“tucked away-Cheap eats”

Castaways
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Castaway’s Bar and Grill is located on the quaint south end of Fort Myers Beach. We invite your family to join ours; experience casual dining, island style. Indulge yourself in our fresh, local menu. From burgers and sandwiches, to delectable entrees, we are sure you will find something you love. Perfectly end your evening at the bar, singing and dancing the night away to one of our many live band performances. You will not leave disappointed.
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We traveled down the road from our hotel, and wanted an appetizer and a drink. This is in a strip mall, but the staff was really great, and lots of locals. Fast service and cheap! Portions were large. Felt like home town pub!

Janette M, Public Relations Manager at Castaways, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you for stopping by at Castaways Bar & Grill in Fort Myers Beach.

We greatly appreciate your feedback and suggestions and our guests often tell us how helpful it is to read other people’s reviews before their visit. I have forwarded your comments to the owners and if you would like to speak to us directly, please feel free to call me at 239-226-1806.

Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Castaways

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Went here because it was listed in aaa, the restaurant was only 1/3 filled at dinner in a crowded area on the south end of the island. That should have been a clue. They had a stage area and apparently have a band nightly and may be more of a bar with bar food. The grilled salmon was bite size and way over cooked. Crab cakes were very brady and needed a lot of tarter sauce (had to request) to make it edible. Each dinner sat on a scoop of very down sticky rice that was pretty bad and served more as a platform to make the dinner look bigger and worth the high price.

1  Thank parrybike

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We visited Castaways after hearing a good recommendation for its pizza and nightlife while we were eating at another restaurant. We figured we'd give it a try.

We went on a Tuesday, and the place was not too busy when we got there. My wife ordered a pizza- white pizza with garlic, and was very happy with it. The crust was homemade, thin, and good. She enjoyed the flavors of the toppings, which she said were delicious.

I ordered the chix parm, which was just OK. The chicken was overdone, to the point of being dry and a bit tough. (Incidentally, it wall grilled, not fried. Not a problem to me, just different) The marinara sauce that it came with was good and tasty. However the dry chicken really hurt the dish. Too bad, and easily correctable. Also, it was supposed to come with garlic bread, which they forgot. When I reminded the waitress that it was supposed to come with this she first insisted that it did not, but then re-appeared a few minutes later with a side of garlic bread. While I appreciate the fix, the bread was no prize; buttered toasted bread with maybe some garlic powder sprinkled on.

In all, the pizza was a big success, the pasta not so much so. That could well have been just an off event, hard to say after visiting once. If we were to return for dinner though I would probably have the pizza and curiously watch how the other dishes going out looked and the customers reacted.

The band started playing at 8:00, and this was fun. An older group of musicians played to an even older crowd, and the crowd was loving it, dancing, and having a good time. The music rocked; mostly "classic" rock from the 60's through the 80's, and the band was pretty good. I guess they play until midnite, although we didn't stay that late. We did return a couple of nights later just to listen to the band, a different set of musicians on the latter night.

I would say it is a good place to go for casual food and a good time on the quiet end of the island. Certainly the partying "locals" dancing to the music invigorate the scene as well. I would return if/ when we return to FMB.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We went to Castaways for St Patricks day. The service was exceptional,the food very good. Danny was our server and I only wish all waitstaff was like him. They had music all day, cocktails served outside,plenty of room. It was a good time.

Thank you for stopping by at Castaways Bar & Grill in Fort Myers Beach.

We greatly appreciate your feedback and suggestions and our guests often tell us how helpful it is to read other people’s reviews before their visit. I have forwarded your comments to the owners and Danny..

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We arrived at our hotel at 9:50p and got checked in as quickly as possible. Fresh off the KW Express, we were starving. First 3 places we checked into were closed at 10p. Last in the string was Castaways.

On any other night, I would have been fine with what we got. But after saving our appetite for a good fish meal (Friday in Lent, no less), we were disappointed to find that while the kitchen at Castaway was open, they had switched to their 'late night' menu of fried things and pizza. All in all, this was pretty horrible pizza and amazingly greasy fried things.

Would love to tell you about their menu, but they wouldn't even get out one of the regular menus after 10p.

Good new/bad news - at 10p, the band started up. All your favorite 80's rock and roll, poorly sung by a garage band. But it was entertaining to see that there is life for the over 70 set that seems to populate this place.

On an up-note, our waitress Sandy was a delight.

Janette M, Public Relations Manager at Castaways, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014