“NIGHT and DAY”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of University Grill

University Grill
Ranked #4 of 848 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The university grill is a upscale local bar and grill. From great burgers and beer,to high choice aged meats and fresh seafood. Our customers are very loyal as are our winter locals. When someone has been here for the first time there comment is why did it take me so long to find this place.
boca raton
“NIGHT and DAY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Let me start by saying that I ONLY went here because we had had a HORRIBLE experience out on sanibel island this past summer at their mazatlan cafe, or whatever it's called.......they sent me a VERY nice gift certificate.....and since we have family in the area we decided to try another location in the same restaurants chain.......not expecting much from online reviews.....we decided to go early and get served before they got busy and food/service fell apart (which was the opinion of alot of reviewers).......well....what a DELIGHT!!!.....we were greeted immediately, seated promptly and a drink order was taken.....(P.S....they did NOT know why we were there)...Our server Alyssa was GREAT!!!.....took orders.....answered questions....DIDN'T RUSH......we had appetizers and drinks in a civilized manner....orders were taken.....salads did NOT come out at same time as entrees.......entrees were ALL (party of 8) served PERFECTLY cooked.....fish dishes were moist and flaky....beef was cooked to everyones liking........we did not partake of dessert and coffee as we were having it back at the house....but the desserts I saw going by looked ENTICING!!!..........there IS an early bird.....and I pity the poor servers that have to deal with the cheap O's.....but the difference between what we had out on sanibel....and in town, less than 10 miles away was INCREDIBLE!!!.....I STILL would NOT go back to Mazatlan.....but I would go to University grill again in a MINUTE.......

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank alfred m

Michigan
“Nicer place for early dinner than usual”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stopped here for dinner one night, just before 6 PM. We did not know they had early dinner specials, and it was obvious that the seniors in the area take advantage of them!

Even though it was just before the cut off, we were told that we were free to order from the specials. We did, and I would say the food was better than anticipated given that fact.

The decor was nice, service was excellent. Beer selection was better than average, and featured some more unusual choices. We would go here again, if we ever return to Fort Myers.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Nanner08
Florida
“SO AVERAGE”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have a big problem with restaurants that overcook their fish...and this is one the those places....The bread was the highlight of my meal....service was average. Good location before the theater because it is located across the street from Barbara B Mann Theatre...nice enough atmosphere...perhaps their burgers are better than the fish. I ordered the haddock broiled came out dry and overcooked. Lobster bisque was above average

• Visited November 2012
Naperville, Illinois
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have passed this restaurant at least 100 times, but we were always going out on an errand so never stopped to eat. However, this weekend we were going to the Barbara Mann Theater in Ft. Myers and decided to try the University Grill because of it's proximity to the theater. We were quite pleased with our dining experience. We arrive 15 min. before our reservation but were seated almost immediately. Our waitress was very attentive and animated. She was great about making suggestions for us which we took. Our meals came out "very hot" and were plated nicely. I had the crunchy grouper sandwich (substituted fresh steamed veggies for fries) and my husband had "rare" prime rib. The restaurant itself has a nice dark wood interior. The bar has TVs to watch sporting events, but there is no sound on the them. Although the restaurant was lively, my husband and I had no problem hearing each other when we talked. We enjoyed this dining experience very much.

• Visited November 2012
Greenwood
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Busy Night, I Guess”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was my first visit to the University Grill which is owned by a group that has two other outstanding restaurants (different names) in the general area. We had reservations but had to wait for about 25 minutes. Our party of 5 was seated and served but not without some trouble. There were two mistakes with the drinks and salads. When the entrees arrived, the mashed potatoes were luke warm at best and better described as cold. The wait staff corrected these errors in a prompt fashion. The remainder of the meals were fine. All in all, I was disappointed with this dining experience but I will go back as I believe this was probably a one time situation.

Visited September 2012