“Six Mile Cypress is always a delight”

Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve
Book In Advance
More Info
$158.99*
and up
Small-Group Tour: Everglades Adventure Day Trip from Greater Fort Myers/Naples...
Ranked #2 of 120 things to do in Fort Myers
Reviewed November 9, 2011

My husband and I have visited Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve close to half a dozen times over the last three years. It is just a short drive from downtown Fort Myers and Fort Myers Beach. It is always a surprise what wildlife you will see there. We have seen baby as well as adult alligators, cotton mouth snakes (two in one day!), ibis, lizards, turtles, and even wild baby boar. The round-trip walk on the boardwalk through the preserve is approx. one mile and features a larger large lake, some smaller ponds, and, of course, the remaining area is slough. In the wet season (we were just there a few weeks ago), water covers the entire area. It is definitely a worthwhile way to spend some time while visiting Southwest Florida. Parking is $1 an hour and there is no admittance fee. Check it out!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,685)

Reviewed November 7, 2011

A friend recommended I visit this preserve and I was so glad that I did. It is really special. There is a 1+ mile boardwalk or you can take a short cut if needed. It winds through a lovely cypress swamp with alligators and turtles and wading birds and gorgeous plants. I saw quite a few warblers too. I took the guided walk which was very informative then spent time on my own. It was peaceful and lovely and the other visitors I met were so nice. What a treat to find such a jewel in the midst of Ft Myers. Their visitors center is worth a visit also - especially if you don't take the guided walk. They are doing guided walks each day now at 9:30. There is no admission fee only $1 per hour for parking. I recommend 2 hours parking time. I was told that if you come in the late afternoon, you can see the birds fly into the trees at the lake to roost. I'm going back to try that! Great place for kids too.

2  Thank merymeet
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This 1.2 mile boardwalk trail is absolutely beautiful. They have a sign posted saying "No Power Walking" and they're right. A slow amble allowed us to see lots of beautiful trees, a cypress swamp, alligators, a wild pig nursing her 4 day old piglets, ibis, and anhinga. We stopped there on our way to Sanibel Island and it was a perfect intro to the quiet and change of pace. Don't miss it.

1  Thank Judy M
Reviewed September 6, 2011

So you are staying at Fort Myers Beach and you want to see the true natural habitat of Florida, but want to see it close to wherer you are. Six Mile Cypress has a boardwalk you take you through thru Cypress, Ponds, and Swamps. Yes I was worried about misquitoes but never had a single problem with them at all. Suggestions, boardwalk can be slippery because of leaves on it, wear approiate shoes. and slow down sometimes you just need to stop, be quiet and listen, you will be so surprised what you see. Thank you to Carolyn who was there as a volunteer and helped us spot things we would of never seen on out own.

2  Thank CCP8195
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We've lived in the Fort Myers area for about five years, and this park is one of our favorites. On July 13th, I took my first ever guided tour through the park (during the summer they are only offered once per week). Because our area has had so much rain lately, the board walk stroll was totally different. At one part of the tour, our guide pointed out that there was nearly 16 feet of water in the highest point of the slough. This meant that most of the wading birds present during the dry season weren't to be seen. We did see plenty of other wildlife, and our tour guide, Marge, was an expert on the local vegetation. Since I'd been to this park many times before, it was nice to have somebody explain to me what I'd been seeing and why it was there. Within a few minutes of the start of our tour, we'd spotted a baby gator-near the entrance to the board walk. We also saw anhinga, egrets, turtles, several baby gators, and a tree where a sap sucker woodpecker had been feeding. Marge also pointed out a Bald Cypres, Shoe String Fern, Resurection Fern, Whisk Fern, Fire Flag, a blooming air plant, and many other varieties of ferns and palms. She was also able to give us information on the animals and plants we saw-I especially liked the legend of the Sabal Palm that she exlained (the stems are called boots because legend has it that the cowboys of old Florida used to hang their boots on them). Even though I've never seen them at the park, our guide said that wild pigs are frequently spotted in the park (but they are less frequent when there is lots of water, as they don't like to go in water). Our guide also said that on one of her tours, she spotted a bob cat on the board walk and her group had to wait for it to move on before they could proceed. There is a small parking fee, but otherwise the park, guided tour, and interpretive center are all free. There are bathrooms and water fountains at the entrance to the boardwalk, but even in the lower morning temperature it was nice to have a bottle of water on the 90 minute tour. Although I've never had a problem with bugs in this area before, I wish I had used bug spray before our tour. I brought my own binnoculars for the tour, but the tour guides offer them to those who have forgotten theirs. We've taken our grandfather, in a wheelchair, on the boardwalk with no problems. There are benches to sit on and plenty of shade along the way-including a few nice spots that overlook ponds or lakes.

5  Thank slfetter