“Decent food in a casual setting”
Review of The Beached Whale

The Beached Whale
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: The best BBQ and Seafood restaurant on the Fort Myers Beach featuring outdoor dining and happy hour Mon-Fri from 2-5! Amazing food, spectacular service, and 26 TV's for all your family's sports fans!
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
“Decent food in a casual setting”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Beached Whale offers a good variety of casual menu items, including seafood. The prices are reasonable for a tourist restaurant and, although not special, the food is always fresh and prepared well. I personally do not care for indoor section here- I find it too dark and over-air-conditioned but the upstairs deck is nice (especially on cooler days) with views of the town and the beach. The restaurant has great happy hour deals ($1.00 draft beer, $5.00 pitchers, and our favorite: $5.00 plates of steamed mussels in a tomato-wine broth which can be a bit on the salty side but otherwise delicious at a great price!). We've tried a variety of sandwiches (the Philly cheesesteak was good), the shrimp scampi flatbreads, the grouper and the BBQ chicken, all properly cooked. The bar staff also makes a good mojito. Nothing to get too excited about but I recommend it to people nonetheless.

St. Louis
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“3 B's”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Beer-Great prices during happy hour.
Bands-Awesome entertainment.
Bread-You will want to order extra for the delicious broth the Mussels are served in. You won't want to leave any behind!
Also worth trying: Grouper Sandwich, Conch Chowder, Wings, Raw Oysters, Seared Tuna Appetizer

• Visited August 2012
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
“good atmosphere”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We were looking for a place to watch our Patriots and the hotel suggested the Beached Whale. The staff wad very friendly and made us feel comfortable right away. They have a TON of tv's and the NFL package so they had every game going. The waiter came over with a remote and put our game on before even taking our order! Priorities... We ordered drinks; unfortunately the bar taps were not working (unforgivable on a football Sunday) so all they had was bottled beer and mixed drinks. But the beer was cold and the margarita's were good too. We ordered buffalo shrimp which was amazing, and nachos which were not. They use a cheese sauce instead of melted cheese, and that made the macho chip soggy very quickly. All in all, we would go there again, maybe to try the rooftop deck which looks like a blast at night!

Naples, Florida, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Happy hour”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Happy hour used to be good and it ended at 6pm. It now ends at 5pm, so those of us who work can't make it. Also, they have a hidden fee they say is for the band. Even if you don't listen to the band there is a band fee. Aslo, even if the band isn't there, there is a "band" fee.
There are plenty of other options on the beach. I suggest you check them out and make sure you get what you pay for.
Too bad! It used to be a fun place.

• Visited September 2012
thebeachedwhalefmb, Manager at The Beached Whale, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our business. We do not mean to inconvenience anyone by ending happy hour at 5:00, happy hour is still a full 3 hours starting at 2:00. We had to make changes last year to accommodate our growing dinner crowd.
This is the first I have ever heard of a "band fee", and our happy hour drink prices have been the same for years. I truly hope you give us an opportunity to change your mind about our establishment not being fun.
Please be sure to ask for a manager if you decide to stop for a future visit. I would love to listen to your opinions, good, or bad as we are all about customer satisfaction.

Thank you.
Hollywood, Florida
“Mediocre food and nickel and dimed.”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were two hungry diners looking for a good meal. We could tell it was a neighborhood place, people seemed to know each other and usually this is a good sign. I ordered the chicken taco salad. When it came out, it looked appetizing. It had some warm chicken, some black beans, lettuce, tomato, salsa and some tortilla chips, but I couldn't find any cheese. I asked the waitress about it when she checked in and she said it probably melted but would I like some more. I said yes and she brought me a small plastic cup with some shredded cheddar. The salad was fine but nothing special. My husband had the half rack of ribs and it was the smallest half rack I ever saw. When he finished, he thought about ordering something else but we decided to quit while we were ahead. What we didn't expect when we were paying the bill was to be charged for the little cup of cheddar cheese!!! When we asked the waitress she said that that are her instructions-customers are even charged if they ask for extra sour cream for their potatoes etc. Just another reason not to go back. So be forwarned!!

• Visited August 2012
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about our restaurant. I believe there may have been some miscommunication coming from your server about extra charges. I would really like an opportunity to give you a more pleasurable dining experience, and hope you give us another chance one day soon. Please feel free to ask for a manager, It is our pleasure to fix mishaps. We are all about communication, and customer satisfaction.

Thank you.