“Terrible Service - Good Food”
Review of DaRuMa

DaRuMa
Ranked #144 of 868 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We went with a few friends on Fri night and the service was some of the worst we've ever experienced. The food came and we asked for utinsels and hot sauce and never saw the waitress again until the check came. When we asked why she didn't come back she just made light of the situation. It's obvious from other reviews that the manager and owner don't care about how the staff is trained or how the customer is treated. The food was good but we will not be back and would never recommend this establishment to anyone. I would rate this restaurant at a 1.5!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We went here for a late-night dinner after a very stressful day. The food was ok, the presentation was ok, the service was fast and polite.

For a Hibachi grill, it was not my favorite. The lights were a little too low to enjoy the chef's skillful cooking. The food was cooked and seasoned sufficiently, but nothing for which I'd return.

While it wasn't terrible, our favorite part of the dinner was the hot tea after the main course. An avid fan of Asian food may not enjoy their experience here very well but others not well seasoned in Asian cuisine may still find themselves having a very nice time.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Go here all the time, met my boyfriend here. Great food, great for couples, for family and for business dinners.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Generally speaking we liked the food but the presentation one would expect from a Japanese Steakhouse was sorely lacking as was the timing.

We arrived for the sunset specials and the table was pretty full when we got there. We waited for a while and the waitress came and took our drink and appetizer orders. The drinks came but the appetizers were so late that they came about the same time as the soup for the teppan meal. I felt as though I was playing catch up the rest of the night.

On the plus side the food was good. We both ordered the fried rice which seems a good choice. My husband had the shrimp and I had the steak. The salads came just after the apps so I let my husband have mine. It didn't look all that great any way.

For the rest of the food, the shrimp, steak and fried rice were good.

What was lacking was the timing and presentation. Simply speaking, there was no presentation. This was more upsetting since there was a wide eyed Asian boy at the table sharing a meal with his father who was waiting for something to share. Once in a while, the cook would say something like, are you happy, but that is pretty meaningless.

It seemed like the chef was preparing a meal in his kitchen alone. However part of the steakhouse routine is to entertain and he forgot or was not allowed the time for the entertainment. I say this because I am not sure it was his fault. It seemed that he might have been the only person cooking and was not given enough time to entertain or it was not made clear that was he should to this.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

In our perpetual search for a good Asian-style restaurant, we tried Da Ru Ma's regular menu (not the hibachi room). The food was very good and the service was excellent. We definitely will return. A little pricey, but worth it.