“Very nice peaceful place to walk.”

Matanzas Pass Preserve
Kansas City
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Very nice peaceful place to walk.”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This park is a very nice, peaceful, and quiet place to walk through the mangroves and out to the intercoastal waterway. There are mile(s) of boardwalks and a pier. It's a place to see natural Florida native habitat, plants, birds, butterflies, etc. Bicycles are not allowed. There is a porta-potty at the entrance.

Visited February 2013

Carmel, Indiana
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Glimpse of original authentic Florida”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Use common sense..... if it is bug season, you will be eaten alive by mosquitoes and alike. If it is high tide or after a rain, it will likely be wet. That is the obvious. This is the REAL Florida before developers came in and made it comfy for us with all the perks. If you want to see what the island was like for the Calusa Indians, this is the way to go. Being a small passive preserve, you have just enough hiking to get the idea. By far the best way to view it is with a guided tour. Very informative! There is no way you can even remotely have any appreciation of this wonderful preserve without the guided tour. Very special little gem. Keep in mind, this is the real deal, not a man-made tourist attraction.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Indybeachescaper
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Quiet walk back through original landscape”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Interesting walk, but didn't bother taking any pictures. House was closed when we visited. Saw a couple of birds, one squirrel, one raccoon, and just a few other people. Again, worth seeing how the island used to look, but not exciting.

Visited February 2013
Toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“You may want to pass on Matanza pass”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I grabbed my camera hoping for an opportunity to take some great pic's . It started out well with a long boardwalk into the preserve. Then suddenly the boardwalk ends and I started along a dirt trail. Next thing I see is a large body of water shaped like Lake Erie ahead . Not to be stopped I trudged along and filling my crocs with water, mud and sludge. Finally I emerge after a hundred yards onto a dirt path . All hopes of taking pictures are gone , the squeaking coming from my feet nestled inside my slimy crocs is loud enough to scare off any birds and make make dogs bark within a half mile. Suddenly I approach another long lake like puddle and once again I wade in . This one is longer and a good deal deeper , it swallows my croc and removes it from my foot , luckily I see it floating way , as I turn to chase it, my other croc remains glued to the bottom in 10 inch of goo and is lost from view . After blindly feeling around the bottom I recover the lost footwear and make a hasty retreat to my car. So there was really nothing to photograph , be sure to wear hip waders , leave you pet behind and have fun.

Visited January 2013
Middletown, DE
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Shady walk thru the preserve”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We walked a mile from our rental to check out the preserve. The cottage was not open when we visited -- has limited hours of operation. The walking path/boardwalk is well maintained. Does not take long to walk thru the preserve. Great to see it is being preserved, but can't say it was worth the trip. Glad it was free.

Visited December 2012