“Fantastic Leader fot shrimp tour”

Ostego Bay Marine Science Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Welcome to the Ostego Bay Foundation Marine Science Center located at 718 Fisherman's Wharf on San Carlos Island in Fort Myers Beach, Fl. For 26 years, the Center provides a Marine Science Experience through interactive exhibits, aquariums, touch tank, one of kind collections and unique displays. Open Monday - Saturday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. with both guided and self-guided tours. A donation of $5.00 per adult and $3.00 for children over 6 years of age is suggested. Always FREE for Foundation Members. Call for feeding times, it's an opportunity to see many of our reclusive marine specimens that come out of hiding for lunch. Touch a starfish, put your head in the mouth of a shark, see how sea turtles hatch, and much more. Open by appointment only July 12 through July 28th as we are hosting our annual Children's Summer Camp.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed March 15, 2012

My wife, a friend, and I went for the tour, We had a guide who was very personal and knowledgeable. She had us in stitches . the tour of the old building was a bit more than I expected, but the tour of the shrimpping operations was fantastic. Every one seemed to know our guide and was more than happy to talk to us. Seeing the behind the scene operation was really neet.. We had lunch with her and got even more facts.The operation of the Center could use a big grant help upgrade. Any one know a grant writer?

1  Thank DMWFB

Reviewed June 27, 2011

While the place is small and nothing fancy, the people know what they are talking about. We had nine in our group and the guide made sure we heard about everything in the place. She pointed out all the animals in the touch tank and let the kids touch and hold some. Unfortunately we went on our very last day of our trip. Later that day when at the beach, we all kept finding things we had learned about earlier at the science center. It was so helpful to now know what we were looking at and looking for. The kids loved trying to find things on the beach and under the water. I wish we had gone earlier in the week and had more time to explore the beach for the animals and shells we were introduced to. It is worth the small donation that they require you to make! :)

6  Thank mardigrasbound
Reviewed April 7, 2011

This center, while nothing fancy, is a wonderful way to get a more thorough understanding of the aquatic life that has such an impact on the area. Make sure that you do the shrimp boat tour with the museum. It's the most fascinating part of the experience. You'll see how the shrimpers do their work, and how the shrimp are processed for selling. For a great completion to you visit, finish it off with lunch at Beach Seafood. Talk about fresh!

6  Thank Wally304
Reviewed December 29, 2010

The science center is not very modern but the staff, both times we have gone, take the time to tell you about the live animals and shells, etc. that are in there so you learn so much about the wild life and it makes it very interesting. An hour or two is all you need, and the kids love it. They are able to hold live sea stars, snails, and more.

3  Thank melissachi
Reviewed February 20, 2009

My wife and I decided to take a drive down to the Ostego Bay Marine Science Center today. After arriving and paying a small entry donation I felt as though I should have donated more. The science center looks as though there hasnt been any real science studied there in several years. I got the distinct feeling that the organizer of the non-profit was long gone and the current management was still using their name against their wishes. There were several hundread varied sea life on display in a varity of states of remains including pictures, skeletal samples, and taxidermy. There were some good pictures of Loggerhead Turtles and some info on them. Did you know that parts of Florida require you to maintain your beach side porch lighting so that it doesnt cast on the beach? Apparently it distracts baby turtles from heading back to the ocean. The touch tank where you were supposed to interact with animals contained nothing but a few starfish, a few conch, and 2-3 little fish. There is also a section of tanks around the room that all looked as if there were overdue for a cleaning and some seemed devoid of any life at all. All in all a waste of time. Even though I feel as though I should have donated more money I kind of feel that it might fall on a lost cause. Hope others find this a better experience than I did. If you go I recommend calling ahead for special events. I heard the receptionist say they give a guided walking tour of the area that encompases a trip to the local shrimp processing center. That might be worth a look.

8  Thank rporschen