“train wreck”

Ranked #44 of 58 Hotels in Fort Myers
Englewood, Florida
“train wreck”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2007

When I arrived, I was given a second story room. Because of a disability with my arm, and I had nobody to carry my luggage, I asked for a room that was at ground level. They had none because they were fully booked. So. . . I struggled up the stairs with my luggage. When I opened the door to my room, I was blasted with the odor of bleach. Now, I love to clean some things in my own home with bleach and water and I actually like the faint odor. But this odor was so strong that I became sick to my stomach and eventually developed a headache. I just wonder now what they were trying to cover up with that bleach? The toilet/bathtub area, the size of a tiny closet, was pocked with cigarette burns. The mattresses on the beds were about 4" thick and were actually tilting from over-use. They were sagging toward the headboard. One of the beds had a brown mark on the sheets and the other bed had a bug in it. I don't know what a bedbug is, but I wonder if this was one. There was a refrigerator in the room which I didn't need. There was a breakfast in the very clean lobby - hard boiled eggs, cereal, indi-wrapped bagels and muffins, juice, coffee, and cereal. There were tons of contractors there, I wonder if they get a special rate for a long term stay. They were all over the "free" breakfast, and wouldn't allow others in (they are just unthinking "guys" and didn't have manners, they were not trying to be mean). They stood there eating their bananas and bagels as others stood back waiting for them to leave. This hotel was rated as 2.5*, I just can't believe it had that rating! It was more like a 1*. Stay away, and for sure do not let children in to this place, it is creepy crawley.

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank rward2121

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hungarian first
Merida, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2006

We stayed two nights at the La Quinta on Cleveland Ave in Ft. Meyer’s Fl. In early Dec. 2006. It’s an older property and was recently a Best Western. The sign out front still had a canvas cover indicting it’s now a La Quinta. For the age of the property it’s in reasonable condition. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were quite spacious. If you’re looking for luxury this isn’t for you. However if you’re looking for a clean, reasonably price room within shouting distance of Sanibel Is. this just might be for you. This would also be worth a look if you like large pools and hot tubs. I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw hotel pool with Olympic size swimming lanes or a hot tub that could easily seat 15 people. There’s also a free breakfast of fruit, rolls and waffles in the resturant. According to my wife and several other guests waffles were very tasty. We didn’t eat lunch or dinner, but heard good things.

Speaking of lunch and dinner- there’s a really inexpensive Chinese restaurant about two blocks away. Nothing more then a hole in the wall named “Hong Kong.” It’s in the same complex as the Albertson’s and Micky D’s. We were told of this place by a crew of construction workers. Lunch plate of garlic shrimp was under $5 including soda. Some of the best shrimp I’ve ever had…at any price. We liked lunch so much we went back for dinner. So much food I had plenty left for my breakfast. The rooms have a refig. and micro and the staff were more than willing to loan me a real plate to reheat my dinner.

In all a very positive experience.

• Liked — The pool and location
  • Disliked — Older property
  • Tips/Secrets — The "Hong Kong" restaurant down the street
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2006

We stayed here one night while in town for the state HOG rally. Got the room for $69 on their website - a good deal given the event weekend. Basic at best, but it was fine. Room was clean if a little tired, but standard 2* fare.

Yes, bath (with commode & shower/tub combo) was small, but not *that* small). I dislike sinks outside the bath - not sure why that trend started - it's a horrible idea, but that's the way it is. Small fridge, microwave, desk/table with two chairs, 2 double beds, adequate lighting, TV, etc. Coffee with fixings supplied, shampoo, soap, adequate towels. We didn't use the pool, but it looked clean.

It was noisy if anyone was talking outside the room, but that's usual for outside access hotels. Front desk staff very nice and helpful. Coffee available most of the time. Breakfast was eggos (toater waffles - no belgians anymore :( ), wrapped Otis Spunkmeyer bagels and an assortment of muffins, fresh fruit, fruit juice, cereal, hard boiled eggs. And, they appeared to clear the food at 10:00, not at 9:00 as stated below... not sure if that's just on the weekends, perhaps?

Wouldn't spend a week there if I had a choice, but it was fine for the one night - we slept well, beds were a little firm, but not uncomfortable - with enough pillows. Great location, and yes, we ate at Mel's twice while there. Good food there, not too expensive.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Cape Coral, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2006

I've stayed at a lot of LaQuinta hotels in the last several years, and they've all been very nice... so when I reserved a room at the LQ in Ft Myers, I did it without hesitation. But this is the LaQuinta that time (or the corporate office) forgot!

I stayed at this hotel while I was relocating and looking for an apartment in Fort Myers. I stayed there for three days. I spent as little time as possible in the room.
The bathroom was actually missing tiles from the walls and floor, the toilet didn't flush properly, the bathroom was tiny, the bathtub was stained... and that's jjust the problems with the tiny, tiny bathroom. I was excited that there was a mini-fridge in the room... but it was held together with DUCT TAPE! The drapes didn't work, the bedding was falling apart... and I was glad I brought my slippers because the floor was yucky. Oh, and there isn't enough parking around the hotel to accomodate its guests.

So, why am I giving this an "OKAY" review? Well, I didn't fear for my safey. I slept well. I got my wakeup calls when I was supposed to. The front desk staff was nice... though a little clueless. And considering how hard it is to find a hotel room in SW Florida in December, I knew I wouldn't have found anything better on short notice.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank Sportslady
Nova Scotia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2006

Stayed at this hotel for two nights, had a very clean 2nd level room with 2 double beds. Washroom was a little small, I jokingly compared it to an RV bathroom. Found the pool area to be clean and the water was a great temperature. The continental breakfast was adequate, but they take all the food away at 9am. Got a good deal through Hotwire, and definately a good value.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank TravelNut
New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2006

We stayed here for one night only after coming back from Orlando. If it had been more than one night, I would have checked out right after checking in.

The room itself was ok, but the bathroom was so small I couldn't stand to be in there. A full size tub/shower combo and a toilet in an 4 x 4 space. Anyone with long legs probably would have had their knees hitting the wall when sitting.

The sink is in a seperate (and bigger) alcove but is not closed off from the bedroom. Since I was there with my teenage son, dressing in private was definately an issue. They need to remove the door from the shower/toilet area and put in on the sink alcove area.

Beds were extremely firm, almost to the point of hard. In room wireless internet worked fine. We didn't stay for breakfast so I can't comment on that. Pool area looked small and lounge chairs could have used a good cleaning.

About the only plus I can give it is it's close to City of Palms ballpark and that's not enough to make me stay again. Definately overpriced at $161 plus tax.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank gailmjohnson
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2006

I Was A Little Hesitant About Staying here after the reviews...But it was a great hotel.....My husband is a cop so he is very aware of of the surroundings. The restarant next to the hotel(mel's) is great for lunch or dinner. We were very pleased with the hotel, they have a great breakfast and our kids loved the heated pool...

• Stayed February 2006