“Challanges for a great Restaurant”

Austrian-German Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 868 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Cuisines: Austrian, German
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Description: Helmut (chef) has been indulging their guests since many years until August 31st 2017. Time has come to retire and transfer the restaurant to young and engaged people, Nicole and Dieter who get a new approach to manage the restaurant with ideas. I thank all friends, guests and relatives for their support. My main goals have always been: make guests feel at home, let them enjoy fine food and make them having a good time. This will be also the intention of Nicole and Dieter from Germany. We are located in the Courtyard of the Royal Palm Square. Every 2nd Saturday of the month is an event: German-Night with a big buffet.
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The first and rather formidable challange is finding this gem. Only 5 miles from my hotel, it took me nearly 1.5 hrs to locate it. It is nestled in the heart (literally) of the Royal Palms Plaza and the fact that Colonial is limited access doesn't help. Once found I entered to find a smiley lady just putting out 3- three foot freshly baked strudels. I was ready to skip dinner and go straight for desert. The Aroma was fab... Now, here is the thing. It was a Tuesday night at 5:45 pm and raining. The restaurant has only about 15 tables inside and they are mostly small... great for intamacy but for crowds...not so much. There are maybe 20 tables outside, but, it's Florida, not the Bavarian Alps..you know humidity at 100 percent and 85 degrees...Did I mention it was monsooning...

I have read the other mixed reviews and in defense of this establishment, I think some things need to be clarified... In Europe, dinner is an event. If you want McDougles and a 5 minute burger then this ain't the place for you. If you want a slow, delicious, freshly well prepared dining experience that will last every bit of 2 plus hours... Come on down.

From that first wiff of strudel, I was hooked. I was taken to a lovely corner table, newspaper in hand and immediately asked about a choice of beverage. German Beer of course. Not one with metrics, I had a 1 liter mug... Nuff Said. It was creamy with a little bite but I have never had better and kept returning to the bucket. I placed my order of the Butcher Block, ( a mixture of pork tenderloin & gravy, Sauerbraten, several different wursts and a dumpling with Kraut and with a salad) Others started to come in and the salad arrived in about 20 minutes. Sipped the beer, savored the salad with red cabbage, munched on the great dark bread and read the paper.. all terriffic. Dinner arrived about 40 minutes later and the place was now full. I delighted in everything they brought and 40 minutes later I had worked my way to a cleaned plate, literally... Now, I am not much for desert, especially after a monsterous meal, buttttt... well, the strudel, with fresh whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce... My taste buds were estatic.

In closing let me say this. Delicious fresh food, properlyprepared takes both time and patience. If you want to experience dinner, go early or during the week and you will experience German Nirvana. If you are more the impatient type.. Head for Burger doodle.. For my part, I'll be back.

2  Thank John D

Reviewed October 7, 2012

In fairness it was the Octoberfest Buffet outside, not regular served kitchen menu.
It was cold, soggy, tasteless for the most part and very disappointing.
Disappointing at best.

1  Thank bwoycke
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We went for their seasonal buffet and the food was delicious. We are going back again this weekend. If you like traditional German food you will not be disappointed in this one. The service leaves a lot to be desired. They didn't have enough staff to clear dirty dishes from the tables.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have been to this restaurant several times. The food has always been excellent. The service leaves a lot to be desired. The service has always been slow, and 2+ hours seems to be normal for a meal. Our last visit (It will be our last unless they get their act together) was a disaster. We had a reservation for 7PM and arrived about 6:55. We were told that we would be seated shortly. About 7:15 they told us which table would be ours, and that the party there was paying the bill. At 7:35 another party was seated at that table. When we complained they told us that they had made a mistake, and offered to seat us (party of 4) at a table for 8. Unfortunately, the group waiting for the table for 8 was right there, and wanted to be seated. At this point the wait for a table would have been another half hour or more so we left. It turned out that it was a good thing that we left, as some other people that we knew were also there. They had been seated at about 7:15, and left without being served at 9:00.

I believe that the main problem is that they do not want to turn away customers, and take more reservations than they can handle.

2  Thank Chuck B
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Wondeful! My wife and I enjoyed our meals which were prepared fresh and were generous portions. The apple stroddle was excellent.

This is a hidden gem worth finding.