“Excellent Day Trip”

Everglades Adventure
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Everglades Adventure Day with Swamp Buggy and...
Ranked #20 of 78 Tours in Fort Myers Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: "Kelsey, our tour guide, was amazing. Very personable and knowledgable! I don't think there is anything about Florida that she doesn't know. The tour was amazing. A must see." -Don Ft Myers. We couldn't have said it better ourselves! Leave the stress of driving and planning a day to the Everglades to us. Full day tour the Everglades with our naturalist guides. Tours include transportation to and from the Everglades, thrilling airboat ride, alligator exhibits, and much more!! Depart by van from Ft Myers Beach.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We did the full day (8am-5pm) Everglades Day trip. Overall, it was excellent. Our guide Dwight gave us near constant narration about all things Everglades, including the history of the area, the importance of estuaries to wild life, alligators (of course!), birds, snakes. We were entertained and also learned a great deal. The drive from Ft Myers Beach took a little over an hour, but Dwight filled that time with great information. He is like the Steve Irwin (the famed Crocodile Hunter) of the Everglades... seriously. This guy is good. We drove through Big Cypress National Preserve where we got to see PLENTY of alligators (and bugs and birds, and maybe even snakes!) Dwight would often stop the van and we would get out for him to show us something nifty. It was very safe so no worries about that!

We then stopped at a cool place, "Skunk Ape Research Headquarters" where they showed us various rescued exotic animals. Rick was was the caretaker, and he clearly is in his element. The love he has for his animals is obvious. Loved this place.

We also stopped at a tiny, tiny official US Post Office. Kind of a nifty piece of Americana.

As we continued our journey, we drove into Everglades City.. Dwight continued his narrative of the area, including 1000 Islands, and crabbing, and the area founders. We had a delightful lunch.. I am vegetarian and the salad bar was absolutely excellent! But you can also get burgers, fries, or a delicious fish sandwich. After lunch, we spent a short time at an Everglades Museum. That too was interesting.

Onward, we got to ride an airboat at Corey Billie's. This was very thrilling. I would say it was my favorite part of the day, but I would be hardpressed to do so because I loved every part of the day.

BOOK THIS TOUR!! You won't be disappointed. The people are genuine and passionate about their crafts. Just be sure to bring your bug spray and sun screen!

2  Thank KeyMe
"dirt road"
in 4 reviews
"our tour guide"
in 11 reviews
"skunk ape research center"
"big cypress"
"fun ride"
"well worth the money"
"two hours"

Reviewed March 4, 2011

My wife and I were booked for the Everglades Wilderness Safari for March 3, 2011. This tour caught my eye as it boasted access into areas of the Everglades that are not accessible to the general public. If the idea of doing something off the beaten path turns you off, then this may not be the tour for you. However, if you want to experience something different and delve further into the Everglades than just a regular tour might offer, then this may be worth a look. But you need to understand this going into the tour - you are signing up to see nature on nature's terms, so don't be surprised if nature tosses you around a little bit.

Our trip to the 'glades was supposed to start at 07:15. My wife and I dutifully arrived 15 mins early to find our guide, Gator D, already waiting for us - and we were the only 2 passengers that day. After boarding the van and departing for the 'glades, one of the first questions he asked us was the first words we thought of when you think of the Everglades. We said gators, swamps, and mosquitoes (oh my), as truthfully that's all we really knew going in. We were about to be educated.

The ride to the Everglades was narrated by Gator D, who told us about the history of Florida, the Geology of the Everglades, the Native peoples and their struggles, environmental changes caused by swamp draining, and of course how it all eventually connects to the Everglades. Gator D is very knowledgeable and passionate about the area, and excels at passing that information on to the average tourist to get a better understanding of how it all works before you get to see it.

Once we arrived at the site where the real tour begins, we saw the large custom built swamp buggy that would be our ride for the day. This thing was massive - we needed a step ladder to board it - but the height provides an excellent viewing platform to see great distances. Once we hit the trails, within 5 minutes we sighted a couple deer bounding around in the forest. Another 10 minutes took us to a stop, where we had the opportunity to climb down from the buggy, and walk into a swamp area. It was in there that we had our first real gator sighting.

Seeing a predatory animal in the wild, in their natural habitat, is the only way to go. Seeing them in a zoo is fine in a "oh ya, I've seen an alligator" type of way, but until you actually go into their neighborhood on their terms and see them, you ain't seen nothing. The one we saw was apparently only about 6 or 7 feet long, but when you're raised on the Canadian prairies as I was, this guy was plenty big enough for me.

After a little more walking, and watching out for snakes, we boarded the buggy again and continued our tour. At this point, the ride got very bumpy - very bumpy. This buggy isn't built for comfort, although the seats were comfy, it's built for function. Part of being able to go into the Everglades as we did is to take the road less traveled - which was again one of the aspects we were looking for. If this was a paved highway, after all, it would no longer be a unique experience for a small amount of people.

Later on in the tour, we spotted some gator prints in the sand, and even Panther prints. Unfortunately no panther sightings on this day, though. We saw lots of birds, and several species of plants.

As the buggy tour wound to a close, we had a new found respect for the Everglades. No longer was it simply about gators, swamps and mosquitoes, but it's everything. From the history, man's impact, the fish, the deer, the air plants, the zig zag orchids, cypress swamps, saw palmetto...the list is truly endless. We have Gator D to thank for educating us, and broadening our horizons beyond just gators.

Although, speaking of gators, we did see some big boys too - 12 to 14 footers on our way back.

So in short, as I see I've probably been a little long winded, this tour more than lived up to our expectations. We saw the gators we wanted to see, we saw them in their natural habitat on their terms, and we came away with a greater appreciation of the area as a whole. I would highly recommend this tour to the adventuresome folks out there who want to try something a little different.

Oh, and if you happen to see a nice walking stick out there, please let Gator D know.

1  Thank Jeff_and_Ally
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We had a excellent tour guide named Dwight. He was talkative yet very informative. We saw lots of birds and alligators in their natural habitat. We held a alligator and a snake(very large one). We certainly learned a lot of history about the Everglades. We went on an air boat ride which was very exciting. It was a fantastic day! Thanks.

Reviewed February 7, 2011

awesome job by GatorD if your intrested in any aspect of the everglades you will love this adventure gators everywhere. thanx for the memories Larry&Dawn @central PA