaelPatterson, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Myers Beach, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for review. I apologize we did not meet your expectations as far value at our property. Rates do tend to be higher in season. Now that season is over we have many packages available, some even starting at $99 a night. If you would like to discuss your experience more in depth please feel free to contact me at the hotel. Thank you again for your review.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Having spent three days in this so-called "hotel" we were very happy that we had also booked three days at the Sandpiper down the road. The location and beach are very nice, but come on! this is a run down motel asking big money for prime time, but they don't deserve it. Very happy to leave and Sandpiper was lovely. Don't both with this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MichaelPatterson, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Myers Beach, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologize we did not meet your expectations as far as value. I am glad you enjoyed the location and our staff. It is our goal for all of our guest to have a great stay while visiting our property. We are in the process of remodeling the hotel, which will include updating the guest rooms with new furniture and paint schemes. This remodel should be completed by the end of 2013. Our rates in season are higher than other times of the year, but our rates are in line or lower than our other competitors on the beach. If you would like to discuss your experience further please feel free to contact me at the hotel. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again in the future.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Yes, the room was very clean. But how could this be a called a holiday inn? It was a 2-star motel, no question. We entered our room by a common exterior concrete walkway. There was one window in the room, and it was open to the common exterior walkway, exposing the room to all people walking back and forth along the walkway.There was no privacy. The steel door had about a half inch gap between it and the door jam. Noise from people in the pool 20 feet below was streaming in. The room had a tile floor, which was shocking, and the bathroom was very small. This motel setup with such close proximity to the bar and pool below might be appealing to some, but not to us, especially at resort hotel prices. We checked out 10 min after we checked in. There was no problem with refunding our prepaid stay, thankfully.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Lisafromnewlenoxil
MichaelPatterson, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Myers Beach, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. Our property is not typical of most corporate designed Holiday Inns, it is classic/retro style hotel, as are most of the hotels in this area. Visiting Fort Myers Beach in season the rates are a little higher than other times of the year. Now that season is over we have several very affordable packages available. I apologize we did not meet your expectations as far as the property was concerned. I thank you for acknowledging the clean room, good service and the great location. Thank you again for your review and if you would like to discuss further please feel free to contact me at the property.
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My sister, brother-in-law, husband and I have vacationed annually the first week of March at the Holiday Inn Fort Myers Beach for about 10 years now. We keep returning to this hotel because we enjoy walking on the beach, the heated pool, live music where we can dance at Tiki bar at night (yet the place closes by 10 so never a problem with noise), the rooms are clean, the bathrooms we had the last two years had been updated, the management always makes us feel welcome and comfortable.

Room Tip: Our favorite rooms face the gulf as we enjoy watching the sunrise and beautiful sunsets.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
fort myers
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I've never had such an awful experience on such an important day. I was the maid of honor in my best friends wedding that took place Easter weekend. Her and her husband had been working with the wedding coordinator for quite a few months and it seemed that everything was going smoothly. Each time we met with the coordinator (who actually works out of Pinchers Crab shack but is contracted with the hotel as well) we inquired about the possibility of an early check in. She continued to insist that there was no way to promise an early check-in however in the past a bride has never had an issue getting into a room early. As check-in and the ceremony were both at 3pm, an early check in was ideal. So the morning of the wedding I call the front desk of the hotel to inquire once again about the possibility of an early check in for my bride. I answer a slew of questions over the reservation information and come to find out that the wedding coordinator never booked their room! The honeymoon sweet that is supposed to come with the wedding package was never booked! This is the morning of the wedding! Easter freaking weekend! How incredibly unprofessional!

I left the coordinator a message and it took her about twenty minutes to call back. I requested on her voicemail to please call me personally back as I didn't want to upset the bride/groom on such an important day. So who does she call? The groom. Then the groom calls the bride and before you know it I have a beautiful bride turned emotional trainwreck that the morning of her wedding she learns that there is no hotel accomodations that were already paid for as part of their wedding package! No one should be stressed out the morning of their wedding over a detail such as this!

She ended up getting the to-be married couple a bottom floor corner room overlooking the parking lot! How romantic! When it came time to get her in her dress we had to have friends standing outside of the hotel room watching their luggage and gifts because the room was too small to get her dressed in!

Then came the issues with the reception room. At the last meeting we had we discussed 8 tables of 8 and 2 tables of 10. Based on this we determined the seating chart and the candy boxes indicating assigned seating. When we got to the venue in the afternoon (and already dealt with the issues and the room) I brought the candy boxes into the reception area and approached the coordinator with them. Her frustration and apparent attitude were very unwelcomed by me and I felt that her reply of "Now, I am getting these now? Isn't it a little late for this?" was very uncalled for. I literally handed her a laundry basket full of 85 small boxes and just said, these go on the welcome table next to the sign in book. Her attitude was very uncalled for and she explained that they were running a little behind this morning. Obviously! The tables weren't even set-up and it was an hour before the ceremony! I said to her, "It isn't a big deal. We set it to where tables 1 and 10 are the two tables with ten people and everything else has 8 so as long as the two tables with ten chairs are marked 1 and 10 everything is fine". Come to find out the room was set with 8 tables of 9 and two of 10 or something else that wasn't agreed upon. It was like seriously...this is your job...heck...your career!

One of the other brides maids came in with the rose petals for the aisle and asked the coordinator where they would like them. Her reply was "The ceremony area is already set up, you can take them down there and throw them down". Again, isn't that your job? Part of the services I am paying for here? When we got in the reception hall after the ceremony, the candles that were part of the center pieces were lit but none of the other candles on the table were. I guess some of the tables requested salt and pepper and so some tables got actual shakers, the others were given the shakers from Pinchers which were the corona bottles with holes poked in the lids. I mean come on! The food however was fantastic and the serving staff of gentlemen were fantastic as well so one nice thing to say?

It just seemed that apparently she shouldn't be in that line of work. Not only did she forget to book the honeymoon sweet but didn't even have them a room booked! (huge mistake), properly set the tables, gave obvious attitude over the candy place settings, and required me to spread the flower petals down the aisle for the ceremony because she was too busy, but she actually had the nerve to approach me during the reception dinner and note how nice it must be to finally sit back and relax as everything is under control. Obviously not. On a scale of 1-10 I was at a 7 by about this point. I quickly jumped to a 9 when I realized after the bride and groom did the ceremonial cutting of the cake, the first 20 or so of our guests continued to cut and serve their own cake even though the event was fully catered. Oh yeah, that's right, they were too busy serving brownies adorned with powdered sugar next to the wedding cake!

Never again. I'm sorry but the $400 off of the thousands they spent for their wedding and the verbal promise of a voucher for a two day stay on a weekend of their choice does not make up for the upset crying bride I had all morning because someone was incapable of following through with their end of the deal. Oh and that was only after she ran into the coordinator as she was hysterically crying on the way back to her parking lot room! Originally when they approached her with their dissatisfaction she offered to take $200 off the total bill.

If you dream of a beach wedding, book it somewhere else!

Room Tip: book directly through the hotel!
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ScubaSteve_85
MichaelPatterson, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Myers Beach, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the food and that the service met your expectations. I do apologize there was some miscommunication with the wedding coordinator and the hotel. I am glad that we were able to provide a room for the bride and groom even though it was not the room that was promised to them. I appreciate you passing this information along to me and I assure you we have measures in place to keep this from happening again. If you would like to discuss further or if I can be of any other assistance please feel free to contact me at the at the hotel directly. Thank you again for your review.