“Captiva Suite was beautiful”

Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
ny
“Captiva Suite was beautiful”
Reviewed March 26, 2008

I stayed at the Pink Shell in February 2008. I was booked for a suite in the Captiva building. I received a good rate for the room but still was leary of my accomodations upon my arrival as I had not stayed there before. Also, the hotel rates are higher than most others. I truly was amazed at the resort and my suite. The suite was way big enough for the two of us, overlooked the gulf, and was cleaned every day. There was always staff around in pink shirts to help out. The outside of the resort was also cleaned every day. The outside beach activities were a little high in cost but were very convenient. Their staff (Holiday Beach Sports)was very helpful and worth the extra money. I would surely return.
I liked when I would see the management respond to negative reviews in this forum to state their side of the issue. Most resorts don't do that. I saw that they took pride in their hotel during my stay. My stay was great.

Stayed February 2008
4 Thank gjw124

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (986)
Reviewed March 18, 2008

My husband and I went to Ft. Myers and stayed at the Pink Shell Resort for a week in early Feb 2008. We had never been to this area before and read up on it in books and TripAdvisor. We got a great package thru American Airlines Vacations for air, car and hotel. We stayed in the Sanibel building and we loved it. While this is not a 4/5 star resort, it was just perfect for our stay. Very pretty, well maintained, high quality, good service, comfy but not snobbish. If you are looking for a 4/5 star resort like a Hilton in Hawaii, this is not it - but it IS a solid, good choice. Those resorts are over on Sanibel Island via toll bridge. We spent a day looking all over out of curiosity for the future, and the Pink Shell is the best for beach, access to town or shopping, eating in or out, convenience and spectacular sunsets. The giant super ritzy resorts on Sanibel are not facing the setting sun like the Pink Shell is - in Feb. at least. We had a ritual of a glass of wine on the screened lanai watching the sun set in a red blaze. There were dolphins playing just off shore. Some people would walk the beach in front of the resort, but only those from the resort actually were on towels or beach chairs - it was lovely to be so uncrowded, unlike the jammed areas by the park and pier. As in other posts, this end of the island is very peaceful. The trolley comes often and is only 25 cents. The shopping area is very commercial, has a party atmosphere like a carnival, but fun to see and then escape to the quiet end. We saw no problems and did see policemen (mostly for traffic) but you will see ALL kinds of people there. I would not go during spring break unless you are a spring breaker! Great seafood at Matazana's under the bridge next to the bay, the outside patio with the boaters is wonderful. Pink Shell had a lot of seniors and families with toddlers that week.

I was a little nervous re: posts about all the wedding and group partys being noisy. During the week we were there they had two events. One at our pool area with a great steel drum band playing right under our porch. It wasn't excessively loud and fun for free. They stopped by 10pm, the only downside was the workers who cleared the tables away and hauled back the lounge chairs and umbrellas yelling at each other and scraping the metal on concrete until 11:30pm. The second was a Hawaiin luau at the main building's pool which we could still faintly hear. I would be concerned only if they were doing this every night. The maids were fine, but don't do dishes. The room and the beds were very comfy. The kitchenette was great, we used it for breakfast after a morning beach walk. Our screened porch is larger and deeper than the other buildings. Altho older around the edges and not as new as the others, I would choose it anyway for quiet, size, price, convenience. Only thing I did not like was we were on the 3rd floor and people who park underneath had a habit of honking the horn when they locked it (you could not hear it if your sliding door to the porch was shut). Main pool bar service was great, altho we liked the upper open restaurant best. Best giant onion rings anywhere.

We will be back every year!

• Liked — The screened porch with padded lounge chairs overlooking beach and sunsets
  • Disliked — Employees quieter in the monrings/nights around pool
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank gagle
Ohio
Reviewed March 4, 2008

