“good room”

Ranked #37 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
north dakota
“good room”
Reviewed February 17, 2007

We stayed one night at the resort and it was good. The staff was friendly. The room was clean enough for my wife and our family. The beds were very comfortable. We stayed in the main building but the resort cottages looked nice from the outside. The gas station/store a block away was a little scary but we had no problems with the neighborhood. The price was right. we paid 110+tax for two adults and 3 kids. More than we are used to, but every place else we checked was more or had bad reviews. I would recomend this place to anyone.

Thanks to tripadvisor.com we were in florida for a week and there advice was right on the mark

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
marylander
Reviewed December 12, 2006

We (my wife and myself) had arrived at our Timeshare by mistake a week early – Fisherman’s Village in Punta Gorda, Fl! Our timeshare week is usually Thanksgiving week, however, on occasions, our Timeshare week is the week following Thanksgiving – it so happened that this was one of those years. We had to find somewhere else to stay. We found a hotel the first night not far from our timeshare and I checked the internet and found a phone number for the Rock Lake Resort (in Fort Myers, Fl- 2937 Palm Beach Blvd-[--]) since we had planned to visit Sannibel Island. I called and asked if I could reserve a room. I mentioned that we would be there the next day and may stay for about a week.

The next day we were allowed to view a number of rooms that were available either, near the office or cottages across the street around a small lake near the swimming pool, tennis courts, laundry facilities, etc. The resort is an older resort that has recently been renovated. We chose a room near the office with two double beds and a refrigerator. The cottages on the lake had a coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator. All the rooms had recently been renovated with ceramic tiles on the floors, crown molding, etc. The bathroom also had a beautiful pedestal sink. Pleasantly surprising was finding that our towels were colored and not the usual hotel “white”; sheets were also on occasion colored. We chose and really liked our room near the office since it had double windows on the front and side to view the bricked courtyard. Fresh coffee was available at the office in the morning so we didn’t mind not having a coffee maker. We called our friends in St Petersburg to come and see the sites with us and got them a room, too. They also enjoyed the resort.

The staff was always helpful and pleasant and also recommended sites for us to see around Ft. Myers. The resort is located between I 75 and US 41 close to the historic downtown area sites. My wife found a large antique store downtown (2 buildings) if you are interested in antiques (others found on MacGregor(sp?) heading towards Sannibel. We really enjoyed the Ft Myers area sites – the resort provided discount coupons for the Ford and Edison Museum. We also enjoyed the Ft Myers beach as well as Sanibel, etc. and the manatees near the Water Plant east of I 75 off of Palm Beach Blvd, and many various fine restaurants in Ft Myers and the surrounding area. Although we found this resort by “accident”, we would not hesitate to enjoy it again and highly recommend it for its helpful staff, pleasant accommodations and reasonable pricing.

Stayed November 2006
4 Thank reviews2
Chicago, IL
Reviewed November 26, 2006

I booked my travel to Rock Lake Resort online when I pre-purchase a full travel package with hotel, car, and flight fare included this past summer.
As a business woman from Chicago, IL I was glad to have found a reasonably priced and quiet room accommodation that was not as expensive or crowded as most beach hotels are. The resort management gave me great advise on where to go and how to best explore Fort Myers Downtown area as well as where to find local restaurant and shopping bargains.
The rooms were clean, pleasant, and comfortable. Other points of interest were accessible by bike or car - which is how you want to travel when you are in FL anyway, especially if you travel by yourself or with family.
I will strongly consider staying at Rock Lake Resort next time I travel to FL and the Mexican Bay area.

