“Creme Brulee, must have Creme Brulee”

Wisteria Tea Room & Cafe
Ranked #2 of 31 Coffee & Tea in Fort Myers
Cuisines: Cafe, American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Parking Available, Reservations, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lehigh Acres, Florida
“Creme Brulee, must have Creme Brulee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

What a lovely little place, especially if you love tea. The endless pot of tea is very well priced and you can try as many varieties of tea that you want.

All the cakes and sandwiches are delicious, but what was most outstanding is the cold strawberry/orange soup and the creme brulee. The soup is what an expert refer to as "scrumdilliumptious" and the creme brulee is sweet, but not too sweet, smooth and the top is just a little bit sugar crunchy

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Bookeating-Wench

Cape Coral, Florida, United States
“Lovely Afternoon Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I went for a late lunch mid week and we were pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere was lovely and food and tea were excellent. Would have liked to be seated somewhere other than the corner when the Tea Room was almost empty but we were still very pleased that we had taken the time to go there. We are planning on going back at least once a month.
The Quiche was very good as well as the scones, teas and cold strawberry soup. Great choice, defiantly going back.

• Visited July 2013
Ft.Myers
“Excellent Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I went here for afternoon tea with friends. They each had the Royal Tea which came with the most flavorful chilled strawberry soup. This had to be the best chilled soup I have ever experienced.
Other items on the beautiful three tiered tray were warm pimento cheese on toast rounds, cucumber on flower shaped bread, chicken salad in phyllo cups, quiche with artichoke, spinach & cheese, cranberry & orange scones, chocolate creme brulee with fresh raspberry, orange cheesecake with ginger snap crust, and mini hummingbird cakes with cream cheese frosting garnish.

For those of you that are not into the tea experience they offer a very nice selection of salads and sandwiches

• Visited July 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
“Beautiful. Wonderful. Endangered by its own success...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

There's nothing quite so delightful as a really good cream tea, and the cream tea tradition is realized in Wisteria as one unalloyed treasure of Southern history that celebrates ancient ties to England and the gracious hospitality of the warm lands. As a local, I feel sorrow when I read about customers to Wisteria being given the bum's rush, but that's something locals all know: since the high TripAdvisor ratings started pouring in, the secret is out, and "in season" (from late September to May) they are slammed, pretty much from opening to closing. It's great that they have succeeded, but they are at a critical juncture now and must make a decision: spawn or die.

What that means is, as their website already says, "Locations." Plural. If you click that link, there is still only one location, but to keep from really ticking off a lot of customers and ruining the wonderful experience that they worked so hard to create in the first place, they are going to have to open at least one, and possibly two other locations. Suggestions would be to head south along 41, around Bonita, and then again near the Naples border, because of the population density and diposable income in those areas. I believe to the North Sarasota is also ripe for a really good Southern-style Tea Room. The trick will be finding a funky Old Florida house with perhaps even a view of some kind (or make your own view by turning inward: a U-shaped building with a lovely central garden, big enough for plantings that screen one side from the other). Just please, no strip malls...!

I tried to arrange a birthday lunch in February (not Valentine's Day, either) for a friend, party of three, two days ahead, and was told that I should have called at least a week in advance. There is no question that they are still a quality place, and they already charge enough that to charge more would be sort of insane, so really the only option is to open new locations. The good news is, there should be no lack of willing investors! Even a bank would fall over itself offering these folks expansion money, given that they are literally drowning in clamoring customers!

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Catamariner
Fort Myers, Florida
“More concerned with packing in people for $$, than quality of experience for paying customers!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I would like to start my review by first stating that it is undeniable that the Wisteria Tea Room & Cafe has excellent tea selections, food, and charming atmosphere. They provide a venue not offered elsewhere locally. However, NONE of this makes up for the way my family and I were treated by this establishment in March of this year. My mother-in-law made reservations for afternoon tea for six to celebrate the women in our family with a mothers, grandmothers, and daughters day out. My mother-in-law is a woman of modest means and this was her opportunity to honor the women in our family with a pricey, but tasteful lunch. Our experience was terrible! Our reservations were for 1:00 p.m. We were not seated until just after 2:00 p.m. and 45-minutes into our lunch and first pots of tea "management" all but pushed us out the door at 3:00 p.m. in order to make room for a bridal shower party that was scheduled to take place at the restaurant. We were even encouraged to order dessert 'to-go', since there was no possible way to allow us to finish our meal and tea the way we would normally in any other restaurant or hospitality-driven establishment! There was NO apology or discount made for seating us over an hour late from our scheduled reservation, nor was there ANY offer to make up for the fact that we were put under a stringent time-restriction for our lunch and tea time (but not informed in advance when seated late at 2 p.m.) I have NEVER in my life been treated so poorly at such a "special occasion" restaurant. Our paying party of six were rushed out to make room for a "special" event that was poorly planned and managed by the restaurant for timing purposes without consideration for other reservations that day.The establishment had no problem ending our special occasion as quickly as possible to make room for the other party, not taking into consideration the lengths my mother-in-law had gone to in order to afford the occasion for our family. I realize the establishment was busy due to "season", however, reservation delays can be planned for by allowing additional time for parties seated late to finish their lunch. The timing of the special event after closing at 3:00 p.m. could have also been scheduled in such a way to allow patrons to finish their meals in a timely manner without being all but 'thrown' out of the restaurant. Yes, the food and tea is delicious. The atmosphere is darling. Our waitress was excellent (not her fault for what happened). But who can enjoy and appreciate ANY of this with the kind of service and treatment we received? I STRONGLY encourage anyone planning a special occasion at this establishment to take my family and I's experience into consideration, especially if you hope to get your hard-earned money's worth! Unacceptable in my book. Shame on you Wisteria Tea Room!

• Visited March 2013
10 Thank FloridaPatron
roofwaffe, Owner at Wisteria Tea Room & Cafe, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Florida Patron:
I am so sorry for your experience here at the Wisteria Tea Room. We strive to make people feel welcome and serve high quality food with exceptional service. With our limited hours it is very hard to do firm reservations for later in the day. When people have special events I encourage them to come in between 11:00 or 11:30 when I can guarantee seating because we are empty and I know how many tables I have available. When people come in later it is impossible to know when those who were seated first are going to leave. I do parties like that with fear and trepidation because I realize that people think of a "reservation" as a certain time. I am so sorry but when people decide to stay for another pot of tea and that is the table we planned for the next party it is nerve racking to say the least for us. I never like to disappoint our guests. Again, with having after hours parties it is difficult to know how to schedule. All in all those reasons don't matter because you felt rushed and it detracted from your special event. I would love to have a second chance to make another luncheon a memorable (good of course) one for your sweet mother-in-law. If you would feel comfortable contacting me I would love to provide lunch for you. Please forgive us for not making your event a special one!