My husband and I visited the Pink Shell Beach Resort and Spa for a long weekend. The weather was perfect and a good chance to get out of the snow and ice of Ohio. Because of weather delays, it was after 1:00 a.m. when we checked in but the front desk clerk had all of our things ready and waiting, and the bell hop was available to help us with bags if we needed him to do so (when coming in that late at night, be aware you have to take an elevator up to the lobby from the parking lot. At first we couldn't figure out how to check-in). The lobby is beautiful and spacious. We received coupons for free breakfast each day of our stay and 2 free drink coupons. We stayed in a jacuzzi suite in the Captiva Villas building. It was on the end on the 7th floor. When you walk in the door of the room you see a large bathroom on your right, then a bedroom with a king sized bed, and then the living room and kitchen area. There is a large, flat-screen TV in both the bedroom and in the living room. The front balcony, off the living room, was a large screened-in area with a table and 4 chairs as well as some additional seating. It provided wonderful views of the Gulf. The back balcony, off the the bathroom, has a 2-person hot tub and two chaise lounge chairs. It has a view of the end of the island so you can see the Gulf as well as the bay. It was nice watching the boats come in and go out. Everything in the room was very clean and worked well, including the hot tub. Housekeeping seemed to be "invisible" in a good way. They always came when we were not in the room and always had things looking nice. There is a $10 "resort charge" added to the bill - which was explained at check-in. It covers parking, phones, beach towel service and Internet. Since many hotels charge more than $10 to park for the day anyway, it wasn't that big of an issue. There seemed to be ample parking - both covered and uncovered, as well as overflow parking across the street. When getting beach towels, the "towel policy" was explained very clearly - if you don't turn in your towels, you will be charged. The staff was always happy to refresh wet towels with clean, dry towels. The pool, as well as the pool area was large and cleverly decorated with an under the sea theme. The sand on the beach was so soft and there was not much surf. While some complain drinks were expensive, a draft beer was $3.50 at Bongos. If you want it cheaper, all you had to do was walk down to the 7-11 and pick up a 6 pack and put it in the refrigerator in your room. The breakfast buffet consisted of fruits, cereal, muffins, bacon, eggs, pancakes or french toast or you could have an omlette made. While it is a buffet, there is still a wait staff to get your drinks and clear your plates away. We had sandwiches at Bongos one evening and they were around $8. They were good and the waiter was attentive. This place is really in the best location. It is withing walking distance to the pier area and shops but because it is at the end of the island it is very quiet with no traffic. We had a great time and while it may be more expensive than some other hotels, it is worth it. We plan to go back again next year.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — All of the locked gates around the property - but I am sure they are needed
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Sands14
Chicago
Reviewed March 3, 2008

After doing much research, I believe we found the perfect family resort in the Pink Shell. I can't imagine what else this hotel could do to cater to families. We stayed in the White Sands Villas and the rooms were more like a condo than a hotel complete with a full kitchen (including dishwasher), washer and dryer. All dishes, silverware, and cups were provided. There was so much storage space and drawer space that we were able to put all of our stuff away and not feel like we were living out of suitcases!!!

The pool was great with a zero entry area and the edges of the pool are all 3 feet or under to provide for great areas to jump into the pool. The only 5 foot area is in the middle of the pool. They have a separate sprinkler area with multiple fountains that spray water. AND---- both the pool and sprinkler areas are heated!!!! The resort in right on the beach and the sand is some of the prettiest white sand in Florida. It is so soft that the kids didn't even mind getting sand all over themselves. The ocean is very shallow directly outside the resort so kids can wade quite a ways out. Very calm in the morning, the surf came up in the afternoon and provided some fun wave riding in the afternoon.

I think the kids menu had as many choices and the adult menus! On check-in, we received coupons for free breakfast buffet every day, which was wonderful. We ate all meals at the Pink Shell and didn't feel like we needed to leave the resort for anything. They have children's activities through out the day, including build your own sundaes.

I can't imagine a better family resort. We have booked for next year and plan to make this resort our annual family get away.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank twinmomchicago
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Somewhat "pricy", but nevertheless a great stay. As close to the sea you can get. Note, there is three separate buildings, We stayed in the Sanibel building with a beautiful view of the sea.
A 15 min walk to a restaurant/shopping area. Quiet and calm location.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank gell_nilsson
CT
Reviewed February 25, 2008

February 2008
Connecticut

We just returned from the Pink Shell and had a wonderful family vacation. If you have been reading reviews and have any hesitation about this destination, let me assure you it is wonderful!

We found the Pink Shell based on a recommendation of our travel agent. We have never visited the Gulf side of Florida so we were looking forward to exploring a new location. Usually we go to an all inclusive resort for a family vacation so I will make comparisons at the end of this review.

From the beginning of our vacation to departure I was very impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of all staff including the valet, registration & food servers.

Location: We loved the location of this hotel at the North End of the Island. It is within walking distance of Time Square and the Pink Shell is in the perfect location in my opinion. A surprise for us was the small Bowditch nature park nearby which we walked to every day to look for gopher tortoises. It was fun to walk along the beach and enter the park via a beach path and look for tortoises or admire the osprey pair nesting.

