“Very nice hotel for a four nights stay.”

Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway
Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Fort Myers
Patterson, California
“Very nice hotel for a four nights stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2010

The staff at this hotel are the true example of what customer service is all about.

3 Thank Cocojazz
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, December 7, 2010
We love that you enjoyed your stay and found our team to be so helpful! We will be sure to share your comments with the staff. We hope you found everything that you need for your four day trip to Fort Myers and had the opportunity to take advantage of the kitchen in your suite and the hotels heated pool. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Fort Myers and the beaches of Sanibel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Hamden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

While it was a little hard to find, tucked away and not visible from the road, Candlewood Suites was a comfortable and affordable way to spend a month in Florida. The staff was cheerful, friendly, and always willing to help. The room was efficiently laid out, with a kitchenette, desk and sleeping area. We loved the free laundry - very helpful for an extended stay. The pool could have been a bit warmer for my spouses taste, but I enjoyed a swim almost every day. There is a small gym with treadmills, bike, elliptical and weith machine, but it could use a fan. We would definitely stay again.

3 Thank bbudnick
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, November 22, 2010
Greetings & Thank You for submitted this review! We are so happy you chose our new Candlewood Suites to be your home away from home and that you found us to be comfortable and affordable. Our staff is cheerful and friendly and they will love reading your comments. Designed with guests just like you in mind, we cater to the needs of extended stay guests with convenient amenitites like full kitchens and free laundry. We hope to welcome you back again and again!
dade city Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

Carti, at the front desk was so very helpful,with all are needs. The rooms very clean and great for a long weekend. Keep up the good work. This stay has made us want to seek out other Candlewood suites on our business trips.

3 Thank MarilyndadecityFl
We think you are just as wonderful too and thank you for the 5 Star rating! It is great that your stay at our Candlewood Suites has you seeking other Candlewoods to accommodate your travel needs. Please keep in mind that we are in the Holiday Inn family of hotels and you can earn Priority Club Points & Rewards with every stay! We value our Priority Club members and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the need for a long weekend get away!
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

Clean, Fresh, and new are words that come to mind to describe the hotel itself, the staff were friendly helpful, and efficient. In addition to our lovely room, I enjoyed the workout room and the complimentary dvds and free laundrymat.
There was one irritating experience: one time when we used the elevator, as soon as the doors closed we realized that the elevaor had just been cleaned with a very strong smelling disinfectant (the floor was still damp). We tried not to breath on the ride down four floors - it was an unpleasant experience.

3 Thank GrannyGeo
Thank you for your cheerful comments and we are happy that you felt right at home while staying at our new Candlewood Suites! We do try to maintain a very clean and well kept property and we're sorry your elevator experience was unpleasant.
The free guest laundry and free dvd movie lending do add a nice touch when traveling and we are glad you appreciated it. We hope you got to enjoy a dip in the pool or a bbq dinner under the gazebo while you were here as well. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back very soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

October 1, 2010
Our stay at the Candlewood Suites Fort Myers-Sanibel location was awesome. My eleven year old daughter really enjoyed the free movies and the pool! Candlewood is conviently located near Sanibel Island, which was a plus. The hotel room was really nice and clean. We especially loved the full size refrigerator and cook top in the room. I must say the bathroom toiletries’ were a nice touch. Candlewood offers free laundry services and the downstairs living room with the computer and big screen television was nice to relax in while waiting for our laundry. The downtown Fort Myers area is just a hop and a skip from the Candlewood suite if you are interested in doing some sightseeing! The bed was heavenly in our room and we will be sure to book this hotel next time we want another Sanibel Island excursion!

We Luv Seashells

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank shellsareus
Your comments are very much appreciated and we are so happy you got to take advantage of all the free conveniences we have! We know that when traveling with children having access to things like free laundry, movies and a clean comfortable suite can really make your vacation. Our Candlewood Suites is the perfect location for a family beach vacation, you will be minutes to the beach but a deep breath away when the day is over and you want to enjoy peace and quiet in your own suite. Perhaps the next time you join us in Fort Myers you can attend the Sandsculpting Festival on Fort Myers Beach or take in Ding Darling Days on Sanibel Island. Thank you again for your great review and for being out guest!
carrickfergus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

I hope this comes across as a reasonably positive review but one which injects a note of realism. I had booked another hotel in Fort Myers but because of recommendation by someone at a previous hotel and the outstanding reviews for this one I changed it and booked this Hotel for 5 days. I asked for an easy access bath/grab rail for slight mobility problems and they kindly provided a disabled access room.

On arrival I was not overly impressed with location (out of the way in a business park with a bank and a business office and lots of empty premises, also backing on to a school - but quiet and half way between FM and Sanibel so OK but certainly nothing special) with a car, everything is accessible.

You MUST realize that this is a 2 star property, nothing more, so it is clean and comfortable but not spectacular. The rooms are reasonably sized BUT previous and following rooms we stayed in WHICH WERE NOT ‘SUITES’ were larger. Each room has a large fridge, sink unit, cupboard containing essential pots pans, dishes glasses cutlery etc and a good hob and microwave. There is a fitted table (free standing in the disabled room) with office chair and kitchen chair, and in the non-disabled rooms, a recliner - the rest is bedroom and bathroom, so more of a room with kitchen facilities than a proper suite - there are no other comfortable seats so if two people want to sit and watch tv one has the recliner the other the kitchen or office chair, neither of which are comfortable for sitting watching tv for more than 1/2 hr or so!

