“Best german food and service”

Austrian-German Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 872 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Cuisines: Austrian, German
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Helmut (chef) has been indulging their guests since many years until August 31st 2017. Time has come to retire and transfer the restaurant to young and engaged people, Nicole and Dieter who get a new approach to manage the restaurant with ideas. I thank all friends, guests and relatives for their support. My main goals have always been: make guests feel at home, let them enjoy fine food and make them having a good time. This will be also the intention of Nicole and Dieter from Germany. We are located in the Courtyard of the Royal Palm Square. Every 2nd Saturday of the month is an event: German-Night with a big buffet.
Reviewed December 2, 2012

First thing first, if you love German food then this is your place. Our friends recommended it us and after our first time, I can tell you that we are now going to be regulars. The place is hard to find but I assure you it will absolutely be worth it. Its a small but beautiful restaurant and the smell as you walk in is to die for. It was busy for a wednesday night, we were greeted by a very charming young man named chris, he sat us and informed us of the daily specials, they sounded delicious but we came there for the famous schnitzels he heard so much about. Chris was the only server there and even with a full house he gave us perfect service. After recommending a great wine for my wife and a beer for me (they don't carry american beer, but the german beer is better!) he also recommended Beef tartar which my wife loves, so we ordered it. Personally I don't eat tartar so it was all for her. She could not stop talking about how the presentation of the tartar was (which was beautiful) and how awesome it was. We asked Chris what schnitzels were popular. After explaining them, we both settled for the Black forrest schnitzel... BEST THING WE HAVE EVER HAD!!!!!!!! When we were all done, we were STUFFED, but after Chris explained about their homemade famous apple strudel, we just had to have one and thank god we did. Between the most amazing service Chris provided and amazing food the chef put out, this is for sure our new favorite place to eat.

1  Thank robert s

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Wonderful, fresh, and even more than we expected. One of the best German restaurants ever. Strudel is to die for. Five of us went and everyone enjoyed their meal, including my German friend who is a great cook herself.

AG-Restaurant, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Austrian-German Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2012

We say thank you and we are very happy that you enjoyed it.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Overall, the restaurant meal was evidently good. The others in my party enjoyed their meals. Me, not at all - and I had to pay for it! Here's what you need to know: If the server or kitchen makes an error with your order, there are absolutely no returns or changes made.

I asked the server about the ingredients in one of the schnitzel dishes and if one of the ingredients could be omitted. He assured me that leaving out the ingredient would not be a problem at all and noted it when he wrote it down.

Our dishes arrive and within one or two bites, I notice the ingredient was indeed in the schnitzel. I politely noted this to the server who immediately got a look of terror in his face! I then asked if it would be possible to re-do the dish. He adamantly said, "No. Sorry. She (Helga) will absolutely not take dishes back." End of discussion and he walks away. I sit there stunned. I shouldn't have been because I then learned that this rigid refusal to please a customer may happen with some frequency at this restaurant.

Someone in our dining party said they weren't surprised because on a previous visit, Helga make a big scene (shouting and banging stuff in the kitchen) which embarassed a customer at another table because they sent back their meal due to a mix-up in the side dish. Now I know why the server had an immediate look of terror in his face - evidently the chef is all smiles until someone has the audacity to ask for the correction of a mistake. No tolerance whatsoever for the customer in this equation. This kitchen is never wrong!

So. There I sat with an expensive dish in front of me which went uneaten. Had I known that THEIR mistake would be costing ME, I would have ordered something else in the first place. When the staff assures you that a minor ingredient omission is "no problem" and you get it anyway, and are then expected to eat it as-is and pay for it, that is a big zero in my book.

The only reason I didn't give this place a zero is because the others in the party enjoyed their meals. I will say the deserts are absolutely delicious. The only problem is since I never had a meal to begin with, anything would have tasted good at that point!

When you consider that the average worker in this town probably had to work for two to three hours to be able to afford one of these meals, that is a real shame. Imagine this being a special night out, and get treated this way! This is definitely not a place for families, kids or anyone who may need an adjustment on an ingredient or has any kind of food allergy. Be forewarned - you will NOT be accommodated!

I thought it was important for potential diners to understand this so that you are not surprised. Evidently Helga dishes it up only one way - her way. If you don't like it, tough. But you will pay for it before they let the door hit you on the way out!

5  Thank TwoTravelersToG... A
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Overall, the restaurant meal was evidently good. The others in my party enjoyed their meals. Me, not at all - and I had to pay for it! Here's what you need to know: If the server or kitchen makes an error in your order, there are absolutely no returns or changes made.

I asked the server about the ingredients in one of the schnitzel dishes and if one of the ingredients could be omitted. He assured me that leaving out the ingredient would not be a problem at all.

Our dishes arrive and within one or two bites, I notice the ingredient was indeed in the schnitzel. I politely noted this to the server, who immediately got a look of terror in his face. I then asked if it would be possible to re-do the dish. He adamantly said, "No. Sorry. She (Helga) will absolutely not take dishes back." End of discussion and he walks away. I sit there stunned.

One of the others in our dining party said on a previous visit, she indeed saw Helga make a big scene and embarass another customer because they wanted to send back their meal due to a mix-up in the side dish. Now I know why the server had an immediate look of terror in his face - evidently the chef is all smiles until someone has the audacity to ask for a correction of a mistake. No tolerance whatsoever for the customer in this equation. This kitchen is never wrong!

So. There I sat with an expensive dish in front of me which went uneaten. Had I known that THEIR mistake would be costing ME, I would have ordered something else in the first place. When the staff assures you that a minor ingredient omission is "no problem" and you get it anyway and are then expected to eat it as it and pay for it, that is a big zero in my book.

The only reason I didn't give this place a zero is because the others in the party enjoyed their meals. I would say the deserts are absolutely delicious. The only problem is since I never had a meal to begin with, anything would have tasted good at that point!

When you consider that the average worker in this town probably had to work for two to three hours to be able to afford one of these meals, that is a real shame. Definitely not a place for families, kids or anyone who may need an adjustment on an ingredient.

I thought it was important for other potential diners to understand this so that you are not surprised. If someone has food allergies, or needs any kind of adjustment to a meal order, don't count on it. Evidently Helga dishes it up one way - her way. If you don't like it, tough.

3  Thank TwoTravelersToG... A
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We heard about this restaurant back in NY as a "MUST RESTAURANT TO EAT IN". First you must use GPS or a destination map. It is in the Royal Palms Plaza..so go in any entrance you can find,other wise you will be circling the area due to one way traffic.
When we arrived for Lunch the restaurant was decorated for Oktoberfest with music, outside tables decorated with white table clothes and flowers. As we stepped inside it reminded me of fine old world charm restaurants we frequented in Vienna Austria.The menu had many entrees where decisions were very difficult due to the fact that we liked all of them. The greeter/waiter was very attentive and answered all of our gastronomical questions. After a good dark German Beer we ordered our entree that included soup. The Soup was "WOW"..dark, spicy and delicious. The sauerbraten with pickle cabbage, dumpling and a brown wine sauce was " to die 10 times for". The last time i tasted Sauerbraten this good was in Munich Germany. We ended the meal with a large piece of home made apple strudel made by Helga.(Helmut & Helga own the restaurant)

Helmut and Helga came over and thanked us for patronizing the restaurant. We told them just how delicious their food tasted and how delightful/ relaxing their restaurant is.
If i lived in Ft. Myers i would eat at the Austrian-German restaurant 2 times a week.
As for the Cost, as they say in Brooklyn.... "Forget-about-it"..(Very inexpensive)