Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Review Highlights
Just over three hours to Key West

We took this ferry to Key West in January with some friends. We stayed over for two nights but did... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
SirenaDives
Santa Barbara, California
Key West

The only way to travel to Key West! Been on the Express twice and both experiences were great... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago

Recommended experiences in and around Fort Myers Beach
from $21.30
from $42.60
from $400.00
from $662.50
2,036 results
All reviews return trip day trip stay overnight your luggage conch train fort myers top deck ferry terminal both ways play cards boarding process trip home getting sick before departure snack bar rough ride sit outside
Reviewed March 22, 2018 via mobile

Had another relaxing, enjoyable ride on the Key West Express. Just sat back in our chair on the lower deck until the weather warmed and then headed outside. On the ride back, headed to the top deck and enjoyed the view. Will do it again.

6  Thank jintfan89
KWE_Mgr, Manager at Key West Express, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2018

Guest opinions and comments are critical so that we know where we are meeting expectations and what we could improve upon. We love to hear from happy repeat visitors like you and value your input immensely!

Reviewed March 21, 2018 via mobile

Traveling on the Key West Express is something that I had been intrigued by for a number of years based on seeing the impressive boat in and around Marco Island. When the opportunity presented itself for me to take my college age children on the Key West Express from Ft. Myers, I was in!

The Key West Express ticketing process was efficient and the advanced directions were thorough and complete. We followed the provided directions exactly and arrived one-hour prior to the stated departure time to find that interior seats for us to sit together were already taken. We found exterior seats together on the partially covered middle deck. Our almost 4-hour trip to Key West was much cooler than expected. The primary drawback to this seating area was the strong exhaust smell from the boat and secondhand smoke from the lower level smokers’ deck.

The boat traveled at a steady clip, the South Florida shoreline within sight most of the trip. Our Key West Express cruise was mostly smooth and we were able to walk around the boat throughout the trip.

Overall my observation of the experience is that once on board, it was somewhat a “free for all” experience for passengers. Pre-sail seat selection/assignment, similar to some airlines and movie theaters, would have afforded a much nicer experience for travelers. Getting off the boat also took much longer than it should have.

Returning to the Key West Express terminal earlier than requested for our return trip was a priority for us to secure interior seats. This need seemed to loom over the limited amount of time that we had to spend in Key West on our day trip. We successfully reached the terminal and boarding queue early enough to obtain interior seats together. Wow, what a difference—the return trip was comfortable, and warm!

I am content with our experience but would not likely opt to travel on the Key West Express again.

Date of experience: March 2018

We appreciate your feedback, and are glad you were able to enjoy the return portion of your day trip excursion. March is the most traveled month of the year for us therefore capacity tends to be high. Assigned seating is something we have looked at incorporating, and continue to study feasibility. We hope you might reconsider and give us another try, perhaps spending a night or two the next time so that you are able to more fully enjoy the island destination.

Reviewed March 19, 2018 via mobile

I never write a bad review. But they just forced me to do it. Once you check in your luggage, you can't take it out. They don't mention that in their little instructions guide, nor was any announcements made. I went to take a jacket cause my mother was feeling cold and the guy was very rude and said You can't take anything out from you luggage just like in an airplane. The boat didn't even take of yet and I was only asking cause my mother was feeling cold. I am suing if anything happens to my parents. Writing in the boat waiting for the ferry to leave to fort Myers from key West.

2  Thank RaghavK19
KWE_Mgr, Manager at Key West Express, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2018

Temperature preferences are personal and though we cannot please all, settings may be cool for some which is why we do recommend a sweater or jacket. We ask guests to limit luggage size to carry-ons which fit beneath tables and seats which allow guest access. Due to space limitations larger pieces are stowed and access not permitted per security and safety regulations. We regret that an exception was not made on behalf of your mother as we had not yet departed and apologize for her discomfort and rude or unprofessional treatment by crew.

Reviewed March 18, 2018 via mobile

Trip from Ft Myers was relaxing and without issues.
Return trip was horrible secondary 1 crew member with poor attitude and being rude to almost every passenger.
Carried on a small rolling bag that went under the seat upon departure from Ft Myers.
With the return was told the boat was full and needed to check my bag on the back of the boat.
After sitting on the boat for about 45 minutes the same crew member came and jammed 2 bags that were twice the size of my carry on behind my seat. When asked why I could not place my bag behind my seat I was told directly we would not discuss this as the boat was full.
Seems that small carry bags should go under or behind seats but not according to this 1 crew member
Beware,,,,

5  Thank Paul C

Paul we are happy to know your originating journey was enjoyable. We respectfully request the opportunity to speak with you personally in order to properly address your concern. It does appear your return was on a Sunday evening which historically carries the largest passenger capacity of the week for us. Though we ask guests to limit luggage to small carry on sized pieces due to limited space for stowage, some exceed the limit. Regardless of the frustration for crew in safely securing guest baggage polite and courteous service and communication are expected. We appreciate your feedback and hope you may have a moment to reach out.

Reviewed March 16, 2018 via mobile

We left on a Wednesday and the boat had about 250 people onboard. It was a rough ride going down and very choppy waters. The crew is excellent. Helping people getting around on tbe boat. They have a CASH bar and a small galley. Lots of snacks. We came back on a Saturday and tbe boat was pretty full. Smooth ride and a lot of people went to sleep. They have chairs and tables around the perimeter of the boat and high back chairs in the middle. They showed a movie on the many TV screens. Yes I would do it again and not drive.

1  Thank Diane R

The best compliment we receive! You would do it again. We love to hear opinions both good and bad (good best however), as we can't fulfill expectations, needs or requests that are not voiced. We will be honored to welcome you back...and hope for smooth sailing both ways next time!