“Love/Hate Relationship”

Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 14, 2005

We recently got married at Lovers Key Beach Resort. To be honest I have a love/hate relationship with the resort. Firstly let me start off with the neagtives of which their are few. Our biggest annoyance was that the resort allowed (Did not seem to mind) non paying guests to pulling up at the bay in boats or wave runners and using the facilities. We had no problems with the resort allowing non guests to use the restaurant (Flippers) but on at least 2 days (both weekend days) people pulled up with coolers of beers and music systems and started using the pool facilities much to the annoyance of existing guests that left the pool to seek quite from the obnoxious crowd that had invaded the pool area.To be fair to the front desk on the second time this occurred and following complaints from guests the crowd was ushered away from the resort. On our last night we were woken by about 15 people in the pool at gone Midnight despite the fact it clearly states that night swimming is not permitted. The crowd stayed in the pool for over an hour without being removed which was suprising. It is also fair to say this is not a beach resort. There is a very small strip of beach on Estero Bay but a 5 minute walk to the Gulf side of Bonita Springs takes you to a wider white sandy beach which is very nice. Flippers has strange opening hours which we believe is to accomodate the feeling that the resort is for total relaxation and not for younger crowds. The food at flippers is good. Now for the positives. The wedding was truly a magical experience. The wedding marquee and setting of the ceremony as well as the food and attention to detail was first class. The front desk staff and the staff at Flippers were excellent and extremely friendly. A member of our wedding party missed their flight home and the hotel provided her with a further stay in the resort free of charge which is exceptional customer service. The room was also exceptionally spacious and extremely clean (We were on the 12th Floor) and the views were magnificent. Dolphins visted us on a daily basis in the bay and our regular walks to the penninsula of the gulf beach opposite the resort was always accompanied with more dolphins. In conclusion our stay and the resort was great and warranting of a 5 star review apart from a few instances that could have been handled by the resort slightly better.

• Stayed: May 2005
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed May 11, 2005

We stayed for 3 nights at the end of April2005. The room, or rather suite was fabulous. All very new and immaculate. It's true that the hotel is not on the beach but we were fully aware of that when we booked (just read the information on their web-site). We saw fabulous sunsets from Flippers Grill, it's just a shame that they don't serve cooked breakfasts. The guitarist/singer on Friday & Saturday evening completed the wonderful atmosphere and we saw dolphins in the bay. All I can say - is some people are very hard to please and if they did their research before booking, would know what to expect. The staff were also wonderful, the guy on reception had us in hysterics describing his plan for surviving hurricanes!
I certainly hope to return.

• Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank SallyWinwood
Reviewed May 8, 2005

My husband and I spent mother's day weekend at this resort. We are both lifetime floridians and I have vacationed in fort myers beach during many summers as a teenager (i am now 26). I was very upset (and irritated with myself for missing this) when we traveled north on estero blvd and arrived at Lovers key BC&R that it was on the RIGHT side of the road (they do not mention this on their website!!). This hotel is located on the intercoastal waterway (estero bay). It is not on the gulf of mexico. And it is not right next to the state park entrance. The main entrance is @ 1 mile back south on estero blvd. In order to get to the north entrance (closest to hotel) you must walk past 2 other condo buildings and across the hwy and through the parking area to the bay side (not gulf) of the state park. You can not swim here because it is right next to the bridge and there is a strong rip current (there is a warning sign). It is a popular fishing area though. If you want to walk from there to the gulf front beach it is about 3/4 of a mile. During that walk we searched for shells. There is a wonderful variety. The water gradually changes from the murky color (at the hotel) to a crystal clear. The state park is absolutely beautiful. My husband and i enjoyed exploring all of the different wildlife that come together here. We found brittle starfish, conch, oysters, horseshoe crabs, stingrays, fiddler crabs, others crabs, various fish, and birds. Despite the hotel's poor location. It is quite wonderful. We stayed in room 1108 which i think was a luxury suite category when i booked it. There are @ 8 units per floor. The room was emmaculately kept and very spacious. Our bathroom was at least 15 x 10 feet in size. It had a large vanity and sink area, a whirlpool tub big enough for 2, a large shower with ledge for sitting, and a seperate closet for the toilet. The master bed room had floor to ceiling windows facing south. The living room had floor to ceiling windows facing south and west. The private balcony overlooked west to the bridge and beach(before mentioned). Overall the view was gorgeous because you could overlook the whole state park and estero bay AND the gulf of mexico. At night we could see the high rise buildings in Naples. The pool was adequite with a small water fall. The restaurant (Flippers) was next to the pool. We ate lunch there and it rather good. They had Tuna Ceviche that was excellent. I had broken my sunglasses and the wiaitress was kind enough to loan me hers until I could replace them. The only downside to the restaurant is that the last dinnner seating is at 7:45pm on week days. Every morning between 8am and 10 am the hotel offers a continental breakfast. It is very similar to what other chain hotels offer. There are waffles, oj, coffee, milk, danishes,bagels, cereal, apples, oranges and bananas. After the 3rd day you begin to crave anything besides waffles. I did see the "breakfast nazi" that another reviewer had mentioned. My husband and i were able to quietly take an orange each up to the room (she makes a lot of trips in and out of the room). All in all the hotel is fabulous (it grows on you) but I would just stay at one of the hotels or condos on estero island (fort myers beach) so that I could be one the beach (which is just as nice as the state park). Then you could just drive or take the trolley to the state park whenever you liked. Just remember to look for someplace with an even numbered address because the odd numbers are on the other side of the street. Ie. Lover's Key BC&R 8771 estero blvd and beach side would be 8770 estero blvd. In my opinion anything from 5000 and below is quiet enough for you to enjoy. Just don't stay at the Lana Kai. Its like a college spring break party there. But the roof top does have a good turkey sandwich. I hope this helps you and you have a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: May 2005
33  Thank Brianjenn2010
Reviewed April 26, 2005

the room was great for the money a condo awsome pool and hot tub. But there is no beach at this hotel not much of one

• Stayed: May 2004
8  Thank jessicaMi
Reviewed April 8, 2005

I stayed by myself in this hotel, and loved every minute of it. The people at the front desk were very helpful, and suggested places for me to go to meet other people, watch the sunsets, and experience local activities. My room was beautiful and very clean, and I saw dolphins every day from my balcony. The jacuzzi tub was wonderful, and having a kitchen was much appreciated. I cannot say enough good things about the Lovers Key Beach Club and Resort. And the nearby Lovers Key State Park was gorgeous. I went kayaking and walked in the white sand. I'd highly recommend visiting this area, and staying at this hotel!!

• Stayed: November 2004
6  Thank Devon8888
A TripAdvisor Member
Defiance, Ohio
Reviewed April 3, 2005

My family recently stayed at Lovers Key Resort. We were in one of the suites on the 11th floor and were somewhat displeased with our room. There was a very odd odor in our room that I thought the maid should have done something about before we arrived, especially for what we paid for the room. It was close to $300 per night. The pool was nice, but the beach left much to be desired. For them to advertise that they have a beach is misleading. You really can't even swim in the water. Gross! We did enjoy watching the dolphins from our balcony along with the osprey. Breakfast was good- waffles, cereal, bagels, ect. This hotel is nice, but high priced.

• Stayed: March 2005