Room: We were in room 5702 on the seventh floor which was perfect. The room was about 700 square feet and spacious with a full kitchen, large bathroom and pretty master bedroom. The selling point for the room is the floor to ceiling windows in the living room and in the screened in balcony. It was wonderful to look down on the octipool as well as watch the sun set over the Gulf. As we walked to the room we enjoyed the view of the bay via the open air hallways. The room beside us, 5701 is a corner room and looked even bigger. The decor of the room was cream and white with shell decor ...beautiful and relaxing. The king bed was very comfy and I loved the access to the balcony, living space and bathroom with three seperate doors. This room was by far one of the prettiest and spacious suites we have vacationed in and really enhanced our vacation even though we spent very little time in our room.

The room included two Pink Shell robes which were nice for after a shower and to enjoy the view prior to going to supper. A sign did note that if you would like to purchase the robes they were available in the gift shop for $125 and the pink and white pool towels were $45 if purchased. Each morning we checked out 3-6 towels and returned them each evening. The towels were nice sized and thicker than normal hotel towels.

Restaurants: Our first meal was at Jo Jos, one of the restaurants at the Pink Shell. It was nice and the food was good and it was nice to enjoy the view and warm temps compared to the East Coast. The next day we ate at the Captiva restaurant for a breakfast buffet. It was nice but pricey so after that we tried off site restaurants like the Waffle House, Tim's Time Out and the Greek restaurant in Times Square. Tim's was our favorite and it was nice to take the trolley right outside the hotel or walk. For dinner we drove our rental car to various places, some of which were recommended by Trip Advisor posters. We enjoyed The Bridge & Parrot Key but our favorite was a restaurant found by chance...Charlies Boat House and Steak place. It had a very nice salad bar, service and meals. Actually all the meals we had were very good but we loved Charlie's so much we went back again for our last meal.

Pools: The Octipool is the main pool and very pretty but also the busiest although we were pleasantly surprised that it was not over run by kids or "towel/chair savers." Our preference was the pool on the far right as it was quieter and warmer. The views to the ocean were better too because the fence was lower.

Dislikes: I wish the Pink Shell didn't have all the fencing and key cards to access the pools and beach. I understand why they do but it is a pain. Plus the view of the ocean would be so much prettier poolside without the fencing. Probably my only other complaint is that the restaurants are pricey. We ate poolside at Bongos for lunch, for the convenience, and the food was good but does a child's smoothie really have to be $5.95? (We did receive 2 complimentary drink coupons at check in.) The servers at the Captiva buffet breakfast and Bongos were rather slow except for a young woman from Argentina (I think that is where she was from, she was nice, friendly and very customer oriented.)

We had planned to visit Captiva or Sanibel but a 5 night stay just goes by so quick!!! We did enjoy finding very pretty small shells on the beach and the sand was probably the BEST of all the beaches we have visited including Hawaii. It was so fine, soft and white and I saw many people building sandcastles as well as riding bikes on the compact sand nearest the water.

A nice surprise at the Pink Shell was the taping of Comcast interviewing Red Sox players. We are Yankee fans but my son was thrilled to listen to major league players and received two autographs that we will frame for his room. That was a wonderful surprise and an exciting sourvenir for our trip.

Comparison to all inclusives in Mexico:

Well...we certainly didn't miss the Cancun airport and the Pink Shell wins hands down for the best sand and beautiful room accomodations and friendly staff...so we would definately return but we missed quite a bit from our usual all inclusive Playacar vacations. We missed the unlimited drinks and food, the hammocks and all the daily activities that are available. Normally we participate in beach soccer, tennis, beach olympics, aerobics/stretching on the beach, etc. At the Pink Shell everything was extra. They did provide some children's activities like painting shells, making sundaes, etc but we were not impressed. Of course my son enjoyed the pools, beach, ocean, shelling and Bowditch Park. In the past we have visited the Sandos Playacar and the Iberostar Lindo and plan to return there in 2009. We loved the Pink Shell and would definately recommend it. The Pink Shell truly is a wonderful destination for a family vacation.

It was definately tough coming back to 6 inches of snow...wish we were still at the Pink Shell!!!

Stayed February 2008
7 Thank SilverStarfish
uk
Reviewed February 22, 2008

Great stay in studio rooms, 2 big beds and ample cooking facilities. Pool lovely and warm, kids loved the beach access and Hubby loved fishing off pier on the inland side. Bus stop right outside hotel so can easily get around. Hotel staff helpful and friendly even when we checked in at an unearthly hour. clean towles and maid every day during our 5 day stay
Breakfast expensive but shops within 15 min walk for supplies or 2 mins on bus.
Def go back again.

• Liked — Location location location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
#5 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach
DiamondHead Beach Resort
DiamondHead Beach Resort
#10 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!