“Would never return”

Ranked #6 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
Toronto, Canada
“Would never return”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed at the GrandStay Hotel and Suites, Fort Myers, Florida for one night prior to a flight home. I did not checkout when departing for my flight the next morning, as the big storm in the NE made numerous flight cancellations possible and indeed, my flight was cancelled. I returned to my room with no problem and made a reservation on Priceline for another night. That reservations was accepted and confirmed by PriceLine. Out of courtesy, I phoned the front desk to inform them and ask if I would be switching rooms. They informed my that they would not honour the PriceLine confirmed reservation. When I seemed shocked by this, someone that I was told was the 'manager/owner' came on the line to tell me that PriceLine should not have made the reservation and that if I wanted to stay, I had to upgrade at my expense to one of the three rooms they had remaining. While the upgrade amounted to only $24, I was again shocked that they would do this, especially when people were stranded due to flight cancelations. Talk about taking advantage. I informed that I would be checking out

While I was in the process of checking out, two more parties arrived with confirmed online reservations and were told that their reservations either did not exist or would not be honoured. Since a woman had arrived the night before with her son and been told the same thing, I am suspicious.

What was most galling, is that in the instance of the woman who arrived late at night with her son, when she asked plaintively what she was supposed to do, as she has no car, it was late and did not know here way around, they offered no assistance. At the very least, they could have offered her to use the comfortable lounge and wireless internet.

This management of this hotel clearly did not care about the plight of these people.

By contrast, upon hearing of my problem, PriceLine, via their agent booking.co, proactively called me and offered to do whatever they could to help. They made arrangements with the Floridian Hotel nearby and phoned that hotel to ensure that there was a spot. The staff at the Floridian were the polar opposite of the staff at the GrandStay. They welcomed me with open arms, checked in to make sure that everything was okay. The atmosphere there was professional, friendly and supportive.

The final straw with the GrandStay was when I went back to check if I had left my cellphone charger in the room. While I was waiting for them to check, a woman who was booked to stay there two weeks came down to ask if she could possibly have a glass made of glass, as opposed to the styrofoam cups in the bathroom. She was told no.

STAY AWAY. Go to the Floridian. It is spitting distance, but a world apart.

Room Tip: Don't Go.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Patti Y, Owner at Days Inn & Suites Fort Myers near JetBlue Park, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
The guest came to the Front Desk and asked our staff about staying another night, she was told that we did not have that type of room available for another night but that we did have another room available.
She decided to go to the intranet and try to book a room online. The GDS site she booked on overbooked that particular room type for our hotel for that given night. She was upset with us, however, we tried to accommodate her, but unable to keep her in the same room for another night as that room was not available. She did not want to move to another room type which was the only way we could accommodate her.
We apologized for the inconvenience, but did our best to accommodate her.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed February 2, 2013

One of the cleanest hotels I have stayed at, great service, comfy beds, traditional continental breakfast, nice decor, bath & body works soap, shampoo, etc. Good bang for the buck. Was surprised they had traditional shower heads for such a nice hotel. But I will take cleaniness over nice shower head anytime. Would definately go back

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Patti Y, Owner at Days Inn & Suites Fort Myers near JetBlue Park, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
We appreciate the review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. The GrandStay looks forward to your return visit and choosing the GrandStay Hotel & Suites here in Ft. Myers Florida.
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We selected the Grandstay for a weeklong visit to Fort Myers as it seemed to be centrally located for what we wanted to do, which was play golf. Our room was spacious, bed was very comfortable and, except for one night when there was a wedding party, it was very quiet and peaceful. The staff were very friendly. There is not much in terms of restaurants nearby, which means you have to drive for dinner, but The Gulf Coast Centre is an easy 5 minute drive away and it offers just about any kind of dining you would like. We were impressed with the WiFi service, and there is also a small business centre with 2 desktops available for guests. There is a small, heated, outdoor pool and a small fitness area. Continental breakfast each morning was a great way to get us started. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for those not seeking a five star experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the GrandStay for your lodging needs. We appreciate your business and look forward to see you again on your next stay to the area.
Lake Hamilton, Florida
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel very clean and friendly staff. The in house snacks are very expensive $1.50 for a pack of Lance crackers, but there is a CVS right next door and a Cracker Barrel on the other side so no problem there. The breakfast bar is fine with pretty good coffee, OJ & Apple juices and a nice selection of waffles and bagels or yogurt or cereals.

Close to I-75 easy on & off

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Our GrandStay staff thanks you for your nice comments. We do our best to maintain our property in order to compete and retain our guests.
We hope you will tell others about your stay with us so that they will make reservations with us when in the Ft. Myers area.
Thank you for taking the time to write the review.
Minnesota USA
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel is within several miles of the airport & the hotel shuttle was prompt to collect us. The check-in process was swift & very pleasant; within minutes, we were in our room armed with information of places to visit. We went next door to the car rental enterprise as the hotel is isolated; it is not located near any attractions that we could tell. With a car, it is easy to go downtown Ft. Meyers etc... Within less than a 5-minute walk is a cvs, gas station w/a subway sandwich shop & minimart. As for restaurants within a 3-5 minute walk, Fat Katz has beer, wine & fresh, flavorful food that is fantastic!!!!! They worked extremely well w/my need for gluten-free options. There is also a cracker barrel next door. The hotel's pool is nice. The rooms are good sized, very clean, extremely quiet & we loved the fridge & microwave.

Before booking the hotel, I called and talked to Steve, who was VERY friendly and VERY helpful. From the moment we were picked up at the airport until we checked out, every interaction with staff was positive, professional & VERY helpful. The area is safe. (we are two women.)

The breakfast has make-your-own waffles, the only hot item. Cold items included yogurt, hard-boiled eggs & fresh, frozen berries as well as bread for toast.

A car is necessary.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Patti Y, Owner at Days Inn & Suites Fort Myers near JetBlue Park, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
We realize that you have many choices for your lodging needs and are pleased that you chose the GrandStay of Fort Myers. Our staff continues to strive to make sure all of our guests have a comfortable stay and plesant experience with us.
We hope you will stay with us again when in the area and we thank you for your business.
California
Reviewed January 4, 2013

It is isolated, but we had a car and it worked out well for us. The room was large enough for my family of 5. The staff was helpful. The complementary breakfast was good with good variety. We did not use the shuttle service as we had a rental car.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank CaliforniaEnr
We appreciate that you had the opportunity to stay with us at the GrandStay here in Fort Myers Florida. We look forward to you returning to our hotel on your next visit. Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My trip was planned as a last minute getaway as I needed use a frequent flyer tic and just unwind before the holidays. I was met at the airport by a complimentary car service within 5 minutes of my call . I arrived at the hotel before 12noon which seemed to be no problem for staff, as they Checked me in no questions asked. My room was extremely quiet....I slept soundly the first night. However I woke up to a leak coming from the ceiling In the bathroom (it had rained night before.). Ken the GM and Abraham front desk immediately found me another room , an upgrade to a king suite. The breakfast staff was very courteous and kept the area clean and well stocked (even though there was a basketball tourney w/ many HS boys traipsing in and out). My flight does not leave until 9pm tomorrow and my request for a late checkout was granted. Thank you so much to all of you...especially Ken and Abraham. I am well rested and will be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Patti Y, Owner at Days Inn & Suites Fort Myers near JetBlue Park, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for choosing us for your lodging needs. We are very happy that you had a pleasant experience despite the issue with your room. We strive to accommodate all of our guests with over the top customer service, because without guests like yourselves we would not be here.
We hope to see you on your next trip to the Ft. Myers area.
I will pass on the nice compliments to the staff involved.
Thank you for your business!