“Love this place”

Outrigger Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Reviewed March 30, 2014

The Outrigger is not fancy, but a wonderful place to stay in Fort Myers Beach. Here are its best features: location--right on the sugary, white sand on the best beach in the area; outdoor pool--heated and a decent size if the ocean isn't for you; Tiki Bar--reasonably priced drinks (and a couple for free with your stay), and GOOD nightly musical entertainment; cafe--good food, good prices, good service; price--not too high but reasonable for the amenities and location; room layout and cleanliness--the room was neat and tidy, and had a small fridge for beverages and snacks. I have been here 4 times. I don't want to pay $400+ nightly for a hotel that I only sleep in for 8 hours, so I love it here. The weather is beautiful in Fort Myers Beach, you'll want to be outdoors. The Outrigger is a great place for a great price in a great location. I've been here with my husband, and with our two young girls. They have a laundry facility on site which is nice. Only negative: the fitness equipment needs updating. But, most people here walk or run outdoors. Love this place!

Room Tip: Look at descriptions online. There are various options. A kitchenette is great for an extended sta...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Monica K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,724)

Reviewed March 28, 2014

We found the Outrigger to be a friendly resort right on Fort Myers beach.
Our visit was in late March, the very high traffic season.
Driving was a bit of a problem with traffic jams on the 2 lane highway.
The guests seem to be mainly older with a few younger families with children.
We reserved the partial beach view room which looked directly into the Tiki Bar.
That worked out fine since it was like an elevated view of the bar and beach.
The Tiki Bar has some basic food choices at reasonable prices.
The hotel is older, but very clean and quiet and tasteful with large rooms.
We had quite a few problems with our door locks. Unlocking required about 20 swipes.
Maintenance tried to fix the problem but failed.
The trolley stop to Times Square and 7-11 were conveniently just across the street.
The white sand beach extended a long way before the water.
Parking and decent wireless internet were free.
All in all we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This review may be more focused on the Fort Myers Beach area than the actual "resort", which it is not, by the way. The staff was friendly and hard working, but unfortunately that is the only pro we can mention. The grounds and motel itself are unattractive. There are trash bins and cigarette butts on the sandy beach. I understand part of the appeal is its affordability, but this place is disappointing. You can find a condo to rent on Sanibel for a little more $$ and it is gorgeous.

2  Thank marilynmat
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My daughter & I just returned from a 5 day vacation at the Outrigger. This resort was perfect for relaxing & soaking up the sun. Our room was perfect (#325) & the entire resort was spotless. We were able to enjoy our last day in full since we took advantage of the "Sandtrap" facility. What a great perk. Everything there to clean-up before heading to the airport. I think we'll be back again!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Two younger friends invited me to go on a surprise two day vacation! It was terrific! Our room looked out to splendid sunsets in the evening and lovely breezes thruout the day. Our cabanas were up and ready for us to relax on after collecting shells. The room was beautiful, clean and fresh! Plenty of towels! Lots of space for clothes for three women! All the employees were friendly and went out of their way to be of assistance. Altho it was spring break there were people of all ages there enjoying themselves, when the sun was going down there was great music at the tiki bar. Anything you need was available in the gift shop, staffed by a busy smiling woman ready to answer any questions we had. I'll go back in a heartbeat!!! M from Tampa

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Great place - we were upgraded to the beach front unit and waking up to that view everyday was awesome! Place was very clean. Has a casual restaurant that you can dine in or take out and eat on the deck while enjoying the sunset! There is little tiki hut bar by the deck with music playing during the evening. A built in pool right there next to the bar. They have gift shop which is super cute right on the beach and the service there is wonderful! Totally recommend!

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I just returned from 2 weeks at the Outrigger (March 2-16) and I am a convert! First of all, this is not a Four Seasons or a Ritz Carlton brand; nor do they claim to be. What they are is a friendly, clean, warm and wonderful place to stay just steps from the sand.

I booked a hidden gem of a room called the Elevator Room. It is perfect for one person. The room actually wraps around the elevator shaft - and no...you cannot hear the elevator AT ALL! It was cozy, clean and quiet and had a full sized bathroom. My comfort was not compromised one bit!

The Tiki Bar was THE BEST! It is a lovely combination of short-term and seasonal guests and locals. There was some complaining about the wait times, but once folks figured out the system there (a line - with a sign - not a typical walk-up to the bar and order) it was great! Every interaction I had with Patty, Phil, Jim and Debbie was like greeting an old friend. They made me feel like a regular! 10 STARS to the Bar Crew! Also, the nightly entertainment was top-notch!

I did eat at the restaurant on site and the food was exactly as expected. I had great service there as well!

The beach at that end of Estero Island is wide and not crowded. The sand is truly like powdered sugar: white and silky and the Gulf water was warm. They have cabana rentals as well, which I did take advantage of.

I am already planning on another trip next year and will be bringing my children and grandchildren.

I met so many wonderful people; both staff and guests. When the place is frequented by locals, you know you've found the right spot on the island!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo