“Best Restaurant on the West Coast”
Review of Edison at Midtown

Edison at Midtown
Ranked #24 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
Montrose
“Best Restaurant on the West Coast”
Reviewed May 21, 2008

Good location, across from Red Sox summer training, close to historic downtown. Hotel and rooms all very good, but really outstanding is the newly taken over Char restaurant on site. Menu has platters where you choose from 3 oz - 5 oz portions of pork, steak, fish etc. then choose rice, potatoes etc. and from about 20 different dips. Special of fillet mignon stuffed with crab was delicious. Absolutely most outstanding desert in the US was chocolate tulip zabaglione with fruit - do not miss this if you are within 100 miles of Fort Myers!

• Liked — The Char restaurant
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JstarkScotland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Port St. Lucie, FL
Reviewed April 9, 2008

We stayed here as part of a Red Sox Spring Training package in March 2008. The biggest pro of this hotel is that you are literally only 2 short walking blocks away from the City of Palms park. We loved that we could just walk to the games.

There is a Dunkin Donuts on site, which is very convenient, as well as a CVS store next door.

The hotel itself is a short drive away from the actual historic district, but I guess you could walk there if you wanted.

The hotel is nice, the rooms pretty average and standard, and the pool area is ok, too.

Overall, while nothing overall impressed us, we were happy with our stay, and there wasn't anything negative about our experience there at all.

If we were to come back for Spring Training again, we'd definitely stay here again, if only for it's proximity to the park.

• Liked — The proximity to City of Palms Park
  • Disliked — The surrounding area of US 41, too congested
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2008

This Holiday Inn opened only last October and everything is still pristine. However, we felt a bit cheated by the term 'Historic' in its title. It may be within walking distance of the Edison-Ford Museum, but all the other attractions of historic Fort Myers are a good 10 minutes drive away. The rate was $189, excluding breakfast. There are better value options just down the US41.

• Liked — Room quality
  • Disliked — The fact we could not walk to the Historic district
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
mn
Reviewed December 28, 2007

I don’t know what the other reviewers are thinking. I would NEVER stay at this hotel again. If you check in (I don’t recommend it) don’t leave the hotel after dark. Lots of street people everywhere, not safe to walk. Behind the hotel and on adjacent streets very low income housing and rehab facilities. I guess the review that said you get what you pay for is correct.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank MnTvlman
Brno, Czech Republic
Reviewed October 8, 2007

I came to Florida to visit my friends and when I arrived to Holiday Inn Downtown Historic District I was very suprised. The hotel reminded me of modern European hotel. The front desk girls were young and energetic, which made my check in pleasant.
Rooms were clean and comfortable. I definetly enjoyed the flat screen TV. Dinner at Char was very enjoyable and the staff was awesome. I really liked the concept of the restaurant, totaly different from any hotel restaurant.
I strongly recomend this hotel and when I come back to Florida, I will only stay here.
Jiri K.

• Liked — Comfortable clean rooms and friendly staff.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kovos
Missouri
Reviewed September 18, 2007

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who has a need to stay in the Ft. Myers area particularly within the downtown area.
Its location is just around the corner from the historic downtown district, and for those baseball fans like myself a short walk to the Boston Red Sox training facility.
When I made my reservation directly to the hotel I was informed they just recently completed a renovation of the hotel, and it was obvious as soon as you entered the main foyer.
The hotel lobby had an inviting open atmosphere that opened up out onto the pool area.
The front desk staff was extremely friendly and courteous, which in my travels normally dictates how the remainder of your stay will play out.
The rooms were clean plus the fact the all the furnishings were new.
I took a cab from the airport to the hotel so I did not have a car to get around, but they had a shuttle service available whenever I needed to get around the local area.
There are plenty of good restaurants in the downtown Historic District to eat at, and they have an awesome restaurant that's attached to the hotel so you don't have to leave the property.
During my stay they were close to completing a Dunkin Donuts on their property which should be open sometime soon.
If you are doing business in the downtown Ft. Myers or local area I would highly recommend this hotel for your next stop in Ft. Myers.
I can't wait until March of next year when spring training baseball starts and I can walk to the ballpark.
My thanks to all the staff for making my stay enjoyable and making me feel like one of the family.
Skippy.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No opinion
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Skippyboe
Not important
Reviewed September 7, 2007

Over all experience was good. Nice front desk staff very helpful and genuine. Ron the person working the late shift was very accommodating. Hotel looks nice recently renovated. Some of the rooms were renovated not all of them. So make sure you ask for a renovated room. The pool is okay no Jacuzzi. My first day after checking in a young woman not uniformed came out of one of the offices. She had an interesting accent from Europe I believe. I wish I remembered her name because as helpful as she tried to be I ended up avoiding her for the two nights I was there. At first she seemed very helpful with a few questions I had about the area but unfortunately her personality was dry and fake. Like if she was helping me because someone had told her to. She was very loud and lacked professionalism. Her street type talk reminded me of a bartender back home. I guess if you are trying to look like a four star hotel you should try to hire people that have a bit of more touch with people.

• Liked — The restaurant
  • Disliked — staff additude
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Red Roof Inn Fort Myers
Red Roof Inn Fort Myers
#38 of 59 in Fort Myers
Best Western Fort Myers Waterfront
Best Western Fort Myers Waterfro...
#1 of 4 in North Fort Myers
Best Western Fort Myers Inn & Suites

Been to Edison at Midtown? Share your experiences!