“Superb stay at Rick Lake”
Review of Rock Lake Resort

and 1 more site!
Rock Lake Resort
Ranked #37 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
A TripAdvisor Member
Hertfordshire, England
Reviewed July 14, 2005

Our party from the UK of 7 (including 4 children) stayed for 2 nights at the Rock Lake in April. We had booked based on previous ratings on the Tripadvisor Website & weren't disappointed.

We occupied 3 cottages on the lake and the cleanliness, facilities and staff were superb. The previous few nights were spent at 2 other motel chains in the Homosassa & Tampa areas and both accomodations were in states of disrepair & were dirty - we had no such problems at Rock Lake and we wished we had allocated enough time for a longer stay.

The beds were very comfortable, the kitchenettes extremely well equiped and the decor very tasteful.

The children enjoyed the pool and the nature walk whilst the adults relaxed in peace on the individual patios to the sound of the dolphin fountains playing in the background - heavenly!

• Stayed: April 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed June 1, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed here for four nights in January 2005. We picked out this resort because of the great reviews on this website. Well - it was quite OK but, judging from the reviews we would have expected something better.

First of all: The staff was very nice and friendly and also very helpful. The room was clean.

What we didn't like that much:

There were stains on the walls (coffee? - I hope).
The dishes (esp. the pan) looked - let me say - VERY used.
The shower cabin leaked all over the bathroom floor. A sign said something like: "There is a long way from the hot water tank to your shower, so please be patient." Of course, it's our vacation, we got plenty of time. No problem. After ten minutes there is still no hot water. Try the cold water tap and you get hot water within 30 seconds!
Something else hurt me a little bit: I am a gardener - so it wasn’t really nice to see those plant containers on every terrace with nothing in them but soil. This is Florida, there should be some flowers.
One word about the kitchenette: The sink is a joke! It’s almost too small to wash your hands in it, not to mention a used plate or pan.

All in all I have to state that the bungalow itself might need a renovation and a little bit more love.

What we did like:

We spent a great afternoon having a canoe trip. At the front desk we were told that the paddles actually serve as a defence against alligators and not that much as a possibility to move forward. Uuh - OK. We kept our heads spinning around during the whole trip but, didn’t spot any gators. That was quite exciting.

Further: We used the ping-pong table, did our laundry, spent some time in the pool and took a short walk around the property. Everything was OK.

There must be a church somewhere. We had the great pleasure listening to people singing gospels. Tried to find the place but couldn’t. And: We didn't feel we had to be afraid of something or somebody outside the resort (as mentioned in another review). Well, apparently the people who live in the area around the resort are not wealthy but, it's there like everywhere: Be nice and people will treat you right. We had a great time with the guys at the gas station around the corner. They were very helpful (we couldn't find the entrance to the resort first).

Overall this place is definitely recommendable. It’s not a “wow”-place but, more like “I feel a bit like home here”.

• Stayed: January 2005
5  Thank HoM_Aulendorf
Reviewed May 7, 2005

My wife, my 6-month old son and I stayed here for Red Sox spring training and were nervous after hearing some of the terrible reviews on here (we booked when all reviews were glowing). Basically, besides the neighbourhood (which isn't THAT bad, but I wouldn't go walking around after dark) the cottages around the lake were fantastic, all new furnishings, lots of room for the 3 of us. We would put our son to bed and sit on the porch watching the palm trees and listening to the water-dolphins. In our opinion, if these cottages were on or near the ocean, you would be paying about $350/night - what people on this site seem to forget is that you are only paying around $80! (One thing I didn't like, however, was that you had to pay the full balance for the week before you even saw the room). All-in-all, for what you get, that is an incredible deal. Really nice pool, available laundry facilities (which we didn't use) and nice rooms. Granted, the aforementioned neighbourhood doesn't have too much to do, but with a rented car, this makes for a great home base for a vacation.

3  Thank chodapopp
A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed March 29, 2005

This place is located in the seediest part of town, with very "sketchy" characters lumbering around. The website made it seem nice, but traveling with my Mom she was even too nervous to use the pool because of the area. 3 locks on all the doors, nowhere to eat(we drove for 45 minutes to find something halfway decent to eat) , no one can give you directions anywhere, no one knew where the ball park was which was amazing since once we finally found it it was it was only about 2 miles from the motel. All streets are one way and hard to get around. No where to eat except for KFC and Taco Bell. Except for Evans restaurant does make a good breakfast (across the street)Porches had dirty floors, and a Palmetto bug came in our room while I was sleeping I heard my mother screaming. Huge crack in door. Have to wait 5-10 minutes for hot water..very noisy street surrounding by industrial area, pawn shops, etc...shall I continue? But the Rooms were clean, nowhere to put anything in the bathroom, the pool was spotless even though there were people drinking beer and smoking over there. The landscaping was very pretty and they do allow pets. The office closes at 3 so if you need something that is a challenge. Our TV had big black bars covering most of the screen, we never figured that out. Staff was nice but could not offer much info about anything. Maybe when it was built in the 50's it was a nice area, but it's literally in the pits. We walked across the street to the community center to walk the dog but there where about 5 guys hanging aroung there drinking beer at 9:30 in the morning and trying to talk to us, we just did not feel safe or comfortable. Now these are the sacrifices us crazy Red Sox Fans will make!!!!! Ft. Myers should rethink building some safe, affordable hotels in the area for baseball fans!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2005
Reviewed March 24, 2005

I stayed at the Rock Lake in early March. The cute cottages around the lake are an incredible deal, and I found my stay there very relaxing. Every morning I would call the breakfast place (Evans?) for a to-go order and then had breakfast on the cottage porch looking over the little lake. We had no traffic noise issues, mostly we heard the soothing splash of the fountains. The staff was very friendly. I am looking forward to staying there again. Some of the less enthusiastic comments lead me to beleive they should have stayed in a more traditional, modern hotel. The Rock Lake is for those who don't mind some eccentricities inexchange for Old style Florida charm at an incredible price.

1  Thank nire878
Reviewed March 18, 2005

We stayed in the cottages on the other side of a Very busy three lane one way
road that leads into the downtown area. The room was clean and the bed was good. If you like to sleep past 5:30-6:00 am , the traffic noise is Very loud. Not a bad place to stay if you just need a place to sleep. The lake side of this motel with the cottages does have its charm.

1  Thank StlBob
Reviewed March 16, 2005

The area of town is seedy and the main road that it's on generated some serious traffic noise-the duplexes numbered 5 though 13 may be a little bit quieter. The room itself is decent but had an overwhelming odor of bleach upon arrival. The tile floor had a film of some sort on it that was extremely slippery if your feet were wet. If you walked on the cement porch floor in bare feet (this is Florida after all) your feet were black with dirt that you transferred to the bed if you were'nt careful. It looked like they never hose off the porch floor. There was no light over the bathroom sink so shaving and makeup issues were tricky. My final squawk was a real annoyance: you had to run the water for 5 minutes until there was any hot water and this was not a fluke-there was even a little sign advising you of this problem. A 5 minute wait just to wash your hands became real tired, real fast.

1  Thank flashover5