“Unexpectedly negative experience”

Blue Pointe Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Pointe Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 855 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Daniel's Parkway
Description: Seafood, Fresh and Simple Featuring premium fish and the freshest seafood from the North Atlantic, the Pacific Coast, the Great Lakes & the Gulf of Mexico, all served with distinctive style in a contemporary and comfortable setting. Enjoy our full raw bar, lounge and expansive outdoor patio seating. "If you're a seafood zealot who savors the fruits of the sea for every course at dinner and dismisses dessert to leave room for raw oysters at the start of the meal, then you have found your culinary paradise in Blue Pointe." ~Gulf Shore Life
“Unexpectedly negative experience”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

After looking at a number of restaurants reviewed on TripAdvisor, we decided to take my 90 yr old Dad to Blue Pointe for Father's Day, as he LOVES Maine lobster rolls. We did give him a choice of several restaurants with their menus highlighted, and he agreed that he would really enjoy trying Blue Pointe.
I love all types of seafood, so was happy to find that they had raw oysters from several places. I generally do not order raw seafood until I get to know a restaurant and trust them, but with the tripadvisor reviews, I felt safe in trying them. They tasted great. I had noticed them covered in ice in an open bay as we walked in.
All three of us went on to order the Maine lobster roll as our entree. Two of us were disappointed in that it seemed too salty. My husband likes high levels of salt, so he did not have a problem with that, but all of us were disappointed by the celery and onions that served as filler in the sandwich (relative to a version in New England).

Most importantly, I came down with a case of food borne illness 24 hours after eating the meal. I am virtually certain it is linked to the raw oysters, and is either Shigella or the bacteria Vibrio parahaemolyticus. It is not pleasant, to say the least. I am a food scientist (graduate school training) and an expert witness in food safety, so have alot of experience related to this. Blue Pointe needs to tighten up their operations and training procedures to ensure that all employees are up to ServSafe or equivalent standards.

3 Thank Johnny926

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst service I've ever had”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I travel a lot and on the way to the airport today I wanted to stop and have one last great meal. We walked in and were seated asked the older waitress for water and give us a minute to look over the menu before we ordered. After we got our water we sat for 10 minutes waiting for her to come back. This never happened though and was very frustrating therefore left. It is a shame that a resturant has no customer service

1 Thank Nrp10
Peoria, Illinois
“A yummy dinner in Fort Myers”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I and another couple dined at the Blue Pointe. My wife had scallops, and others had blackened corvine, a mess of fried lake perch and grilled grouper. All of the entrees were large, tasty and excellent. We shared a bowl of chowder that was yummy and the fresh, warm bread they bring to the table was outstanding. The key lime pie was good, but not the best we've had on this trip. The service really made a difference. Our server was personable and helpful. The manager, Doug Jensen, came by and chatted about the restaurant and the area. The location is in an upscale mall so parking was a bit of a challenge, but well worth it. We'll return next time we're in the area.

Fort Myers
“Fine Eating”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a great restaurant for all occasions, great menu, great service, nice atmosphere. Looking for good food this is the place. I'll be going back several times, it was a great experience.

• Visited May 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
“Fresh Fish & Super Service”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Back to Blue Point after a 6 month hiatus. Still our go to sea food spot in this back water town.
Fresh regional catch, imported " fresh shell fish and favorites" from the cold waters of both coasts and an exceptional kitchen. Service fast, friendly and efficient. Lunch or Dinner expect Specials that beat the price point & quality of there mediocre few and far between rivals. A pleasant intimate paneled bar/dinning area with intimate booth and hi top seating or a street side covered Lanai in the evening. In the Bell Tower, plenty of free parking and an upscale arcade shopping experience steps away. Try it you'll like it!

• Visited May 2013