“Convenient, good value, friendly hotel”
Review of Edison at Midtown

Edison at Midtown
Ranked #24 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
Virginia
“Convenient, good value, friendly hotel”
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Spent five nights here while preparing to move into a new condominium in Ft. Myers, our first extended visit to our "new home". Found this hotel to be a good value, comfortable, with updated bedding and extremely nice and helpful staff. As member of Priority Club treated especially well. Problem with heating unit the first night (room should have been blocked, since the problem was already reported), but it was fixed quickly the next day after a cold night, housekeeping service was the only complaint I have, missed the room entirely one day. I would skip the restaurant, others better in the area. Dunkin Donuts next store a definite plus, as is central location.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2010

We were not impressed at all by the location of this Holiday Inn, I found the area intimidating and rather seedy. Inside the hotel itself was fine, the room comfortable, no complaints there but there was a rather unpleasant smell in the corridor outside, a bit like ammonia, it was also rather dark and dismal, couldn't wait to get into the room which did not smell fortunately. Fort Myers itself was also a bit of a let down. We arrived on Saturday afternoon and downtown was more or less deserted, which was rather strange, I don't know if was the time of year or whether it's always like that at the weekend. The few streets of the Historic quarter were quite interesting but from what we could see there wasn't much nightlife, I think you need to go to the beach for that but that was a good 25 minute drive away, not good if you want to have a drink. We ate at the Palms twice and found the food and service excellent, it was also really good value for money. It was probably the best thing about our stay and meant that we didn't have to go outside the hotel! We were actually booked in for 3 nights but checked out after 2.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Brandon, Florida
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I stay here quite often when I travel to Ft. Myers for business. The staff there is as friendly, if not moreso, than you would expect from a Holiday Inn staff. Tiffanee at the front desk is a sweet, polite & accomodating hostess. The only bad things about the hotel is that (as other reviews state) its not in the best part of town... but it's not that bad... and the t.v.'s are a little small - but other than that... it really is a decent place to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank jfrink74
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We Stayed 3 days at the Holiday inn downtown historical district in fort myers and it was the best vacation I had in a long time. The service was great from check in. At check in they gave us information about the accomadations and the palms restaurant. The palms was great. I enjoyed every bite. The prices was so economical with specials everyday. The staff was so friendly and the place was very clean. We went during low season and the staff treated us like royality. It was a short trip for a wedding put it turned out to be a great get away. Loved that place!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank shaunaj2002
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 26, 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel while in Ft. Myers, FL. for a relatives wedding. Not only was the hotel clean and comfortable, but the staff were awesome. They were welcoming, friendly and took care of all our needs from the day we checked in until the day we checked out. I also have to compliment the manager, staff and especially the chef at the Palms Restaurant located in the hotel. The service was excellent and the food was wonderful. I have stayed at numerous hotels before but this is the first time that I felt the need to write a review. I want everyone to know that this hotel deserves to be recognized and everyone should experience a great hotel stay like we did. We definately are looking forward to staying here again in the future.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Luvtotravel044
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 24, 2010

First, let's start off with Don at the front desk. As soon as we arrived (Friday, Sept 17, 2010), we were treated wonderfully. Don, one of the front desk managers, provided us with delicious bottles of cold water (without us asking) and when we inquired about a board out in the lobby with the day's events, he graciously gave us a run down. Holiday Inn Fort Myers Downtown Historic was packed with surprises...from the outside..the place is quaint and quiet..the inside is beautiful and modern, decorated not only with lovely furniture pieces, but with gorgeous art work that we were told the hotel sponsors...they will show the work of various artists; at least two at a time, have an art show and the paintings/photo work is hung all about the lobby and The Palm, yet another diamond in the ruff..the hotel's sexybeautiful restaurant/bar/lounge. So, upon checking in, the spoiling started there and didn't stop until we were checking out. Don alerted the restaurant staff that we would be dining at The Palm that evening and advised Mr. Fred, our chef (from New 'Orlins) to our preference of having the hot wings special that was posted on the board in the lobby, but that was no longer a special. Just for us, Mr. Fred whipped somethin' fierce - hot wings with cool ranch and blue cheese dressings, and the most delicious, flaky fresh fried fish with chips you've ever tasted!

