“Fine German dining in sunny Ft. Myers”

Austrian-German Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 864 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Cuisines: Austrian, German
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Description: Helmut (chef) has been indulging their guests since 30 years. His main goals are: make guests feel at home, let them enjoy fine food and make them having a good time. Therefore there's Inside and Outside seating available. Since 2008, we serve original Austrian and German dishes. Plus a selection of regional specialties. We are located in the Courtyard of the Royal Palm Square. Every 2nd saturday of the month: German-Night with a big buffet.
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Having dined here several times, my husband and I have not been disappointed. The first time, the host was gracious enough to seat us even without a reservation. The weiner schnitzel (veal) is prepared and cooked to perfection. I like it with a side order of their delicious mushrooms and the waiter/waitress always oblige. The dumpling reminds me of how my mom used to cook it and the light sauce (gravy) is delicious. The red cabbage is to die for and the basket of bread holds several different grains and is crusty and chewy as they should be! They serve a fine dry Reisling and my husband enjoyes their German beer in tall pilsner glasses. When we feel we can partake of a few more bites, we'll order the apple strudel which is mouth-watering good. The coffee is just right. We get a kick out of hearing the veal being pounded as we dine. It is not an intrusion and makes us feel like we're back in Germany.
On another occasion, a small suckling pig had been roasted for a private party and we were told that we could order an entree with the sliced roasted pig. It was quite a sight to see this whole pig on a platter being whisked out into the outdoor portion of the restaurant! The restaurant is quite lively; yes, sometimes one has to wait a bit longer, but the wait is well worth it. What a great place!

1  Thank Lillette
There are newer reviews for Austrian-German Restaurant

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Wow! What a find! This restaurant is located in the rear of an old strip mall but as soon as we walked in, we knew this had to be the right place as all the patrons were speaking German. We were a party of three so we shared. Hungarian green pea (bean) soup came with the entree. I could have made a meal on that alone. Then came the beef tartare. The best I've ever had. My entree was Beef Tafelspitz which came with applesauce and a horseradish sauce. We ordered spaetzle and red cabbage. Outstanding. My mother's wiener schnitzel was perfect. House made apple strudel ended a perfect meal. Our waiter Marko was from Switzerland. Great service and so cute!

Reviewed April 5, 2012

The service was probably a little slower than expected but that's probably because the OWNER (Helmut) is tirelessly running around waiting on most of the tables himself to make sure that everything was just so and that the patrons were happy. No complaints here. My wife and I were treated to a complimentary beverage to try and the food was delicious! We even got an unexpected soup appetizer that was not in the menu. We had the Black Forest and Hungarian Schnitzel and for dessert the Apple Strudel with real whipped cream and chocolate drizzle! The food was excellent and real German home-made.
Don't miss this restaurant if you are in Fort Myers, you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed March 24, 2012

Based on good reviews we took 12 friends to this restaurant after cocktails at our new condo. Each of us had a different entree, including their schnitzel specialties, and every single one of us was disappointed. The meat was chewy and the coating unappetizing. The consensus was that no one would return.

5  Thank scfisherpa
AG-Restaurant, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Austrian-German Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

We are sorry if you have been not satisfied with our performance. We always
try to give our best.
It although would have been helpful if you had voiced your criticism right
away to give us the opportunity to respond directly.
We hope you will give us another chance, so that also you can be convinced
of our good food.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

The schnitzel is outstanding. Offered in 7-8 varieties. Black forest is my favorite, but Swiss is a close second.