“NOT FOR BUSINESS”

Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I visited the Pink Shell for a business conference. It is a very clean hotel. The staff that provided the food service throughout the conference was tremendous and the food surpassed my expectations. However, the internet service provided in the rooms was TERRIBLE! The first day I could not connect to the internet, I called the front desk that provided me a toll free number to call. When I called I was taken through many steps to try and fix my problem. None of these steps corrected my issue. After a 30 minute phone call I was told there was nothing they could do- thanks for the help!

I called the front desk back and they told me they would contact maintenance. I did not hear from them for 40 minutes and so I called back. I was told they were busy and would visit my room within the next 30 minutes. Once the service rep arrived I had asked for a cable to connect directly- this was not an option. I then suggested unplugging the router, wait 10 seconds, and plug it back in- success!

The internet worked- sort of, very weak signal and slow speed.
When I got back to my room today… the internet didn’t work! The service desk representative was not friendly (She was not rude, but not friendly). They sent a service rep up who went back in the room with the router and fixed the internet.

Long story short- do not visit this hotel if you require internet service in your room because it is TERRIBLE and extremely frustrating if you have emails to catch up on and work to complete.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Chris B
SeniorPSR, Public Relations Manager at Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

We are happy to hear you had a successful conference. Thank you for your compliments on the cleanliness of the hotel, the banquet staff, and the food quality.
In the rare event that we do have a guest who has difficulty with Wi-Fi, we make the best efforts we can to fix it quickly. We will be checking all areas to be sure the Wi-Fi is functioning to its best capability.
Thank you for your review as we can only improve when we receive feedback and we hope that you will consider returning to our resort.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We spent 10 days at this resort and I couldn't have been more satisfied, I had reserved a 1 bedroom suite and upon arrival we were given a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite which we found to be more than what we had expected. We were on the 9th floor which gave us an excellent view of the beach and the surrounding area. We had read that the pool area could be quite loud so I had requested the upper floor prior to our arrival, there was only one night that the noise was annoying and that was due to a wedding reception going on but it was over by 10:30. As for the staff, I couldn't have ask for nicer and more accommodating people. The breakfast buffet was excellent and the wait staff was very friendly and efficient. I would not hesitate to stay here again, it is at the less busy end of the beach and that makes for getting off the island very simple.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Just returned from what was to be three nights at the Pink Shell. We originally reserved a 1 bedroom suite in their newest building. Upon arrival we were told that we had been "upgraded" to a 2 bedroom suite. Room was simple but quite sensational really, but there was a huge catch, one that proved too much for our noses!! The entrance to the room was right by the multiple 4' exhaust fans that vented the kitchen odours...everything in and around our room stunk like grease all day long!!! We had to keep telling our kids to keep the door closed, as the stench worked it's way in even with the door closed!! Aside from this issue, the only dining available is poolside which is fine for lunch...not so fine for dinner. Service was usually terrible, even at the walk-up bar. Apparently they had other things on their minds...we were NOT alone in this observation, it became a standing joke with other patrons!!!! This is not a bad hotel, it just isn't a good hotel...we checked out a day early and drove three hours north to the Omni in Orlando and as per usual for them...were treated like we mattered, we do!!!!

Room Tip: If you are in the main building, get a suite that is on the north end of the building...and preferab...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank OnTheBeach321