Oh, I could go on and on..it felt like the three days spent at this lovely Holiday Inn was more like 2 weeks! Our Sunday was filled with complete UTOPIA as we headed down to the blue water pool for some fun first thing that morning. Later that evening, we were looking forward to Karaoke Night at The Palm, but before that started, we had a great dinner and appetizers and our host at The Palm, Albert, who was also our bartender the night before, we cannot compliment enough. He had a knack for making us feel like we were the only ones at The Palm, and it worked..good strong drinks, tasty offerings..(not to mention the key lime pie and bananas foster)..and then we got ready for DJ Sonny's Karaoke...well, well, well..DJ Sonny was a master at his craft..not only did he have like every song we requested (Fever, Sarah Smile, How could I live without You?, Love is a Battlefield, Three Little Birds, etc), he had a great voice on him and at the end of the night, which was probably the most fun I've had in a long time with just a small excited group of us..he surprised us with a Keith Sweat pick.."Nobody." We did the girl's part and DJ Sonny imitated a mean Keith Sweat..blue-eyed soul is what they call it. Thank you DJ Sonny and the Boston Red Sox fans..thank goodness we were in neutral territory..lol..but seriously, it was a fabulous time! P.S. Albert..you've got a voice on you!! Good pick on that KC and the Sunshine Band!

Rhonda, the new waitress that took good care of us on Friday, the 17th, when we were tired and hungry..lady, you were amazing! You just picked right up and handled everything like you had always been at The Palm! Thank you for your excellent service!

We also wanted to mention all of the young ladies at the front desk from the day we arrived (9/17) until the day we left (9/20) who were so professional and genuinely helpful - thank you all as well for making our visit so special. I have to confess that we did not want to leave! If we could've transported our family members from NY for at least another week at the Downtown Historic and it would have been as easy as a snap or nose wiggle, we would have done just that.

Joussaint, the custodial associate was the best. Whilst we were at the pool, although there was a receiving bin for the wet towels, he took it upon himself to walk around and collect them from each of us, providing at the same time, clean, warm towels. Thank you, Joussaint!

If I have forgotten anyone, it is not intentional! You were all appreciated and now that we know that Royal Car Service also offers wonderful 1-day pkgs to Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel Islands, etc for only $170 (for 8 hours - up to 7 ppl..one price), oh, we will be coming back to the Downtown Historic very soon.

We heard the night before we were slated to leave, that you guys were raving about us..well, the feeling was mutual and just as much as you enjoyed us, we enjoyed our time spent at your establishment..a request? Please don't forget us, okay? We'll be back!

Cheers -

Kim Laing-Reyes and Family

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank KLaingRey
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed September 11, 2010

I read the reviews of this place the day before checking in. It had many reviews of ghetto neighborhood, people concerned about their personal safety, and questionable accommodations.

I found the place very easy to find on US-41,it was staffed with extremely friendly employees, comfortable room complete with over stuffed pillows. The whole hotel was clean from top to bottom.

My only critique was I checked in at 8:00 pm and headed to the Cafe' / bar for something to eat. I was told when I walked in the kitchen was closing in 5 minutes - this was at 8:15pm. I sat at the bar, was told what they did NOT have that was on the menu - ordred something anyway. My food arrived 5 minutes after I ordered it - a little on the pricey side, but the only thing available in the way of close-by restaraunts at the time.

At 9:00 pm I was told they were closing. A bar? In Florida that closes at 9:00 PM ?? Unheard of !!

There is NO Smoking in ANY of the rooms ! They have signs posted everywhere that a $250 cleaning charge will be imposed if they suspect somoene has been smoking in any of the rooms. Smokers beware !

The 24 hour Dunkin Donuts adjacent to the parking lot was a great convenience. If you are an early riser, though and want to walk in for coffee at 5:15 AM you will find the doors locked. I had to walk back to my vehicle, drive around the block to get into the drive through lane and ordered my coffee - which I drank in the parking lot of the hotel 25 feet away.

Would I stay there again? Definately yes. In 2 weeks when I return as a matter of fact.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Myers
Hotel Indigo Fort Myers River District
Legacy Harbour Hotel & Suites
Legacy Harbour Hotel & Suites
#29 of 59 in Fort Myers
Best Western Fort Myers Inn & Suites
Best Western Fort Myers Waterfront
Best Western Fort Myers Waterfro...
#1 of 4 in North Fort Myers
Red Roof Inn Fort Myers
Red Roof Inn Fort Myers
#38 of 59 in Fort Myers
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers - Colonial Blvd

Been to Edison at Midtown? Share your experiences!