“Nice Beach”

Wyndham Garden Fort Myers Beach
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We arrived at this hotel only to be greated by the friendly staff. We booked the room online along with a deal that gave us a 1.5 hour dolphin wave runner tour and beach chairs with umbrella for 2 days. This was very good value. The rooms were very clean and we were told they were going through some re-modeling so we knew there must be a few imperfections, but like any hotel unless you are paying an arm and a leg not everything is going to be perfect. We had a "pool side" room which we were really close to the pool but technically didn't have a few of the pool. We were right by the tiki bar and close to the beach so that made up for it. The Sand Sculpting Championships were going on so it was busy all the time. The place is quite before 10AM and after 10PM. Mike Patterson who is the general manager at the hotel was very nice and made sure our stay was great. Kids eat for free as long as you are staying at the hotel. We also got free breakfast in the morning which is always another money saver. At both the Pinchers Tiki bar and the bar and restaurant in the hotel the staff was very friendly and they take care of you. Shelby and Scott where the best. Shelby was always so chipper and plenty of manners on her part. Many compliments on our family and our 5 year old son. Scott too was good as he was good at what he did and had plenty of stories himself. Was entertaining for my son as well as he took a quick minute from his job duties to thumb wrestle with my son. We didn't run into anyone that was bad. Other names that pop to my head that happened to serve us were Bob, and Jessica. If you are wanting to go to the beach I'd say do it before 9am during the low tide to see sea urchins, sand dollars and plenty of star fish and shells.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ryangene13

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband & I recently went to Fort Myers to visit his parents. While visiting we decided to take one night and stay on the Beach. This Holiday Inn is located in a quiet area of Fort Myers Beach and we were lucky enough to stay in one of their updated rooms. The rooms are slightly small, but nicely appointed. The bathroom was roomy, although if you wanted to be picky - the walk in shower needed a larger glass wall to keep the water from escaping the shower area & the toilet paper holder was a far reach from the toilet. The King Bed was nice and large w/ comfortable bedding, although the bed was slightly firmer than we prefer.

The Tiki Bar is run by Pinchers which is a local Ft Myers Crab Restaurant Chain and it does not disappoint. We tried the shrimp ceasar salad and the crab salad sandwich (which we ordered as a wrap) and it was fantastic. The drinks are always on special so $5 gets you 2 draft beers. The menu items range is price from ($7.99 - plain ceasar salad to $20+ seafood entrees), but we thought the freshness & taste of the food warranted every penny.

Some people have complained about the distance from the Hotel to the ocean. It's probably a football field length or two, but the sand is hard packed so it's the same consistency as if you were walking on soft grass - not that deep ankle twisting sand. Plus, it's a level walk - no sand dunes or hills.

The pool was heated to a pleasant 80F which was nice for a morning swim when it was 60 out, but it might be a bit warm during the heat of the day.

The breakfast restaurant wasn't overpriced as many hotels are. We ordered 2 coffees, 2 juices, french toast & eggs benedict and our bill was $26 of which $10 was for drinks - $2.50each. It's worth it if you don't feel like getting off the property.

Overall, we had a really nice stay and would consider it again if we go to the Beach.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great location on beach which is very wide. Rooms were clean and comfortable. The woman Bartender was very nice and friendly. Maxine, the desk clerk, was great as she did my online Southwest Airline pre-boarding for me the day before we left for the Ft Lauderdale airport!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank robho40
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn for 4 nights in September. It brought flashbacks from 36 years ago
when my then boss used to hold employee meetings at the Holiday Inn near Albany, NY.

This Holiday Inn must have been built around the same time and has the same configuration
in both the building lay-out and the room configuration. I was put off a little until I realized
how lovingly this facility has been restored. Everything looks (and well may be) original, but
it has been remarkably cleaned, polished and re-glazed to look like the original room(s) when they were new.

I was comfortable with good bedding and comfortable air conditioning. My room was on the first floor near the pool and the beach. The room also had a good-sized refrigerator.

The staff at this hotel were very pleasant and well-trained. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys an updated retro look.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here the end of October for a quiet get away. It was just that, the hotel is on the south end but htere was very light traffic and easy to navigate to any of the other Islands. The hotel is a little run down, but very clean and the rooms are a little small but for just the two of us it was just fine. Alot of comments were made about how it was a long walk to the water, it was a little walk but all the neighboring condos or motels were the same. Our package included free bfast, it was just ok and the staff was friendly. Truely no big complaints and if in the area I would stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Perfect location for a relaxing vacation. The hotel is right on the beach and has an unobstructed view of the sunset. Plus the Tiki Bar serves very good food with lots of drink specials. The main dining and room service also served very good food with a nice variety and reasonable prices. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel pool is also nice with outdoor games. The rooms were clean and spacious. One of the two double beds was not comfortable. But overall, thumbs up to this hotel! We were pleasantly surprised and plan to return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Arizona211
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I had a very late flight and arrived at approxinately 11:30pm. Upon check in I noticed the reception area dark and old, service was average. I got to my room door and was not impressed, the first thing I noticed was the room next to mine was undergoing some sort of construction or clean-up which was visible through the uncovered windows & disarray.

Once I entered my room it mirrored the reception area and was old with a dingy feeling. I decided that it was too late to do anything other than go to bed and wake with fresh eyes. All night I felt itchy in the blankets like there was either sand in the bed (though none was visible).

The next morning, while I was coming out of the bathroom, a very large cockroach crawled out from under my bed, went into the bathroom, came back out to circle under the sink and then returned to under the bed. I believe that explains the itchy feeling the night before.

When I went to the front desk to cancel the rest of my stay, I told the woman that the room had large roaches. She said they weren't roaches, they were "Palmetto bugs." She then went to speak to someone in the back room and tell them that I was canceling my reservation. While she was gone, I googled "palmetto bugs" and lo and behold - they are roaches. I read the page to her and indicated that adding a colorful name to the pest didn't change what it was.

I will not be back - ever.

Room Tip: Pick somewhere else to stay!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank R0ckieS
MichaelPatterson, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Myers Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear of your encounter with the Palmetto bug, which is indigenous to tropical regions such as ours. We strive to make each and every guest stay a pleasurable one and apologize your stay was abbreviated by this negative encounter. I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay further if you are willing. I can be reached directly at the hotel at your convenience.