We stayed at the GullWing at the end of April-begining of May 2005. Perfect weather for this area. We had requested a 2-bedroom bayview suite but got a 3-bedroom at the same price (I assume they were supposed to lock the third bedroom but didn't). This worked well for us as it gave us the choice of which spare bedroom was best suited for our 10-mo. old's crib. We could see both the bay and the beach/ocean.
The hotel is located on the middle-southern end of the island. It is much quieter than the northern end. But that means you have to find parking when you drive up to the northern end or take the trolley. Our best meal was in a strip mall across the street at "Loggerheads". We ate there the first night and I spent the rest of the trip trying to find fried grouper that tasted so good.
We rented the "large" crib from the hotel as opposed to the smaller/play yard option which they also offered. The crib was smaller than a standard crib but was plenty big for our daughter who is on the tall side. They also rent high chairs if you want one. The rooms were clean and nicely appointed. Plenty of plush towels were available for our use. The pool was a bit small, and there were lots of people around the pool, but that may have just been the time of year. Pluses in the pool area...plenty of shady areas/umbrellas, a patio area where you can eat lunch (they grill out by the pool on certain days), and there is a ledge that runs all the way around the pool which is nice to sit on with little ones who can't swim yet. The beach is so WIDE. It is also well packed so that walking is easy and you can push a stroller if you want without using those ski things on the wheels.
The only bad thing...the beds. They are too soft!!! My back ached every morning. The couch wasn't very good for sleeping on either. My parents stayed at GullWing too and this was thier only complaint also. Gullwing is one of 6 hotels run by Sunstream Hotels & Resorts. We've contacted them to see if they have different beds at thier other properties, but Sunstream says they have the same beds in all of their hotels. I've heard that another Sunstream property, the Point Estero Beach Resort, is being newly furnished this year. It is right next to GullWing, so that might be worth trying if you want to be in this area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked into the charming south end of Fort Myers Beach on the widest stretch of sand, GullWing offers 66 condominium 1-, 2- & 3-bedroom suites with complete home amenities, including in-room laundry and a full kitchen. Enjoy a beachfront pool, elevated tennis court, fitness room, guest bicycles, barbecue grilling deck, poolside snack bar, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your GullWing Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gullwing Beach Hotel Fort Myers Beach
- Gullwing Beach Fort Myers
- Gullwing Fort Myers
- Gullwing Beach Resort Fort Myers
- Gullwing Resort