“Don't Stay Here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 48 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
tampa
“Don't Stay Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Unfortunately, even after reading the reviews, we stilled stayed here. We read that this hotel was a little loud but we are used to loud and didn't think it would bother us. This was, by far, the worst establishment we have ever stayed in. We were taking the Key West Ferry from Fort Myers to the Keys and decided to stay here for one night, so we could make the 7:00am boarding call. So, we actually did have a good time, relaxing during the day, walking around early evening. (The one thing that kinda sucked was we went and sat out on the beach chairs that are on this property and after we were all situated and comfortable, a person rides over to us and tells us that we have to pay to use the chairs.) We tried to go to bed about 10:00pm so we could be up early to catch the ferry. Unbeknownst to us, they have a metal band that plays downstairs, in a bar that have more band equipment than a "real" band playing a concert in the stadium. It was so loud, that 4 floors up, our room was shaking and we could feel the base vibrating through our bed. We couldn't even hear the TV, the band was so loud. Finally, about 1am, we called the front desk to try to move rooms, which they did, but the manager on duty was the rudest person we had ever met. Refering to my fiancee as "boss-man" and had the worst attitiude.. from an employee that I have ever seen.

The security at this hotel was the worst, too. Our first room was next door to about 20 frat boys, who were drunk, rude & obnoxious. Even so far as running up and down the hallways and then at about 2am, ALL OF THEM, went skinny dipping in the beach. Very, very loud and the security did nothing.

Finally about 3am, we were finally able to sleep, only to have to get up 3 hours later to catch the ferry. Absolutely the experience I have ever had in a beach front hotel. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Janet S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

The worst customer service staff I have ever dealt with. I am astonished the establishment is even in business. roaches and ants throughout. Signs are posted admitting they don't clean bed linens or towels unless specifically asked for..? When I asked the "worker", whom I inconvenienced by making him hang up his clearly personal phone call,if I could make a formal complaint to them about how I felt I was told if I didn't like it that I could just leave...and I did just that.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank graveltraveler87

Travelers are raving about these Fort Myers Beach hotels

Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Probably one of the worst hotels you can ever set foot in. Giving Lani Kai one star is being generous. The building itself is falling apart. It wouldn't surprise me if the next hurricane took the place down. The drinks are overpriced. The entire property is as dirty as can be. The staff is rude and look like they just rolled out of bed. The entertainment is obnoxious and juvenile at best. Having been an employee of high end hotels for many years, I have to believe that the management and staff do the complete opposite of what it takes to impress their guests. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brian K
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had a great experience at this resort although we almost did not stay here because of reviews. We stayed on the 5th floor right off the main elevator in a room with a king bed, kitchenette and sofa. The decor/furnishings are not the best I have seen but were definitely not gross or falling apart like others have said in their reviews. The bed was comfortable and the room was CLEAN- there wasn't even dust under the bed, which I thought was impressive. We had an amazing view of the ocean and enjoyed the daily entertainment on the beach front. We could hear the music in our room during the day but I found that to be nice and relaxing. The swimming pool is heated and very nice and there is an attendant to make sure that only registered guests use the pool. The beach was beautiful and clean (the staff checked garbage on beach often) and there was plenty of room to put up my beach chair and umbrella on the beach. I thought the variety of food/drink at beach side of the hotel was great. There was also a neat playground for kids and sand volleyball. The food on the sun deck was VERY good. They have great happy hour special on food and drink and we paticuraily enjoyed the seafood and the pizza. The karaoke and bands on the sun deck was fun and ended at 10pm so there was no issue with noise. The best part - I only paid $125 for the room... That was very inexpensive for a room with a king on the beach. In short, we really enjoyed our time here and would return if in the area again.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank Chrissybuckman
Media, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We recently purchased a home in Bonita Springs. For New Years we wanted to celebrate at Fort Myers Beach with our kids and friends who came for the holidays. We were told that it is very hard to get in and out on that night so we decided to book a room on Fort Myers Beach. My husband booked the Lani Kai. The pictures in their web page did not look bad and we did know it was no 5 star which we usually stay at but what the heck for one night. I might start by saying I would not even give this a 2 star. We arrived at the resort around 4:00 pm and the parking attendant told us there was no parking spaces to pull over in a certain area and go check in and he will find one. Hello, we are hotel guests and no spaces for us? OK, so my husband runs in and we pull over to the area where he says. The next thing I know he is at the window of the car saying "Hey you can't park here it is for the Manager" Hello, you just pointed to the spot and said to park there just to check in and you would find a spot. So, I pull the car out just as my husband comes out. We unload the car and my husband and so go to find the attendant to see where to park. They said he was very rude about the whole thing and finally found them a spot across the street from the (well I am not sure what to call it) the motel? It certainly isn't a resort in my standards. We load up and wait forever for elevators because crowds just keep coming off the beach in sandy bathing suits and feet and piling on these elevators to get to the rooftop bar. OK, so now we got one...we travel up to the 1st floor land in a lobby, turn left down dingy hallways and out a door again to the outside like a motel and find our door. We go inside and I wanted to DIE in this so called resort. The bathroom was like a closet and it had a drop ceiling with tiles that were black. We found a sock from whoever was in it before us...I just wanted to turn around and leave...I then rememberd I was doing this for the kids to have fun that night and see the fireworks. The band below us on the beach was to play until 2:00 am and it was so loud in the room. The first thing I did was pull all the covers off the beds and throw them in a corner. I was so sick. I went and asked them for new blankets so I knew they would be cleaner then what was on that bed. Thank the Lord we all showered before arriving and just needed to spruce up and change into our clothes for the New Year! Well, we all brought nice clothes and the rest of the crowed in this PLACE just stayed in T-shirts, shorts and flip flops all night...talk about feeling out of place. I then said to the kids...we don't change who we are. We went out to Nervous Nellies for dinner down the street which had good food then came back to the beach area and hung with lots of shady looking people until the fireworks went off. My husband and I went back to the room by 1:00 am and slept ontop of the bed. The kids arrived back around 2:30 am and we all got up at 8:00 am and booked it out of this place. It was the dirtiest spring break place I ever saw. Sorry, but this place has no right calling itself a resort. We ran down the steps in the morning only to encounter the rude attendant once again where he once again made some kind of rude comment to my husband and son and they just let loose on him. They said that they needed to get out of this dump and they needed the car NOW...I guess they disturbed him from sitting and he had to move or something....oh well...as they say...live and learn.,....if you are thinking of going here....just ask yourself...do you like a dirty, spring break atmosphere? If you answer Yes then this place is for you...if not.....stay clear of this place.

Room Tip: my tip is run and don't look back.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank Tink3
TrentSeguin, Director of Sales at Lani Kai Island Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We do realize we are need of some updating and we are in the process of that. We just received our first shipment of new bedding and we are about half way completed in our Bathroom remodels. I have bubbled your review up to the General Manager and he is taking action. I also printed a copy for our Executive Housekeeper to read and to use for educational purposes. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, with your feedback we can pinpoint the issues we need to correct.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

took the family for a nice get away in near by Naples, FL drove to ft myers beach to have some fun with the kids had a few to meany and ended up staying at the LK...it was a fun time but the hotel overall has a party atmosphere and could use renovations in key places - with all that i would still stay here and enjoy a great get away anytime! be ready for fun though or you will not have as good of experience as i had!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
TrentSeguin, Director of Sales at Lani Kai Island Resort, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you Royce the Lani kai is THE place to be on Ft. myers beach! We also agree we need some updating and here is what we are doing about it. Remodel our bathrooms to date we have finished 57 of the 125 bathrooms we have. We also purchased new bedding for the hotel (new duvets, skirts,and throw pillows) they started arriving 1/2/2013 and hopfully we have them in the rooms by the middle of January. But as busy as we are it may take longer. We also have been purchacing new flat screen T.V.'s and to date have installed 46 and we are receiving about 10 every two weeks or so. We are so glad to hear that we met your expectations as a FUN place to be. Hopefully by the next time you stay with us all of our improvements will be completed but as you imagine we are constantly trying to improve our hotel and we will always try our hardest to exceed your expectations. Thanks for being here!!!
Cape Coral, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Please do not waste your hard earn money on this highly over priced DUMP! The room we stayed in was a dump the paint is miss matched from trying to hide the water damage spots that ran down the side walls. The ceilings had multiple water stains showing on them the air vents had black dirt all around them. The tile floors were chipped the carpet had not been vacuumed upon our arrival. My wife went to take a shower and the cold water supply line was not functional at ALL!!! The bathroom had visible water damage the base boards were swollen. THIS HOTEL HAD ADVERTISED IT HAD RENOVATED SHOULD HAVE READ DESPERATELY NEEDS TO BE DEMOLISHED AND REBUILD.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple