“Not as advertised!”

Sun Deck Inn & Suites
Ranked #27 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The location of the inn is great as it is within walking distance to the beach, bars, and restaurants. The inn itself is filthy. There was dust hanging off the ceiling fan, mold in the bathroom, broken tiles, a coffee maker that still had grounds in it from the previous guest (it was broken anyway, with no filters, no coffee, no cups), and an incredibly loud a/c unit. Although they advertise free wifi, we had to use a nearby inn's signal or walk to McDonalds. They advertise having all the amenities needed for the beach, which are available...but broken. The chairs that aren't broken are few and far between...the owners let us borrow a beach umbrella that didn't open because the wind turned it inside out by the previous user. The balcony is not private...other guests had to walk by our room to get to theirs. Spring breakers made noise until 4am with no repercussions by the owners. Overall, a very poor experience...I would not stay here ever again, even with the proximity to the beach and low cost.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ekinger12

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This review is overdue but my friend and I have stayed here two years and a row and really like it! Its close to everything, reasonably priced, clean, owners are friendly and next to SOB's (Smokin Oyster Bar)!! We will be back again!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BeckyS231
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a bit overdue, but I have to to write it. I stayed here in October 2012, and I have no idea why anyone would stay anywhere else. Seriously. The owners Rick and Rae graciously let me check in early since my flight landed around 11:30. It was a huge relief not to have to kill 3.5 hours before normal check in. I was literally laying on the beach at 12:30! Anyways...I believe I stayed in the smallest room, and it was more than enough for me. A nice comfy bed, a tv, microwave, lots of dresser space, and a spacious bathroom. The hotel itself is definitely quirky, with lots of steps and balconies/decks. I spent many a afternoon lounging on a chaise reading. The location is perfect! I may be in the minority, but I don't particularly like staying ON the beach. The beach, shopping, and restaurants were all within a 5 minute walk. There's even 2 places to eat a half a block a way. It was great to spend the day at the beach and come back to the Sun Deck for some peace and quiet. It literally felt like I was coming " home", because it didn't have the stuffy hotel feel to it. You definitely don't need a car to stay here since the trolley runs the whole length of the island, and each trip is only $0.50. I don't really understand why more people don't utilize it! I took the trolley to the grocery store, Lover's Key (incredible, btw), and my favorite breakfast spot Heavenly Biscuit. If you're looking for some fancy schmancy stay, this is not the place for you. However, if you're like me and just want a low-key, bum-around-the-beach vacation for a week, this is definitely the place to stay. I didn't want to leave, even though I was headed to Key West from there. Thanks Rick and Rae, for being so hospitable and accommodating. I won't even bother looking at other places for my next visit, because everything I need is right at the Sun Deck.

Room Tip: If you're traveling solo, I highly recommend the New Bedford.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Katie Z
Reviewed November 21, 2012

As title indicates, we've been here before. I also wrote a review of our prior stay, so I will keep this brief. You definitely get what you pay for...in a good way, for the most part.

Only "major" complaint, the reason for not 5 stars, is the large suite (hyannis-?) we were in really gave more space/opportunity to experience the 'rough edges' of the place. The furniture really could use a deep clean or replacement. Also, it appeared as though water/rain got into the far room of the suite....curtains need to be washed/replaced and the remaining water line/ring scrubbed from the floor.

Just as with the room from our previous stay, there are quite a bit of other "quirky"/ beachy elements of the room we had no problem chalking up as 'charm' at a good value beach accommodation, but I didn't want to sit on the couches (even after having one too many at dinner).

All in all, we will definitely be back. The value and location cannot be beat!!!

Just be forewarned and take heed in terms of what you consider an acceptable level of beachy-ness!

Room Tip: They are all different, but assume a certain level of 'beachy-ness' for all of them.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lovelofi
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a couple of nights and enjoyed it. It's close to everything and the owners are nice. We were upgraded to the suite, which was more than enough room for us. The bed was comfortable, there was a lot of space. The spiral staircase was neat, although it is a little difficult to carry anything upstairs and sometimes you felt you were going to fall off of it. The room wasn't dirty but it could use a good cleaning of the walls and shelves. We loved the roof deck and the close approximity to the beach and dining. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Julz_AM
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed here.This is a great location to the beach and everything. Once you park you never need to drive. Walk to beach,eat and shop. This place is a fun Key West style and is very dog friendly.The rates are great and the rooms are always clean. Rick and Rae, the owners, are always friendly and welcoming. We can't wait for our next trip there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sunfun10
Reviewed September 3, 2012

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor I decided to give Sun Deck Inn a try. I got a great value at $65.00 per nite, for a Queen bed, kitchen, dining table, couch and chair and of course bath room. They waived the $15.00 per night pet fee which made it and even greater value. I stayed 5 nights, and enjoyed the homeyness of the place, the location, only a few short blocks to ocean, and the peace, even though it was located near the bridge leading onto the island. It was within walking distance to fishing on the ocean pier and the body of water under the bridge. There were many Resturants, shops and other Venues all within walking distance. Parts of Ft. Meyers Beach is dog friendly and they have Dog Beach just a short drive. Ft. Meyers Beach, bills themselves as " Worlds Safest Beach"! Rick and Rae the owner/operators are very accommodating, and even helped me carry my luggage from an outlying parking area due to their street flooding from Hurricane Iaasac. My room was located next to where they live and I not only felt very safe, I enjoyed smelling their delicious meals cooking! Kinda felt like I was visiting relatives not staying at a Hotel. There is no pool, but I didn't miss it, the beach is so close, and with all the eating and shopping I probably wouldn't of used it anyway. My Yorky & I give it 3 1/2 paws out of 4, and very Happy Tail Wag or Two!! Rick & Rae Thanks for the memories!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo