“Did not stay here, but wished I had!”

Sandpiper Gulf Resort
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I didn't actually stay at the Sandpiper, but visited family there that came in for a wedding we attended. Because of the location of the wedding and the fact that we needed to be closer to the venue, we opted to stay closer to Downtown. Next time I think we will be staying here. The rooms were nice and spacious and looked much better than the initial online pictures I viewed prior to seeing them. The pool is small but nice and at the time we visited uncrowded. There were facilities to BBQ and the beach itself was very nice, white soft sand and very clean. There seemed to be plenty to do in the area as well. If you have a family with you, I highly recommend it. In the future I hope to be staying here myself!

Room Tip: First floor if you don't like stairs. I would choose a room with a view of the gulf if I had the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
SeniorPSR, General Manager at Sandpiper Gulf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Thank you for your review of your first impression of the Sandpiper. We would love to have you stay with us on your next visit to Fort Myers Beach.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I've stayed here several times and I keep coming back. I've had a courtyard view, a partial beach view, and an island view. All of the rooms were clean, accommodating, and the beds were comfortable. I love the key bracelets so I can wander the beach and not worry about holding anything. The staff is very helpful and answers to any concerns. The only drawback I had was the island view room layout. I like to sleep in very cold temperatures and the air tends to blow directly to the kitchen area so the bed area closest to the door stays warm. Other than that, every time I've ever stayed there was absolutely excellent and I will definitely be back. I hope to do ocean front next time and have the comparison of all the different types of rooms.

2  Thank Beachesandbaseball

Thank you for returning to the Sandpiper year after year! It is our pleasure to provide you with the kind of stay that inspires you to come back. See you on your next visit.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

The room fits our family of 6 perfectly. The kitchen comes fully equipped and has a small table with 4 chairs. The room has 2 queen beds and a queen sofa sleeper. Clean rooms, pool area very nice and maintained. Love that the keys for the rooms that are actually rubber wristbands you wear and they can get wet. No loosing the key card. Staff is friendly and helpful. Coffee served all day as well as hot water for tea, They also have books in the lobby you can borrow while you stay and inflatable rafts that you can borrow. They do have beach towels you can get on a daily basis.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are great, you get a large balcony or terrace on the first floor. The courtyard r...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

I am so delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Sandpiper. We are happy to offer the amenities you mentioned to enhance your experience. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed at the Sandpiper from April 29th until May 9th, 2014. We had a pool suite, number 120, first floor with a private terrace on ground level, right next to the pool deck, with a low shrub for separation. All the first floor pool suites are alike. There are 2 double beds which have upgraded mattresses. There is a front entrance door off the parking lot and a sliding window wall at the rear for pool deck and patio areas access. The layout is great. A small private bathroom with updated fancy tiling has bath and shower, with adjacent powder room, sink and mirror, open to the sleeping area, and a large (for a hotel room) closet.

The kitchen was very well equipped as far as cookware and dishes and flatware and all of the necessary gadgets like toaster, can opener, spatulas, dish towels, etc. A small bottle of dish soap was furnished. We did most if not all of our own dish washing. A modern programmable microwave floats above the 2 burner electric range, which has seen better days but worked fine. The fridge was full sized with a handy ice box but no ice maker. Kitchen table and 4 chairs. Old fashioned A-C unit in the exterior wall back of the eating area at floor level. Nice flat screen TV right in front of the left hand bed.

Fellow travelers vacationing here at the Sandpiper were family types and many came from Germany. They are mostly a well- behaved bunch, not rowdy in extremes, and the kids were respectful. The staff consisted of a large percentage of Island people, which lended to the British west Indies aura that Sandpiper Gulf Resort is known for. The mid- island gulf beach location is the finest on all of Fort Myers Beach, and the low -rise intimacy of this boutique resort is something I, for one, would like to keep secret.

Away from the pool suites where we stayed, which is the ‘family pool area’, there is another area with a block of rooms several stories high in close proximity to the ’Adults only’ pool area. I can only say that we are glad that we were in the family pool suites area. Close by to the shuffle board are grills for barbing by guests, and they were seen in use most evenings.

The staff were attentive. When I mentioned a bug sighting to the management, they took it very seriously. There is a washer and dryer for guest’s use and supplies available for purchase in the lobby.

The only reason I could not rate this resort a 5 star is the condition of the wood cabinetry and old carpeting, which are worn our and in need of serious replacement. Other than that we just loved this place!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fritomann

Thank you for this detailed review of your recent stay at the Sandpiper. I appreciate your comments on the eagerness and attentiveness of our associates. We aim to please every guest so that you may have a wonderful vacation. We hope to see you again on your next visit.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Firstly, it took me weeks to pick a hotel in Fort Myers. I read and re-read all reviews I could find. Sometimes when reading reviews there are polar opposite ratings and this was the case with sandpiper gulf. However, as the positive reviews heavily outweighed the negative reviews I went for it and was glad I did.

The lady who checked me in was polite and efficient. We got there quite early but our room was ready and there was no problem getting in. I had warned my partner that judging by reviews the room may not be that great - but boy was I wrong. We got, as booked through a third party agent at a much reduced price, a fantastic suite with a huge balcony overlooking the adult pool and the beach.

The free beach towels were excellent quality - no cheap facecloth sized towels here.

The room was a studio, but had sliding louvre doors that closed the bedroom off from the living room. There was a TV in each area. The bedding was good quality and the kitchen very well equipped. This resort was everything we could have wanted and more. It is in the quiet end of the beach, but we had a hire car and knew we would be driving for dinner etc (Mel's diner is a must).

I think I can safely say we will be back here in the future.

Room Tip: Beach view is a must in my opinion. If you are a couple a room in the block overlooking the adult po...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank shopaholic888

Thank you for this wonderful review of the Sandpiper. I am so pleased that you found your accommodation to be everything you expected. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Some of us were staying in a time-share and we needed an extra room close by--this turned out to be just right. Room was nice size, clean, had everything we needed. The room/suite we had would sleep 6 but that puts 2 in a hid-a-bed. I'd say that would push it as far as size but you could do 5 well. Nice kitchen area--pool was nice with great beach view. I would go back.

Room Tip: Even thought our room was not classified beachfront we could still see the water...if you want to sa...
1  Thank Jan J

I am so glad you stayed with us at the Sandpiper and enjoyed your accommodation and the beautiful beach. We would be delighted to welcome you back on your next Fort Myers Beach vacation.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

just spent 5 nights (not long enough!) at this gem. we paid for a beachview room, but were upgraded to beachfront. love the size of this resort---it's not a big high-rise like so many others. there are 2 pools, one for adults only, which is very relaxing. all staff are friendly and helpful. the rooms are clean and comfy with beautiful furnishings. there is a partial kitchen with full-size fridge-freezer and microwave, a 2-burner cooktop, toaster and coffee pot, pots/pans, dishes, glassware and utensils. there is an electronic safe in the closet, which is nice to have. we rented chairs and an umbrella on the beach for $13/day. beach is wide and flat and has powder-soft white sand.the only thing missing that would make this place perfect is a poolside tiki bar!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
SeniorPSR, General Manager at Sandpiper Gulf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

I am pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay at the Sandpiper. Our quaint resort is a great place for relaxation and I am so glad that you agree. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Fort Myers Beach.