“Cancelled reservation at the last minute and left us with no place to stay”
Review of Beacon Motel

Beacon Motel
Ranked #45 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Reviewed June 7, 2013

On February 18, 2013, my husband and I made reservations at the Beacon Beachfront Bed & Breakfast for June 03 - June 05, 2013 for a cottage suite (see description below) and paid a $128.87 deposit which was non-refundable within 30 days of check-in. We were going to be visiting my parents in the Fort Myers area and decided to splurge for a two-day stay on Fort Myers Beach. We made non-refundable plane reservations for us and our two children ages 3 and 4 to fly to Fort Myers.

On Monday, May 20, Bonnie (the manager) called to tell me that she was canceling our reservation because they had decided to put in a new swimming pool and our room was no longer available because they needed that space. I requested that she find alternative accommodations for us on the beach that would be comparable to the cottage suite including the separate living room and continental breakfast. After frequent phone calls and some pressure, she offered us a plain motel room in their motel not located directly on the gulf. We refused and again requested comparable accommodations. On Saturday, May 25, she informed us that she was canceling our reservation and returning our deposit. One week before check-in and we had no place to stay for those two days.

We feel that when they chose to install a pool on their property at the last minute, that part of the cost of installing that pool should have been to find comparable alterative accommodations for guests with reservations guaranteed with a deposit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank roett

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were only at this hotel for one night. We booked because we were taking the Key West Express Ferry the next morning. We arrived at 5:30 pm and left the next morning at 7 am so not much time to really get to know the property. The room was nice - queen size bed and a sitting area and a small kitchen. Our room overlooked part of the beach and the hotel is RIGHT on the beach. For the rate - $69 - it was a good deal. Warning to others who may be staying longer - there are no hair dryers or shampoo provided like other hotels. Since we were taking the ferry - I just pulled my hair back and put on a baseball cap so not problem - but if we were staying longer I would not have been happy about that. (But in defense of the hotel - I took when it said they had "dryers" as a hair dryer and I think it meant clothes dryer.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I LOVE THIS PLACE!! Bonnie and the staff are so friendly. I’ve stayed there twice already. Planning to go back this summer. The rooms are soooo clean. It is on the beach. If you’re staying in the main Cottage your view is the ocean. If you stay in the other rooms you just walk out your door and a few feet to the ocean. So close. The breakfast in the morning was very nice. Yogurt, cereals, bagels, muffins, fruit, juice, milk and coffee. A few other items too. It does get a noisy from the nearby bars but really I didn’t mind joining the party and it didn’t keep me up. It’s a perfect romantic spot or with family. I day dream about going back all the time. Clean spacious rooms, awesome staff, on the beach, great priced, full kitchen so you can cook, sunset views, a little grill outside that you can cook on. The beds are so comfortable! The AC works great. If you want exclusive then go to Sandals. This isn’t exclusive but it’s perfect. Must check this place out!!! And you don’t have to pay for the whole stay upfront, just one night… no biggie. I’d rather have my vacay paid before I go anyway.

Room Tip: Beach Cottage #11, it's your very own place! Hardwood floors, on the beach. You're not att...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The room was adequate for an overnight stay, but overpriced. Found an open can of energy drink in the fridge. It was very noisy all night from the band and bar goers next door to a truck's backup beeper making a delivery next door. The breakfast was in a tiny little room with ceilings so low that some men couldn't Stand up straight. The breakfast consisted of awful coffee, yogurt, juice, cellophane wrapped bagels and muffins. We would not stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Mrsrudi
Reviewed March 11, 2013

When I booked our trip, we felt as though the Beacon was a quaint B&B and we would have the "vacation of our dreams" as the website boasts. (We were also required to pay for our stay upfront which was wierd). However, we were greeted with thousands of noisy, college Spring Breakers, a tiny room, & an uncomfortable bed with headboard that slammed against the wall every time I rolled over. There were no curtains on the windows, therefore the porch lights made the room look like daylight at night. The noise leval was sooo loud, we checked out at midnight. When I spoke with the manager, she offered us a free night stay at another time. However, I will NEVER stay at this hotel again! We were not offered any other compensation for our stay. I warn any traveler against this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laurie0811
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at beginning of Feb' 13. Found the location to be really good, did not experience any of the noise issues from the nearby bar. The room was really nice and very clean. Breakfast was lovely. Bonny was very helpful letting us use her phone to report that our hire car had been bumped into at a supermarket. All in all a very pleasant stay. We will definitely stay there again next time we visit Fort Myers Beach. Recommended!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This beach hotel (not directly on the beach, set back behind another building) is a good budget choice IF you are not a light sleeper. There is a bar directly to the left and in front of the hotel (between the hotel and the beach) named The Cottage. When you arrive, there is a sheet posted in the room that says: "To our valued guests: Should you feel disturbed by the uncomfortable noise level coming from The Cottage or any other establishment, please contact the Lee County Sheriff at 239-477-1830 and complain about the situation and they will resolve the problem." I guess that should have clued us in right away that it would be noisy. Yes, it was noisy at night, but not something I would feel comfortable calling the sheriff about. It's just the proximity of the bar (right next door) and the thin walls. If you are a deep sleeper or if you can put in ear plugs and sleep (I tried ear plugs, still didn't block the noise sufficiently), it may work for you. Just beware of the noise level before booking.

Room Tip: Ask for room 11 or 10, both of which have the best views and are the furthest away from the next doo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple