“GROSS!”

Ranked #43 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“GROSS!”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

This place might as well be shut down until they do some MAJOR renovations. Looks ok from the outside, but the inside is straight FILTH! There is all mold in the bathroom, above the bed along the ceiling, and near the slider. We wore sandles in the shower the entire stay. We had little bugs that shared the room with us. Thank God we didnt stay to long because we both thought we were going to get sick from something in there. The shower head has so much build up on it, it feels like you never get clean. We were in the room long enough to shower and sleep then fled. The only, if you call them pluses were the price and the view. I would find another place close by, and spend the extra couple of bucks!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank M H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
wisconsin
Reviewed November 14, 2011

First off let me say that if you are not ages 18-23 this hotel is not for you!! The hotel is extremly run down, we had cockroaches in our room!!! There was a party on the beach with loud music and kids everywhere....beach area was very crowded. Spend the extra money and stay somewhere else. The beds were hard as a rock!! The ONLY good thing about this hotel was the view was amazing but hotels around the area will have the same thing. We ate the roof top dinning and service was horrible...food was bad and service was bad. And we got bit up by little bugs that were all over our arms and legs that itched and still itch a week later. This hotel is disgusting and we will NEVER stay here again.

Room Tip: Not for couples trying to relax.....Higher floors may have less noise on the far end of bars
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Loves2Travel2121

Travelers are raving about these Fort Myers Beach hotels

Janesville, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I can not let it be untold. My husband and I are middle aged 35-40. A month ago my husband was in a really bad car accident, he sustained a concussion and 6 broken ribs 3 of which are broke more then once. He is still off of work, we needed a weekend getaway that would fit our budget at this time. It was a weekend get away from hell. I am so disgusted and angry right now I could puke. We also had the bug's and the mold smell in my room and the carpet was damp, but I overlooked this because we were hardly in there.(Bayside) This is what made me very upset, my husband and I were having drink's below the lani, My husband orders 2 drink's and say's he's going to the bathroom, matter of minutes I'm approched that my husband was kicked out for bumping into someone. I said "what there has to be a mistake we've been married 15 years, he would not hurt anyone" besides I knew he did not do this with 6 broken ribs. I go to my husband to ask what is going on? He replies, he was on his way to the bathroom and he herd a couple of men along with the bouncer (big one) making comments about his red hair, loud enough to were he can hear it. He then proceeds to say " what's your problem" and then he said before he knew it they had him on the ground. I was very angry and scared, he did not touch them, this could have resulted in further severe injuries. So then I'm yelling at the bouncer. I ask him, "what makes you think you can treat people like that".. his reply, as he pull's out his shirt across his chest, and say's to me as he's pointing STAFF..I then proceed to go to one of the managers who was bartending, I'm trying to get some assistance ..I then was picked up and carried out for no reason. On my way out I threw my drink, I mean I am the paying customer right? The bouncer said I threw it at him, that was one of his many lies that night. At this point they were still antagonizing my husband. I went upstairs to get some help. I let them know what kind of reputation they hold around town. I stated that this conduct was very unprofessional, and there was no code of ethnics here and alot more...Someone did come down with me, we were standing in the main entrance by the bathrooms. The manager took the bouncers word and left. As soon as that manager was gone, that guy (bouncer big one with an ego) charged at my husband, grabbed him in the back of the kneck, put him into a choke hold, and dragged him. Let me remind you, that he has those injuries, I tried telling them that, they did not care. The thing is here, I believe there are surveilence cameras there. I would think that you would take the time to look into this for your paying customer and might find that your bouncer is picking his victims off your dime. Severe ego issues. He (bouncer) then threatened to called the cops. I told him you go right ahead, I'll sit here and wait. The cop came, he lied and made things up. They did nothing. My husband and myself never touched anybody. Where I live this would be an assult and battery charge. My husband has bruises all over his arms and his neck still hurts along with his jaw and ear on the left side. This is wrong. I will not go back and I will not recommend this establishment to anybody. The food is Excellent at Yucatan and I would recomend the Light House Inn. I really am surprised that by law or codes that this establishment is still running.

Room Tip: There really is no good tip to give for this establishment. I guess it's a live and learn.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Recient-Guest
lkfrontdesk, Front Office Manager at Lani Kai Island Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
I would like anyone reading a review to understand the situation that occurred here. These guests were intoxicated when this incident occurred and the gentleman that was so "injured" tried to start a fight because someone called him "red." Yes, this guy is a redhead, so am I. I have been called "red" all my life, and it never seemed to offend me. We at the Lani Kai frown upon people fighting. We try to avoid it and sometimes have to prevent it from happening. We furthermore frown upon people throwing drinks at us, call us crazy. After taking an hour of our security staff, the police and manager's time, these guests went back to their room to sleep it off. I would hope that anyone reading this review understands that there are two sides to every story. Our staff does not randomly attack people, we do however make sure that the guests at our bars are protected from drunken bullies. Sincerely, the redheaded Front Desk Manager
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed October 30, 2011

My best friend and I made a four day trip to Ft. Myers Beach and decided, against our better judgment, to book at the Lani Kai. We had read reviews and have both been to FMB before, and just should have listened to our guts and stayed away. Alas...it was cheap and we figured "what the hell." For those of you asking, "could it really be so bad?" the answer is YES. Checking in, the girl at the desk ignored us for a good four minutes while she yelled at someone on her cell phone with her back to the counter. The other people checking in noticed this too, and I think they honestly may have left there and then, which is what we should have done. When she finally did notice us, she was abrupt, curt and rude. The room, upon arrival, was nothing like the website photos. The walls in the bathroom were MOLDY, black mold, the kind that makes you severely ill, the bedding was DIRTY, the room had not been cleaned...either that or it was SO FAR BEYOND REPAIR that no cleaning would have made a difference. It smelled like a urinal. And not a freshly scrubbed one. Like a dirty urinal cake (I used to work at a group home, and have smelled my share of dirty men's rooms).
By now, we are weighing our options, trying to decide whether we should, or even could, leave and get a new hotel for the rest of our trip. We decided to stay the night and just see if we could hack it. I was REALLY concerned with the mold, since I am asthmatic, but we had planned to go out anyway and I just hoped that maybe we wouldn't be in the room enough to have it effect me much. We returned at about 2:45 in the morning (didn't have much interest in the hotel bars, they were filled with frat boys) and were hoping to get some sleep, but this hotel was LOUD even at 3 in the morning! And even worse, the bad air quality/mold in the room was making me HACK and my chest tightened and got very sore. We called the desk at 3:30 when things were still super loud, and reported my breathing trouble. My friend got on the phone and said she would like to cancel the rest of our stay. The woman did nothing about the noise, but didn't seem the least bit shocked that we cancelled, it probably happens all the time. We left abruptly in the morning, after about two hours of restless, hacking, painful sleep. We spent the rest of our stay at The Outrigger, which was like the Taj Mahal after the Lani Kai.

Moral of the Story: This place is a legitimate dump that should be inspected and subsequently bulldozed. Most of the staff should be fired. If this place isn't bulldozed, it needs to be GUTTED and renovated. I spent the next week with a tight, sore chest because of that room. Luckily, I was able to get a prescription for an inhaler from my doctor sent to a Ft. Myers pharmacy. It was THAT bad. The beach and location are gorgeous, this hotel is a lump of bird crap on a diamond.

This place is NOT A FAMILY HOTEL. Make no mistake, this place is good for ages 18 to 24. I like to party, but not to live in scum. I could sleep under an overpass for free and not end up with a lung infection. Do not bring your kids here, and do not expect cleanliness or any sort of amenities that a hotel this price should provide. BELIEVE THE REVIEWS. FIND ANOTHER HOTEL.

Room Tip: Steps to choosing a good room at the Lani Kai: 1) Inspect for mold, have oxygen tank at the ready...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank Emily777
Fort Myers Beach
Reviewed October 27, 2011

This is certainly not a family destination. Alcohol, drugs and a deteriorating building. NOT what I would call a Family Resort. Do your homework before considering this establishment.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Dogwalker854
La Crosse, WI
Reviewed October 10, 2011

A girlfriend and I just returned from a 4 night stay for my 50th birthday. Before going I had contacted the Chamber of Commerce and told them what we wanted and the age coming down to stay. I had asked about the Lani Kai as by their website it looked nice. Unfortunately we were not steared away. I can take an older place, but not filthy. We would have left after walking in, but I was afraid of being charged anyway. There were bugs in the room, and even though we received new towels daily, that was the extent of the cleaning. Their website is very misleading. When locals asked where we were staying, there was not one good response. Too bad we didn't know that going down. Everything is very close in proximity, so you don't need a "beach resort" to enjoy the beach.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank MicheleLax
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Kind of knew when we arrived this place wasn't for us. The Lani Kai needs more than a good cleaning from top to bottom, lots of repairs and a new elevator system. We also didn't appreciate the girl at front desk reprimanding us for being "brash" when we simply stated (without emotion) that we were not happy with our room. Although the staff tried to accommodate us with an upgraded better room we could not stay. The upgrade was worse than the original room. Our decision not to stay was already made when we ran into a pizza delivery man on the elevator who told us the Lani Kai had the reputation of being the worst hotel on the beach, that clinched it. The beach view was there but the balcony was filthy and the sliding door needed maintenance, it did not easily open.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple