“fabulous! great food and service! interesting decor”

Fancy's Southern Cafe
Ranked #27 of 863 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Bonita Springs, Florida
“fabulous! great food and service! interesting decor”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

What a find! Just 5minutes west of I75 on Daniels Parkway so a quick trip even if you're not in Fort Myers.

First advice - make reservation! This place is a hit. We had 7PM reservation arrived about 20 minutes early had to wait. No issue. The owner suggested we sit outside, described the beers and wines on their menu, took our drink orders and delivered them a couple of minutes. The pleasant beginning of a very enjoyable evening. Once more about reservations. The place was full at 7 and when we left about 8:45 it had filled up again! So at least 2 full seatings yes it was Saturday night.

Now to the food. First if you yearn for and enjoy southern food - THIS IS THE PLACE. We started out with fried green tomatoes and fried grits. OMG! Each was a special treat. Our seven year old was enjoying them as she does french fries. The grits were little fried nuggets served with a light spiced sauce. We would have been happy to have placed a couple more orders of them, but had to save room.

Second, each of our meals were cooked to order. There is a wait to insure the food is served hot and done to your liking. And brother is it ever!

One of us had the chicken pot pie with black eyed peas and collard greens. Another fried chicken again with collard greens, another fried catfish with sweet potato soufflé topped with chopped pecans and marshmallows and yea you guessed it collard greens. Of course the 7 year old had a burger and fries - also freshly fried and delicious.

Each on of these entrees was as you would expect it in the best of southern cooking restaurants whether eating under a tree or on white table cloths.

The decor of the place is unique and was done by the two brothers who own it. Very homey and imaginative. Especially what was done with doors and church pews.

Of course we had dessert. OMG! OMG! they are all made there from scratch not Duncan Hines. We had the triple chocolate cake - heavenly. And the banana pudding also coming from heaven.

The service staff were all friendly and efficient.

We found not one thing to criticize (well I think I gained a pound - but that is my problem with control)

I am almost reluctant to say this. If you are within 30 miles this is worth a visit. It can't make the place any more busy (well maybe) but it will be sure to insure its success and longevity which I oh so want so I can return again and again.

• Visited December 2012

“Hidden gem. Just needs a little tweaking”
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We had dinner here on the 19th of November. It was a larger party so we made reservations, and when we arrived our table was ready. Our waiter came over and promptly took our drink order, but never told us his name. That continued all night. We order several apps and everything was cooked correctly, however nothing was seasoned. The fried okra was extremely bland, the deviled eggs had a hint of sourness to them and the étouffée was missing its traditional kick. When dinners arrived, it was a very similar experience. Everything was properly cooked, except the ribs were slightly undercooked, but nothing was properly seasoned. Salt and pepper could have changed everything. The collard greens and grits were both outstanding. Service was decent at best. Things weren't ordered correctly and came out at different times. They also brought food to the table and auctioned it off while interrupting any conversation that may be happening. i.e. who ordered this, who ordered that. We asked for separate checks and he explained that "they didnt do that because it was too time consuming for them. It was just easier for us to do it". The thought of that is ridiculous. All and all we had a good time. I will definately be back as I am from Arkansas and no one around serves comfort food at this level. I would not show up with a large party because it is "too difficult" for the staff, but I am eagerly anticipating my return.

Fort Myers, Florida, United States
“Really good Southern comfort food”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Just had a great lunch at Fancy's, my friend and both enjoyed our meals.She had catfish, crisp with great coating and flavor and sweet potato soufflé , yummy. I had crawfish po boy, very nicely one with sweet potato fries. Can't wait to go back and try dinner, everything looked so good, and waiter was very sweet and charming. Great time!

• Visited November 2012
Fort Myers, Florida
“Excellent!!!!”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is our sixth visit to Fancy's and they are great - consistent - and match wines with meals to perfection. Tonight 12 of us went to dinner - everything was superb and the service was fabulous. Could not have asked for a beter evening!!!!!!! Crab cakes - filet - chicken - ribs - frog legs... were all wonderful! Top quality all around

• Visited November 2012
Fort Myers, Florida
“Great independent southern home cooking in Fort Myers”
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Dined here for the first time last week because of a friends recommendation. I loved everything about it. It's small but has a open kitchen and a kwirky decor that I thought was great. The menu is compact but has a great range giving you many different entree options. I tried the signature chicken and waffles and all I can say is yum!! I wasn't sure if I was eating breakfast, dinner or dessert but loved each bite while I was trying to decide. The others in my party also enjoyed their meals as well. They don't have a full liquor bar but it was fine with me since I'm a beer and wine guy and both of these optilns hac great value. I can't wait to go back! Well done chef!!