“Delish”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Cape Coral, Florida
“Delish”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I have had lunch at Fancy's twice now and look forward to many happy returns! We loved the Crazy Chef restaurant that occupied these premises before, and do miss it, but this new occupant makes up for CC's disappearance. The decor has been extensively redone, and is attractive and original; as before, the cooking all gets done up front where you can watch, particularly if you sit in the narrower area before the main dining room. First time we went we found the blast of AC where we were seated in the main room was uncomfortable, and asked to be moved to across from where the chefs work, and loved it. Service first visit from an attentive and friendly young man was outstanding; second time our waitress was rarely seen, though effective enough I guess. This second time it seemed as if the very pleasant and multi-tasking hostess served about two thirds of the orders in addition to fulfilling a number of other duties.

But how's the food? See review title above: we still have to try a number of menu items, but we're already in love. I've had the pimento cheeseburger, one of the best burgers I've had in a very, very long time, perfectly cooked, tasty, juicy, with an amazing barbecue mayo to go with it; great bun too! My husband liked his meatloaf sandwich so much he didn't even want to let me have a bite, but he knows his meatloaf, and said it was truly amazing. This last time we both had the shrimp and grits, so good: 4 perfectly cooked shrimp on a pool of cheesy grits surrounded by a slightly spicy tomato-ey tasso ham jus; didn't detect the roasted corn that's supposed to be there... Also, this is a dish that really need to be served up on a hot plate, which was not the case, so it cooled off pretty fast. Servings are copious, and prices are surprisingly reasonable for the quality and quantity of the food (general comment, since I saw virtually every dish on the menu set on the counter when ready to be served). One suggestion for a change that really needs to be made to the menu if they want real cred: The crawfish, ham, andouille and dirty rice soup is "étouffée", not "Et Touffee"... I'll try it soon though no matter what they call it.

Apparently one needs a reservation for dinner, I'm not surprised, it's not a very big place; lunch was busy both times we went, but we got a table for two with no trouble a little after 12; got busier later. We're delighted with this new and different addition to the Fort Myers restaurant scene, and can't wait to go back.

• Visited March 2013

“Fancy, Truly!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

We've been looking for a restaurant like this in Ft Myers for weeks! New Orleans flavors with a choice of delicious vegetables. All homemade. Outstanding! Returning there in three days!

Cape Coral, Florida
“Great Southern Home Cooked Dishes”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is a new restaurant to the Fort Myers area and already you need reservations for dinner. The fd is fresh, home cooked and dishes like Mom used to cook. Their chicken pot pie is wonderful, their crab cakes made with lots of crab and shrimp and grits out of this world. Only 2 small suggestions--have fresh ground pepper and hot tea available to those who do not drink coffee. The staff is helpful, efficient and accomodating. A great new restaurant with lots of potential for being a long term member of the community.

• Visited March 2013
Scribner, Nebraska
“Limited menu”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Location somewhat hidden. Interesting interior; limited seating. Felt the menu was not very broad. The items on the menu did have a 'southern' flair to them as well as a 'gourmet' preparation. Prices average to mid-high range.. Husband had pot pie which looked awesome with a puffy pastry type covering. Gravy was good. My salad was with strawberries/pecans and was very skimpy with strawberries--4 small ones. Did request more and they brought a small soup cup full. Tomato soup was very acidic and needed toned down with extra milk/cream. Servers were willing to please. Restaurant seems to have a good basis but the menu could be broader.

• Visited February 2013
Naples, Florida
“Unresponsive website, disappointed potential diners”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

On the recommendation of a friend, I sought out Fancy's website and inquired through the website whether reservations were needed. No one bothered to respond. So, my wife and I drove 30 miles from Naples, only to be told that without a reservation, there would be a two-hour wait.

• Visited February 2013