“Nice Rum Selection”

Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille Ft. Myers Beach
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Family-friendly waterfront dining with affordable pricing. Featuring fresh seafood daily and full bar with our famous Island Mojitos. Indoor and outdoor seating available. Sports Bar and Live Entertainment. Arrive by car or boat. Doc Ford’s Rum Bar and Grille may have originated on Sanibel Island, but be sure to check out this newest location on Fort Myers Beach!
Cherry Hill, NJ
“Nice Rum Selection”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I've read all the Doc Ford novels by Randy Wayne White that gave this place and its sister on Sanibel their name so I was interested to see what they had to offer. Since my wife and I were walking and drinking and eating all day, we weren't hungry when we arrived at Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grill. We heard live music, but couldn't tell where it was coming from. Apparently, there's an inside dining area and deck on the upper level and a lower bar and stage area outside on the lower level. We were directed to the lower level since we wanted to listen to the band. We each ordered beer and enjoyed the band for a while until they took a break. It wasn't busy for a Saturday afternoon in February. We starting asking the bartender about the rum choices and she gave a rum menu. Several selections and the offering of "flights" (three smaller shots) of various rums. I asked some questions and was surprised hen I was told "I don't know much about rum, I'm a vodka girl." It's a rum bar!

But she was pleasant enough so I selected three of the more premium level rums for my flight. I got my flight and, since she asked, I explained the difference between the three rums to the bartender allowing her to smell the differences between a caramel smelling rum vs. one with hints of vanilla and coffee. The premium flight was $19, but a good chance to try something new. And full shots of those same rums would be about $18 each.

We want to return again to try eating there. When leaving, it was mobbed upstairs although there were only a few people downstairs.

Fredericton, New Brunswick
“Awesome service, great food”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We visited this restaurant by chance and turning down the wrong road and ending up on fishermans pier. This was good luck as the service was nothing but phenomenal - staff were all very friendly and the waiter who served us was excellent. I had the fish sandwich and that was very tasty, as were the excellent mussels and taquitos.

• Visited March 2013
Plymouth, Minnesota
“Amazing restaurant right on the water”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Wonderful place to enjoy lunch or dinner either inside or on their beautiful expansive deck! We enjoyed live music on a Saturday night complete with impromptu conga line. There is room for dancing under a starry or sunny sky. We enjoyed wonderful appetizers like their delicious Beach Bread and amazing seafood such as one fillet wrapped in a banana leaf. Everything we tasted we enjoyed and the ambiance was terrific.

• Visited February 2013
Salida
“Big Fish Place! Right on the water just before the bridge.”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Great for cocktails and a light seafood appetizer. The Key Lime Pie was delicious. We sat downstairs in the casual seating area.

Visited February 2013
MI
“never again”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Have been to Doc Fords before and liked it enough to go again this time with out of town guests. Was told they don't take reservations but to call half hour ahead and we'd be put on list. Arrived on a Thurs night and the place was jammed. We got there 10 minutes past the time i said i'd be there and waited another 10, no problem at all based on the crowd.

Drink order was taken relatively quick as the wait person was really swamped. Everything fine as far as service,quality of food, price.

BUT----it was sooo incredably loud we couldn't carry on a conversation let alone barely talk.. By half way through the meal we gave up and just ate in silence. People all around us kept getting louder and louder in order to be heard. After we finished and our guest said "I can think again". I wanted this to be a meal with stimulating conversation and catching up on news. Instead we left with nothing. I will not return

• Visited February 2013