“Couldn't Ask for More”

Carousel Inn on the Beach
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed five nights at the Carousel Inn and loved every minute. I knew the property was older (from the 60's according to one of the managers) but like a fine wine, it improved with age. The room was very large and well lit. The main part of the room had 3 windows, the kitchen area 1 the bath 2. The beds were very comfortable. I was told that the rooms had been redone two years ago, so everything was in nice condition. I was amazed at the cleanliness of the room. I think we all expect clean, but I coudn't find a speck of dust anywhere. I checked the top of the bedboard and a/c unit, which by the way worked beautifully. I looked for dust on the window frames and the slats of the blinds, and could find none. The appliances in the kitchen were as spotless as those in my own home. The vanity and bath areas were also pristine. I suggested to Manager John, that he give his staff a raise as they deserved it. The room had a bistro table with 4 chairs, good lighting with 3 lamps, and two comfortable upholstered chairs. We enjoyed the nice flat screen tv, and made use of the room safe. The pool, which is located on the street side of the building was as clean as the room. The pool area was so inviting, just like at home. FYI--this is a two story motel but to get into the first floor rooms you must go up 3 or 4 steps which could be an issue for a handicapped person. I was told they have one room with no steps but that the bath is very small and wouldn't accomodate a wheelchair. They have 4 oceanfront rooms, but with all the rooms being offset, it really isn't necessary to have one as the water can be viewed from a side angle. This motel is located in the quiet area of the beach and convenient to shops and restaurants. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I've been going to Ft. Myers Beach for 30 years and rented condos for a week or two several times a year. I was very apprehensive about going into a motel, and an older one at that. I had nothing to worry about with staying at the Carousel Inn. Book a room here and you won't be sorry. You'll have a wonderful stay in a place that's clean and well maintained. We'll go back for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room nearest the beach as it cuts down on the walk. The beach here is very, very wide.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Live in Bradenton..looking to get away...found the Carousel Inn on Ft Myers Beach. Love it! Homey feel....nice color scheme...spotless. Building is built in a great way allowing everyone a view of the ocean from their own balconey. Away from the touristy downtown of Ft. Myers - very quiet. Did go in to the bars at night...because the tiki bar (next hotel over) closes early @10-pm. Trolley's do not run at night either so plan on a cab ride.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2012

If we didn't have our dog with us I would have rated this motel lower for a 2 star on the beach.

THE LOCATION Very easy to find and on the quiet end of Ft. Myers beach. The motel is beach front. Depending on the tide it can be about a 1/4 mile walk to the water but the sand is soft and makes for an enjoyable walk. The location made for easy access to spend the afternoon on the beach, return to the room to cook dinner, and return to the beach to watch the sunset. This end of the beach is also rather quiet and a good place for families with small children. Ft. Myers beach is also dog friendly as long as they are kept leashed. The location on Ft. Myers beach is about 1 mile south of a full sized Publix and a 7-11 within close walking distance.

THE ROOM At first glance the room was decorated nicely with updated colorful paint and newer bedding. The wall A/C unit was extremely loud and upon further inspection the room was kind of dirty with food on the kitchen wall, a rather large unidentified stain on the bathroom door, and mold above the shower. The room was dark when we entered and after opening the blinds we could see the carpet was stained in several places, most likely from pets which would make sense because we were in a pet friendly room. Despite the stains the carpet did look clean though. The bedding was really cheap - extremely thin pillows and the sheets were a scratchy material.

THE DOGS because this hotel is pet friendly it attracts people ,like us, with pets. The rooms on both sides of us also had dogs and we were well aware of this because the owners of both rooms left their dogs in the rooms while they went out for the evening. This would not have been an issue expect the dogs barked and howled excessively for several hours. It caused other dogs in the motel (including ours ) to occasionally join in. It was like trying to sleep in the pound. This really isn't the inn's fault but more the fault of inconsiderate owners, but it made for a really awful night of sleep with crappy sheets and pillows.

Would I stay here again? No, there are other pet friendly options on the beach.
Would I recommend it to a friend? probably not.

There was nothing spectacular about this hotel that would make me recommend it to anyone.
With tax and pet fee we paid approximately $130 for the night. I would definitely not recommend paying anymore than this if you decide to stay here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We have a family of 5 and the Carousel Inn was very spacious. We really enjoyed having a kitchen available so we could whip up something if we needed or wanted. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The onsite laundry was very convientant. We will diffently come back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My cousin was visiting from Jersey and i decided lets go down to the beach we drove down from Tampa via Orlando ! Loved the area our room was great, we got a 2 queen bed room and had more that enough space, in room safe Free WiFi, nice size kitchen. staff was great ! plan on visiting again soon this place was great for the price and look forward to my next visit

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Carousel Inn's main attraction is it's proximity to the beach. This is especially true if you manage to score one of the four rooms that has a balcony (one long shared balcony/entryway for two rooms) facing the beach. Not that the other rooms are all that far away, but it was nice to sit on the balcony with some coffee in the morning, or a beer in the afternoon. The room itself is fine. It was large, clean, and had a small kitchen. Pots and pans are limited, but I wasn't expecting to cook much anyway. I imagine for a longer vacation, where you are eating in a lot it would be nice to have a couple of more things (I'm looking at you skillet). The only other real negative to the room was that the walls were paper thin, especially in the bathroom. Still, how much time do you really spend in the room at one of these places?

There is a small pool located near the office, which was much more refreshing than the Gulf. After a morning run I would head to the pool to cool off, before going back to the beach. There seemed to be a fair amount of shops around, including a restaurant right across the street (nothing special, but it worked).

One other note, we were in town for a smallish family wedding, and most of the Inn was rented out by wedding guests, especially Saturday night. While we stayed Sunday night, many guests were checking out then. However, the front desk (owners?) allowed people to check out late, and even keep their room for the day (for a nominal fee) if it wasn't rented out for Sunday night. I know that some money is better than no money, but that seemed like a nice touch.

Overall, not being a beach vacation type (and not having been involved in picking the hotel), I was pleasantly surprised. I imagine the fancier hotels have more bells and whistles, but if you are coming just to hang out on the beach I can certainly recommend The Carousel Inn

Room Tip: Try to get rooms closer to the beach (141-144 I believe).
Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Steve P
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We had stayed at this hotel about 15 yrs. ago. Although the location and view are wonderful, the hotel was disappointing. It was clean but definitely in need of updating. We were going to be in the area again in July and wondered what it was like now. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor that it had been remodeled, we decided to try it again. We were very pleasantly surprised! This is not a fancy motel/hotel, just a nice place to relax and enjoy the view of a great beach! Has a kitchenette and you can walk down the beach to a great tiki bar at the hotel next door or across the street to a great restaurant or movie. If you're not into fancy hotels, but a nice relaxing laid back spot, this is the place.

Room Tip: Recommend trying to get a beachview room rather than a gulfview, but very hard to get.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple