“Recommended to us, now I can recommend to you”

Prawnbroker Restaurant and Fish Market
Ranked #25 of 1,000 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Walking through the front doors, guests are greeted by the in-house seafood market, where the Prawnbroker showcases their specially chosen fresh fillets of fish and beef, hand-cut on premise, that are sure to tempt the palates of all. To emphasize their commitment to buying local and bringing you the freshest seafood Ft. Myers has to offer, you'll find our hand picked selection straight from the local waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Here you'll get a peek at the sumptuous fare that you'll soon be enjoying from their comfortable yet elegant dining room. Feast your eyes on mouth-watering Snapper, Gulf Shrimp, Softshell Crabs, Mahi Mahi, and the best Grouper Florida has to offer. Small tubs of pale pink creamy shrimp bisque stand in line next to bases for both kinds of chowder - New England style being what the restaurant is most famous for, a nod to the original owners' home region. Diners consistently return to enjoy these favorites plus the greatest Florida Stone crabs (in season) and Maine Lobsters.
Reviewed March 12, 2022 via mobile

This moderately priced seafood restaurant did not disappoint. It doesn't open until 4:00 pm, but for dinner this was the place to be. Apps run around $8-$10, mixed drinks run $8-$9, most dinners were from $15 to as high as around $35. Meals come with a seasonal vegetable, choice of potato and salad. Bread is also served for the table. Service was quite good. Blake was personable, knowledgeable about the menu, prompt, and we were impressed that he never wrote any of our ordering down. Everything came just as ordered. It was clear from watching the service around us as well that this is a professional staff that takes pride in providing good service, which has become somewhat of a hit or miss these days. As for my Swordfish Rockefeller, it was grilled perfectly with a wonderful spinach artichoke parm topping. There were nothing but empty plates left in front of all of us. We enjoyed the wonderfully relaxed atmosphere throughout our dinner and I could say we would all recommend you give this place a try.

1  Thank rschmitt73

Reviewed March 10, 2022

I can't recommend this restaurant enough! The seafood is exceptional and very reasonably priced considering it's fresh from their onsite market! The bouillabaisse is fantastic...the seafood perfectly cooked! We also recommend the seafood platter, stuffed grouper and oysters on the half shell...all excellent.

Even though the restaurant was busy, the employees went out of their way to be kind and courteous to everyone. Even the patrons we witnessed who were rude and condescending to the hostess were treated with respect.

1  Thank sunnygal572017
Reviewed March 9, 2022

After reading all the excellent reviews of Prawnbrokers for the past 9 years we were excited to try the establishment... The result was far less exciting.

My wife and I ordered Gin and Tonics, our regular "dinner out" drink. Both of us couldn't stand the taste, so we returned the drinks. Our waiter returned with no drink replacement because the bartender told our waiter, "We have a reputation for having bad tonic water." Exact quote.

So, now to dinner. I ordered one of favorite "night out" meals...a Caesar salad and Escargot.

Simply, the Caesar literally had an very heavy "earthy" taste. I was seriously concerned that the lettuce wasn't thoroughly washed. Five bites and I was done.

The Escargot was swimming in a horrible tasting liquid. I couldn't tell if it was butter, oil or a mixture of liquids. I ate TWO escargot and stopped. I LOVE Escargot and eat it quite often...this recipe...sorry no.

Over on my wife's plate was a favorite meal of hers...Tripletail. She said it tasted plain, needed seasoning and was luke warm. The only thing done right, she said, was the sweet potato.

With all this, our waiter ED was really fantastic and understanding.

Prawnbrokers is OFF our list.

Reviewed March 8, 2022 via mobile

We ordered a gin and tonic cocktail. It was horrible (the waiter even came back to tell us they had bad tonic). THAT should have been our sign. My husband ordered a Caesar Salad and Escargot. He told me his salad was like eating dirt and he only ate 2 of his escargot which he said was the worst he’s ever had. I had the triple tail. It was terribly under seasoned and NOT worth what we paid for. Bottom line, if you’re looking for “fine dining”, this is NOT the place to go to. We will NOT return.

Reviewed March 5, 2022 via mobile

Not an attractive color for a restaurant. Parking is ok. However, food is very good and reasonably priced. We had a small party of 20 for a birthday party here. First we had appetizers and I especially liked the calamari. I had the 6 oz fillet and my wife had the haddock. Enjoyed them both. Bar is small and a distance away. Our gathering was at the same time as happy hour and obviously the restaurant has an excellent following so I suggest you make reservations.

Date of visit: February 2022