• Liked — Management Services and Room Comfort
  • Disliked — NA
  • Tips/Secrets — No surprises here - you will have a great and affordable stay.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Apacz
Reviewed March 18, 2006

We stayed at Rock Lake Resort from March 10 through 17, 2006. We found it very relaxing, quiet, and charming. Yes, it had "two" locks on the door....but that didn't pose a concern for us. The staff was friendly and courteous, and our accomodations were clean and adequate. We especially enjoyed the porch looking out on the lake, and found ourselves spending time in the mornings and night relaxing and enjoying the quiet. If you are looking for a quiet and relaxing time, Rock Lake is for you. It's conveniently located (once you figure out how to back-trace your steps due to the one way streets) We would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 27, 2006

Just came back from a family stay occupying 6 rooms in 3 cabins by the lake. We had a fantastic time as it was so easy to go back & forth between cabins. We saw green parrots & white egrets on the grounds, fish & a turtle in the lake, & made use of the canoe. Evan's Restaurant across the street is open for breakfast (we loved the bowls of oatmeal) & lunch. There's a convenience store right at the corner. We made use of the fridge & dishes in the kitchenettes. It's not a good place to stay without a car but it's a short drive to downtown which is being revived - the French Connection worked great for a family dinner. Yes, it takes a long time to get hot water & it isn't fancy, but it's a very unique place that likely won't be around for long as the owners have already been offered over $8 million for the property. It has way more character than a chain hotel or the expensive highrise which will probably replace it. I'm so glad I experienced Rock Lake Resort!

• Stayed January 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 14, 2005

Our party from the UK of 7 (including 4 children) stayed for 2 nights at the Rock Lake in April. We had booked based on previous ratings on the Tripadvisor Website & weren't disappointed.

We occupied 3 cottages on the lake and the cleanliness, facilities and staff were superb. The previous few nights were spent at 2 other motel chains in the Homosassa & Tampa areas and both accomodations were in states of disrepair & were dirty - we had no such problems at Rock Lake and we wished we had allocated enough time for a longer stay.

The beds were very comfortable, the kitchenettes extremely well equiped and the decor very tasteful.

The children enjoyed the pool and the nature walk whilst the adults relaxed in peace on the individual patios to the sound of the dolphin fountains playing in the background - heavenly!

• Stayed April 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Aulendorf, Germany
Reviewed June 1, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed here for four nights in January 2005. We picked out this resort because of the great reviews on this website. Well - it was quite OK but, judging from the reviews we would have expected something better.

First of all: The staff was very nice and friendly and also very helpful. The room was clean.

What we didn't like that much:

There were stains on the walls (coffee? - I hope).
The dishes (esp. the pan) looked - let me say - VERY used.
The shower cabin leaked all over the bathroom floor. A sign said something like: "There is a long way from the hot water tank to your shower, so please be patient." Of course, it's our vacation, we got plenty of time. No problem. After ten minutes there is still no hot water. Try the cold water tap and you get hot water within 30 seconds!
Something else hurt me a little bit: I am a gardener - so it wasn’t really nice to see those plant containers on every terrace with nothing in them but soil. This is Florida, there should be some flowers.
One word about the kitchenette: The sink is a joke! It’s almost too small to wash your hands in it, not to mention a used plate or pan.

All in all I have to state that the bungalow itself might need a renovation and a little bit more love.

What we did like:

We spent a great afternoon having a canoe trip. At the front desk we were told that the paddles actually serve as a defence against alligators and not that much as a possibility to move forward. Uuh - OK. We kept our heads spinning around during the whole trip but, didn’t spot any gators. That was quite exciting.

Further: We used the ping-pong table, did our laundry, spent some time in the pool and took a short walk around the property. Everything was OK.

There must be a church somewhere. We had the great pleasure listening to people singing gospels. Tried to find the place but couldn’t. And: We didn't feel we had to be afraid of something or somebody outside the resort (as mentioned in another review). Well, apparently the people who live in the area around the resort are not wealthy but, it's there like everywhere: Be nice and people will treat you right. We had a great time with the guys at the gas station around the corner. They were very helpful (we couldn't find the entrance to the resort first).

Overall this place is definitely recommendable. It’s not a “wow”-place but, more like “I feel a bit like home here”.

• Stayed January 2005