We appreciate your feedback. We realize the exhaust fans are an area for improvement and this is something we are looking into correcting.
The service associates have been made aware of your comments. We wish to provide nothing but exceptional service to all of our guests because you do matter. Our standard is to treat our guests like family and we are sorry that you left our resort without feeling cared for. We hope you will visit our resort again.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We reserved a Beach Villa Room with two bedrooms, two bathrooms. The accomodations were o.k., 3 star (maybe). Furnishings were just adequate. Another reviewer noted that the fridge had rust on it and ours did too, and something that appeared to be grease splattered all over the side. Room service is incredibly slow and even after repeated requests to have our room cleaned by 11, it never happened. Views from the decent sized, screened porch were nice, however the beach area at this resort is very bland. The views from the front window, overlooking the marina were beautiful. I do want for one person in particular to be recognized in this review. Each morning, at the breakfast buffet, we were seated (upon request after the first day) in area that was being served by a fella by the name of "Dane". Dane was, by far, one of the friendliest, knowledgeable, hard working waitstaff members I have ever encountered. He remembered that my mother liked grits and each morning he had some made just for her and brought them to the table. This item was not on the buffet and this was something that he took on his own accord to make sure that she had every day. Service like this may seem commonplace to some, but to me this very personal touch was a sterling example of outstanding customer service. Now, back to the rest of the review. The outdoor "bar and grill" Bongos, was a total disappointment. At an outdoor bar and grill, on the Gulf of Mexico, I have come to expect "bar food", hamburgers, chicken tenders, quesadillas, etc... Is an ICE COLD BEER to much to ask? Apparently so. The menu looked like it was from a gourmet restaurant rather than an outdoor bar and grill. Very disappointing. Service was HORRIBLE. We waited about 15 minutes before we saw anyone that appeared to be waiting tables and there were only about 5 tables seated in the entire place. I ordered a beer and the ladies ordered their drinks. Approximately 15 minutes later the waiter shows up with a can of beer and a plastic cup (which does not offend me at all, I'm from the South). The fact that beer was as hot as puppy pee, that offends me. After looking at the menu we determined that we would rather retire back to our villa and order take out Chinese and have a few drinks. What does that tell you about a bar and grill if you want to go back to your room rather than stay there? Yeah, that's what I thought. All things considered our experience was borderline OK to Good, but certainly not great, and in my opinion certainly not nearly worth the price of staying at the Pink Shell Resort and Marina. I would not stay here again nor would I reccommend the place to my friends and associates, based on the value to dollars spent.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank MisterEpps
SeniorPSR, Public Relations Manager at Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

We do apologize for the feelings of disappointment you had with your housekeeping request not being met. With specific housekeeping service times, we are able to meet almost all of those needs. Unfortunately, due to high occupancy and several housekeeping requests, we were unable to meet your request of service by 11am.
In our restaurant, we do try to accommodate all tastes and expectations. For those looking for “bar food”, we offer chicken wings, flatbread pizza, fried calamari, fish and chips, and BBQ ribs. For variety, we also offer several fresh salads, marinated steaks, and local gulf seafood such as grouper, mahi-mahi and red snapper.
Thank you for your sincere compliments in regards to our restaurant server, Dane. He is a wonderful associate- he was awarded associate of the year in 2012. We are happy that you found him to be exceptional and that he helped make your stay memorable.
We regret to hear that you will not be staying with us in the future. Should you visit this area again, we would welcome a second chance to wow you with an experience that so many of our guests write about.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Upon my stay I noticed 4 kids pools. However no hot tub. The location is good. The staff in general was good except for the food servers outside, which were pretty bad. This place was made for kids. The complementary buffet was great though.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Danoc38

The Pink Shell is a great beachfront resort- we are designed to accommodate both couples and families. We have three pools open to all resort guests. The main pool, located on the White Sands pool deck, is the largest with a coral reef arch and waterfall. One end of the pool is a zero depth entry which gradually descends to the other end of the pool to a depth of 5 feet. This pool is adjacent to our pool deck bar and restaurant, Bongo’s and JoJo’s. The second pool, located on the Captiva pool deck, is designed for children. This is a shallow pool with spraying water features. The third pool, located on the Sanibel View pool deck, is for both adults and children, but mostly attracts adults because it is away from the main area of the resort.
Our service staff receives hands-on training to meet and exceed our standards and policies. Perhaps what you experienced with our food and beverage team were a few new associates just nervous serving for the first time on their own.

We thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the resort and overall were pleased with this resort. We received a room upgrade upon checking in and had fabulous view of the gulf! The room was nice. Just a few opportunities : the mattress was a little hard, the fridge had rust running down the front & the handle to the balcony door came off. ALL VERY minor in our opinion. The staff was friendly and efficient.
I would stay here again if I were in the area - they have a beach/view you can't beat!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AlohaKatie99
Reviewed February 16, 2013

helpful, friendly staff. great room. great beach and pool. great location. family friendly. we had a room on the sixth floor of building 3, facing the gulf. the hotel calls it a villa suite. it had 2 balconies, one with a hot tub. we would stay here again and recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: building 3, 6th floor. gulf view. if you can get it, it's worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
#9 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach
Sandpiper Gulf Resort
Sandpiper Gulf Resort
#8 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!