“A very nice place to stay”

Sun Deck Inn & Suites
Ranked #27 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Our group stayed at the Sun Deck in February 2013. We had researched other places and found this to be the most affordable for what we needed. Although, the Sun Deck does not have a pool or the atmosphere of a 5 star resort...it is very inviting. We did not plan on being in our condo much so we didn't need much. The Sun Deck is an older building and some of the building is in need of repairs or upgrading but the location is great. Within 3 blocks to the beach, a block away from the Smokin Oyster Brewery and other restaurants and bars are very close. We never used the trolley however it is only 50 cents and will take you about anywhere you want to go. Rae met us when we checked in and she gave us a quick tour of the property and it was ours. She would come in everyday and bring new towels for bathrooms and make sure all was good. She didn't bother us and we didn't have to bother her. The Sun Deck is nice but if you want something more lavish then find somewhere else. However, if you were like us and didn't want to be in the room except to sleep and change then this is the place. Thanks for the hospitality!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Don't think about staying anywhere else on the island, the Sun Deck is the place to be. Location, perfect!!! Resort, perfect!!! Rick & Rae, the owners, have a wonderful place and do a great job keeping up. We have stayed here sevral times and won't think about staying anywhere else when we are in Fort Myers Beach.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joel C
Reviewed January 30, 2013

For the price on a last minute booking i couldn't argue. Not the cleanest nor closest to the beach but it got the job done. Had to call office when we arrived to get to our room. Son of owner apparently was hiding in the back and came to greet us. Opened the door to the room and said here ya go! Never saw any staff or anything.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LilHoss
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The location of the inn is great as it is within walking distance to the beach, bars, and restaurants. The inn itself is filthy. There was dust hanging off the ceiling fan, mold in the bathroom, broken tiles, a coffee maker that still had grounds in it from the previous guest (it was broken anyway, with no filters, no coffee, no cups), and an incredibly loud a/c unit. Although they advertise free wifi, we had to use a nearby inn's signal or walk to McDonalds. They advertise having all the amenities needed for the beach, which are available...but broken. The chairs that aren't broken are few and far between...the owners let us borrow a beach umbrella that didn't open because the wind turned it inside out by the previous user. The balcony is not private...other guests had to walk by our room to get to theirs. Spring breakers made noise until 4am with no repercussions by the owners. Overall, a very poor experience...I would not stay here ever again, even with the proximity to the beach and low cost.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ekinger12
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This review is overdue but my friend and I have stayed here two years and a row and really like it! Its close to everything, reasonably priced, clean, owners are friendly and next to SOB's (Smokin Oyster Bar)!! We will be back again!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BeckyS231
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a bit overdue, but I have to to write it. I stayed here in October 2012, and I have no idea why anyone would stay anywhere else. Seriously. The owners Rick and Rae graciously let me check in early since my flight landed around 11:30. It was a huge relief not to have to kill 3.5 hours before normal check in. I was literally laying on the beach at 12:30! Anyways...I believe I stayed in the smallest room, and it was more than enough for me. A nice comfy bed, a tv, microwave, lots of dresser space, and a spacious bathroom. The hotel itself is definitely quirky, with lots of steps and balconies/decks. I spent many a afternoon lounging on a chaise reading. The location is perfect! I may be in the minority, but I don't particularly like staying ON the beach. The beach, shopping, and restaurants were all within a 5 minute walk. There's even 2 places to eat a half a block a way. It was great to spend the day at the beach and come back to the Sun Deck for some peace and quiet. It literally felt like I was coming " home", because it didn't have the stuffy hotel feel to it. You definitely don't need a car to stay here since the trolley runs the whole length of the island, and each trip is only $0.50. I don't really understand why more people don't utilize it! I took the trolley to the grocery store, Lover's Key (incredible, btw), and my favorite breakfast spot Heavenly Biscuit. If you're looking for some fancy schmancy stay, this is not the place for you. However, if you're like me and just want a low-key, bum-around-the-beach vacation for a week, this is definitely the place to stay. I didn't want to leave, even though I was headed to Key West from there. Thanks Rick and Rae, for being so hospitable and accommodating. I won't even bother looking at other places for my next visit, because everything I need is right at the Sun Deck.

Room Tip: If you're traveling solo, I highly recommend the New Bedford.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Katie Z
Reviewed November 21, 2012

As title indicates, we've been here before. I also wrote a review of our prior stay, so I will keep this brief. You definitely get what you pay for...in a good way, for the most part.

Only "major" complaint, the reason for not 5 stars, is the large suite (hyannis-?) we were in really gave more space/opportunity to experience the 'rough edges' of the place. The furniture really could use a deep clean or replacement. Also, it appeared as though water/rain got into the far room of the suite....curtains need to be washed/replaced and the remaining water line/ring scrubbed from the floor.

Just as with the room from our previous stay, there are quite a bit of other "quirky"/ beachy elements of the room we had no problem chalking up as 'charm' at a good value beach accommodation, but I didn't want to sit on the couches (even after having one too many at dinner).

All in all, we will definitely be back. The value and location cannot be beat!!!

Just be forewarned and take heed in terms of what you consider an acceptable level of beachy-ness!

Room Tip: They are all different, but assume a certain level of 'beachy-ness' for all of them.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple