“The Wost Customer Service EVER!!! DO NOT GO!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maria's Backwater Bar & Grill

Maria's Backwater Bar & Grill
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Wost Customer Service EVER!!! DO NOT GO!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

We had a family of 20+ go on vacation to Ft. Myers Beach. The grandparents gave the younger adults a night away from the kids. We bought a restaurant.com gift certificate months ago because it was a good deal.
The 10 of us walked in and the first thing we noticed was a sign that said they no longer accepted restaurant.com gift certificates. So I inquired as to why they would not accept something that they decided to put up on restaurants.com which I paid good money for. Their response was all over the place and lackluster at best. It ranged from; "It was putting us in the hole so we aren't accepting it, we did not sign up for it, Maria is out of town and I am not sure why we are not accepting it, we are the best restaurant in Ft. Myers..."
It was not necessarily about the money, it was the way they handled things. I would rather give my business to a place that treats its customers hospitably!
I would expect to see Marias out of business by my next visit to the area!!!!

• Visited November 2011

Carmel, Indiana
“They should have been closed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

My fiance and I are all about trying "holes in the wall" and off the beaten path, away from tourist zone places. So we went to Maria's which is exactly that, a hole in the wall. It was BYOB which we wished we had known before hand. Our server was very nice, friendly and accomdating. However, they were out of everything. No chowder, no shrimp, no crabs (as advertised in huge letters outside). She said Maria was gone for a few days so they were out of everything. It was strange. If you don't have food to serve, which I understand because it's based on the availabity of food from the sea, you should close or not advertise that you have something you don't. We didn't stay.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ellington, Connecticut
“Awesome good, I love good all you can eat fish places !!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Everytime I go to visit my parents house in Ft Myers I have to go to Maria's for the all you can eat fish. Some say the service is bad but I think its just that the owner is understaffed. This is a small place with good food and prices - the end

• Visited November 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Fort Myers, Florida
“Could it get worse? It did!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

Thought we'd try Maria's. Never again will I disregard my instinct to get up and leave. My husband and I should have left when: 1) it took about 45 minutes to have our order taken when, other than one other couple already eating, were the only people in the place and then it was by the old man owner not the wait staff who had been sitting at a table across from us during the whole time talking, 2) friends who came in the back door 30 minutes after we did got served immediately with wait staff joing them with their own pile of food, 3) the same sleepy, hazed high on god knows what teenage boy who slapped our drink order together brought our over priced, small servings, hot sauced called "smoked" grouper while talking on his cell phone and never came back to ask how we were doing...however... 4) the same doped up waiter had the "****" to come out to the parking lot and ask "Did you forget to leave a tip?" and blames the cook for our long wait and his crappy service and 5) (the best) when this kid yells at us to never come back. Yeah, I will never doubt my instincts again. Save your $30 that you would have spent on a lousy piece of smoked fish, a quarter cup of below average slaw and mushy, microwaved, store bought hushpuppies and get a $5 salad at McDonalds. The taste this experience left in our mouths and minds, to say nothing of the stink on our hands, lasted for days....Trust your instincts and spend your hard earned dollars someplace deserving. By the way, this is the first time in my life I have never left a tip.

• Visited August 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
“Good things come in small restaurants!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

We were on our way to another restaurant but we were led to what we classified as a ‘hole in the wall’. Glad we did. Clearly no upscale ambience but good food. We just went there to eat and we enjoyed ourselves. All u can eat fresh fish, but must keep asking for another order. Each order is about four fish. Comes out hot. The cole slaw was very good! Both orders came out hot and delicious. Good place to have fun with a group and relax. Would definitely repeat.

• Visited May 2011