“mad good”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Fort Myers
“mad good”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is by far our favorite restaurant in town. It's quirky, has a city-neighborhood feel, and an eclectic crowd (clientele and staff). If you're a this-on-the-side and this-instead-of-that kind of restaurant eater then this is not the place for you. I'm amused by some of the other reviews that say Xavier is rude. He's just running his restaurant his way, and that's one of the reasons we love it. We've thoroughly enjoyed every meal we've had here including flatbread, salmon cakes, short rib tacos, lamb t-bone, steak frites, great wine, and the DIVINE creme brulee with nutella on the bottom!

“Delish!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I went to Mad Fresh based on the recommendation of many of my friends. The food is amazing and every plate that came out looked more creative, bright and yummy than the last...I wanted all of it! We had the flat bread special and it was perfectly crisp with all fresh, wonderful fixings on top. I would eat there everyday if I could!

“Rude chef”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is my second time to Mad Fresh. The first time I visited the salmon cakes were fabulous- a wonderful blend of seasoning. I was very pleased today that they were on the specials board again. This time the red onion completely overpowered the taste and the sauce that was served on the cakes last time was not on the salmon cakes this time. Disappointing.

My daughter ordered a burger and asked the the onions be left off. The chef yelled over the counter "Didn't you read on the menu that there are no substitutions? The onions will be caramelized perfectly-they will be sweet." My daughter replied that she doesn't like onions but agreed that she would just pick them off. When her meal was delivered, the chef pointed out that he left them off but told her to order something else next time!

My son's ratatouille tartine was marginal-he left over 1/2 of it. No flatbreads were available today.

The truffle fries were excellent.

For $52 plus tip for 3 of us for lunch, I won't be returning. There are many fine restaurants in Fort Myers that don't insult their customers and prepare better food.

5 Thank psu2kids
New Lenox, Illinois
“Fun place, excellent food”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I had heard that the chef at Mad Fresh was a bit like the guy selling soup in a Seinfeld episode. (No ketchup is served to any over the age of 10) I liked the sound of a chef who insists upon serving his food correctly, so we went looking for Mad Fresh. It is very small, but no one seemed to mind the wait. There are stools at the counter so you can watch food being prepared. Everyone was enjoying themselves -- except the male waiter who had a dour look. I wished our female waitress (actually the chef's wife) had told us that the flat bread was as big as a fiesta pizza. My friend and I both ordered our own because we'd heard they were the chef's specialty -- and they were both very good. Next time, however, we'll may bring our own red pepper flakes or something. Our husbands both had the bleu cheese burger, but the chef couldn't bring himself to serve it medium well as ordered. Both the men agreed the chef was correct.
Fresh food, fresh preparation, fun place.

Visited March 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
“Bravo...best little place in town.”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

It's true, the artiste chef doesn't want you adding salt, pepper, and ketchup to the food...because it doesn't need it. I have been to this place several times now, tried a number of items on the menu (get the Parisian or Spaniard burger,) and the food is AWESOME. And the chef isn't sensitive, you are, if you can't just enjoy a little something different. We have such a set idea of what a restaurant should be in this town, and how often do you actually get to sit and interact with the guy making your food? The fries are divine, the specials are always unique and delicious, and I personally enjoy the French-Bostonian and his sidekicks. If you can't handle the free-spirited attitude, order a flat bread to go.

• Visited February 2013