“False advertising at it's finest.”
Review of Rock Lake Resort

Rock Lake Resort
Ranked #37 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
New York City
“False advertising at it's finest.”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Forget the pictures in the ad. This "resort" has two sections, one as shown in the ad, and a seedy, $25, old hotel across the street. Our room was in the seedy part even though none of this was explained or even mentioned in the ad, or during booking.

In addition the wifi was not working in the room. Even when I went outside and sat on the curb it was spotty. The room itself was clean, but smelled like disinfectant. No carpent, a simple almost bare light fixture in the center of the room. This was a major disappointment. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank VicDelta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Other reviewers have described the property well. My husband and I found the atmosphere very relaxing and we really enjoyed feeding cracker bits to the fish and turtles. The cottages have been nicely updated and have everything needed to prepare simple meals. Heather, the manager, was very helpful, and I would recommend you have her show you the one-way street system on a map when you arrive. If you are travelling on I-75 I suggest you get off at Exit 141 which will put you on the correct direction on Palm Beach Blvd (turn south). The wi-fi reception can be spotty. We would definitely go back for another relaxing visit. It is an easy drive to Sanibel Island from here and an afternoon there was a highlight of our stay.

1 Thank MarieB33_10
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed here for one night with our kids, ages 7 and 9. The rooms are very modest, but the place is full of quirky Florida charm. The room looked out onto a man-made pond stocked with fish and turtles. Next to it is a swimming pool, small but clean. The kids spent a lot of the time looking at the fish while my husband and I relaxed on the porch. In the words of our daughter: This is the best hotel, ever!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank BethMcM1
Land of corn and pigs
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We found this resort on Tripadvisor and decided to give it a try. We were apprehensive prior to getting to our cabin, but found the whole experience really wonderful. Built in 1946 it has a step back in time atmosphere, but the rooms are updated, and exceptionally clean. There are nine duplex cabins each facing a small lake with fountains, which can be enjoyed on the walled patio of each unit. It is a bit hard to get to as it is on a one way, if you pass it it is difficult to get back to it, worth the effort if you do. Behind the cabins is a wooded area with a board walk wilderness trail and on one side a BBQ area with canoes and kayaks available free to paddle either up a stream or down and out on to the river. we highly recommend Rock Lake to those looking for a unique setting and experience, if you expect a Hilton or Ritz experience don't bother.

1 Thank VerticalTraveler
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Our first impression of Rock Lake was nice. The courtyard is attractive. The rooms are old, but care has been taken to make them pleasant and comfortable, lots of little touches. The bed was clean and comfortable. But things can go wrong anywhere, and that particular night those things rained on us. First, the WiFi didn't work. Then there was no hot water. When I tried to call on the room phone to report it, the phone was dead. Then the handle on the toilet broke. After a cold shower and all those random problems, we were pretty grumpy. I contacted the booking agent who had booked the room for us. They contacted Rock Lake, and we received a refund. I think that night was as abnormal for them as it was for us.

1 Thank Wanderingthrulife
Kingsland, Georgia
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Was in Ft.Myers under unpleasant circumstances. Rock Lake was soothing, fun, relaxing & much more. Kichenette, outdoor porch, fish, turtles--even an Osprey came by & grabbed his lunch! No fancy stuff--just pleasant staff, guests, suroundings. Can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: Stayed in several--all face lake.--probably enjoyed # 9 best--fish & turtles were drrawn to litt...
2 Thank Janice R
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I had to have an open mind when I stayed here. This place had good reviews on trip advisor so I decided I would give it a chance. I am so used to staying at various hotel chains that this seemed very different and something I would enjoy. I mainly booked this hotel because of the fact that they offered kayaking and canoeing access from the property.
I chose to stay in the units that have a patio facing the man-made lake that can be seen from the website. My son was very excited when we checked in. The staff was friendly and made us feel like a part of the "family". The only thing I did not like was the room had a strong smell from the cleaning solutions that they use. This was quickly solved by opening the patio doors. The room was a bit small and not up to date but thats what I expected when I booked this place so it was not a big deal to me. After a good night rest my son and I fed the fish and turtles in the man-made lake then went for a swim in the pool followed by kayaking and canoeing from the back of the property. This is really why I came here and to be bale to have some peace and quiet in an area that you would least expect was great. I think everyone should stay here and give it a try. Just remember to keep an open mind depending on where you are used to staying.

Room Tip: Stay by the man made lake. Room has a patio facing the lake.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family