“What a view!”

Matanzas on the Bay
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Description: Specializing in fresh local seafood, choice Angus steaks, Seed to Table produce and Dave's famous Dockside Pizza, we are Southwest Florida's best waterfront restaurant. Live music and Happy Hour daily!
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Great view of the bay if you are sitting outside. You just might even get to see some wild life, we got pelicans...lol. Nice jazz playing live during dinner. Food was ok, but not near as good as it should have been for that type of restaurant and prices.

Petrarca828, General Manager at Matanzas on the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Thank you for coming to our restaurant and taking the time to share your comments. Perhaps you could write me at Glen@matanzasinn.com to tell me a little more about your food experience. We are always trying to improve. ~Glen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed June 22, 2014

One person in our group ordered crab cakes....they looked like grey mushy pancakes drizzled with cheez whiz. She said they were very doughy. The rest of us ordered the blackened seafood platter. It was the hottest blacked food I have ever eaten in my life. Two of us like spicy food and were able to eat the food...but out mouths were burning. The other person sent her order back and got broiled seafood platter. It came out with absolutely no seasoning at all...no sauce, no salt or pepper. The waitress never apologized for the bad food, but said I told you it was really spicy (no she didn't). The crab cakes were removed from the bill. The uneaten blackened seafood platter/broiled tasteless seafood platter was still charged $28. My friend stated she didn't think she should have to pay since she didn't eat the food, but offered to pay for the salad and bread she ate. The waitress took her bill and came back and said "here". I will never go back there and would not recommend this place to anyone.

1  Thank MrsH0622
Petrarca828, General Manager at Matanzas on the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

I am very disappointed to hear about your experience with us that evening. While our goal is to deliver the best food and drinks with friendly service in a relaxing and beautiful atmosphere, we certainly came up short with your party. Please contact me at Glen@matanzasinn.com so that I can correct this with you, it would be my pleasure. ~Glen

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I am not sure what it is about this restaurant but I keep heading back every year I am in FL. My local Family don't think it's the best place to go but as a traveler I love it. it is on a inlet overlooking boats. The birds flying through and the dolphins swimming by make it worthwhile for me. The food has always been good maybe a tad overpriced. I tend to get the grouper sandwich and this last time tried the stuffed mushrooms which were excellent. I have always sat outside as the inside is run down and you can't beat the dock view. I like that it is a whole in the wall restaurant good views and good food. Its at least worth a try. Staff has always been great too.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we sure appreciate you coming back year after year. While we have a superb location, there is always work to be done in updating our facilities and delivering value to all of our guests. Currently we have plans for our inside bar and bathrooms this summer. Hope you will notice the differences on your next visit! ~Glen

Reviewed June 21, 2014

only stopped for drinks but good, friendly service and great views of the Caloosahachi (SP?) river. Air conditioned inside nice outside tables with big unbrellas.

Thank you for stopping by for drinks. You were actually looking at Estero Bay. Hope to see you soon. ~Glen

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Doesn't look like much from the front, but when you get to the outdoor patio in back you can see this place is awesome. Our table was 6 feet from the bay. Our server, Joe, did a great job. There was excellent live music upstairs, perfect for outdoor dining downstairs as it was enjoyable but not too loud. The food was excellent, and the prices were fair. After visiting about a dozen restaurants over 2 weeklong vacations to Sanibel, this is our favorite place so far in Sanibel, Captiva, or Fort Myers Beach. We will definitely go here again.

Wow, there is some great competition on those islands and we are ecstatic that you think we are the best! Thank you for your visit. Please ask for me the next time you come in. ~Glen