We booked in and my husband spent an uncomfortable three hours moving from kitchen type chair to office chair to bed to sit. I asked the front desk if we could have a comfortable chair and they said no, they couldn't move any chairs into rooms. Clearly they didn’t know what the manager told us three days later that there were recliners in all rooms except disabled ones - obvious when you think about it, the free standing desk and no recliner allows for free movement of a wheelchair but as we didn't have or need wheelchair the room was not really suitable. When the young lady realized there was not a recliner in the room she suggested we swop rooms to one which did have a recliner but didn’t have any grab rails for the bath.

I was glad that we did as the rooms were much better designed – but again that is because the disabled rooms were designed to allow wheelchairs to move freely……it seemed odd though that they didn’t just suggest moving a recliner to the original room, as I say I’m glad they didn’t because the other rooms a better designed and I wouldn’t have discovered that had she not suggested the move and offered to show me the ‘display’ room

We 'checked in' to the other room and as I was beginning to unpack (again) we discovered the TV was not working......we moved again to the room next door and spent the most awful night! The large refrigerator juddered every time it cut in and the noise while it was on kept us awake all night.

We are seniors and I was not inclined to start hauling heavy equipment around in the middle of the night to try and find a switch to turn off the fridge.

In the morning I explained what had happened and asked that someone look at the fridge so that we would be able to sleep that night. I was assured that it would be noted and something done. When we returned that night the 'new' young lady on the desk knew nothing about the problem so nothing had been done.

I was astounded - and upset. We were offered another room but said that this was meant to be a holiday and we could not keep packing and unpacking to change rooms (or hotels which I would have been more inclined to do at that stage but it was too late and a Sunday night!) We were told to turn off the fridge - when I said that I was not prepared to start moving heavy equipment around the young lady came to do it for us, so we slept but woke to warm milk, water, yoghurt's etc!

I have to say that every encounter I had with staff they were eternally polite and helpful but I was quite concerned that nothing had been done that day.........apparently maintenance is only Monday to Friday so be warned that if anything happens on a Saturday or Sunday it does not get fixed until the Monday. Also if I am honest – most of them don’t seem to really know what to do if something outside the norm occurs!

Monday morning the Manager was there and said that she would have the refrigerator changed. That night we had cold contents, a silent fridge (success!!!!!!!!)and a blissful nights sleep (the beds are VERY comfortable as are the pillows) - until 4.00 am. when the two lights between the queen beds flickered on (they had been turned off about 11.30pm) and 'fizzed' My husband woke me, told me what had happened and said not to switch on anything in the room in case anything was 'live'

We reported this in the morning (together with the success of the silent fridge) and went off for the day. Again that night the young lady knew nothing about the electrical work but assured me that if a chit had been completed that morning (we saw it being written) that the work would have been done. We had no more mishaps, but there was a slight air of 'whatever else is going to happen' the whole time - thankfully nothing did and we completed our stay.

I checked our bill the day before we left and we were being charged the full rate....I NEVER query a room rate - even if I find that rooms can be had for much less for as far as I am concerned I have negotiated a rate and if I have not been astute enough to get a better rate, then I deserve to pay whatever I have negotiated! Anyhow on this occasion I did challenge the bill. I spoke to the manager and said that I felt there should really be some consideration of the difficulties we experienced, the room changes, the disrupted night, the concern about electrics etc., and subsequently there was a slight adjustment to the bill so honour was satisfied - although it would have been nice not to have had to ask. Also they left a very nice 'sorry everything was not perfect' card, two wine glasses some Hershey kisses and a couple of bottles of sarsaparilla in our room– a nice gesture.

At the end of it all I can confirm that much of what previous reviewers say is true – friendly helpful staff led by a competent, customer focused manager. Good location and good facilities for a 2 star property but don't expect more than a good 2 star facility.

Problems arise in the best of locations and I think we were just unlucky with the room changes, the noisy fridge and electrical problem. Even without these I would still have wanted to write a review that added realism to the situation because for myself reading the previous reviews, I think I expected more in terms of location and facilities. Comments about the management and staff are accurate and they deliver really well for the standard of hotel they operate. However. if you expect or want four star facilities – book a four star hotel!

3 Thank oldladytraveller
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Dear Guest, we are sorry that you did not have a 5 star experience at our hotel and that our suites did not meet your needs. We do appreciate the kind comments about our guest service team and cleanliness of the property. We are very sincere about providing our guests with the best experience possible when they choose our Candlewood Suites and hope to have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed here two nights during our 2010 Florida vacation. We selected the hotel because of the reviews and it's proximity to Sanibel. We didn't spend a lot of time at the hotel but the room was in excellent shape (appears to be fairly new) and clean. The beds were very comfortable and had good bedding. I used the Fitness Center once while we were there and it was very good also. The hotel can be a bit hard to get to the first time around, especially at night, because there are a lot of turns off the main road and it's not exactly clear which way to go to get to the hotel. If we planned to spend more time in the Fort Myers area we definitely would have stayed at this hotel longer. It's a great value and we highly recommend.

4 Thank TCJF
Dear Boston Traveler, we're so happy you selected us for your Fort Myers/Sanibel beach vacation! Located just four miles from both Fort Myers Beach and Sanibel Island, you can make every day a "beach day" when you stay with us! Yes, we are a new all-suite hotel, just a little over a year old and we are also part of the Holiday Inn family of hotels so you can earn Priority Club points with every night's stay. While the hotel is set back from the main road, many guests love the private and quiet setting, it's a great combination of being close to everything but not in the middle of it all. We're thrilled to read that you will choose us again if your travel brings you back to Fort Myers and that you will recommend us to others. Thank you!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Myers
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers - Colonial Blvd
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Myers - Sanibel Gateway
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers Beach / Sanibel Gateway
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers ...
#11 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,007 reviews
Residence Inn Fort Myers Sanibel
Homewood Suites by Hilton Fort Myers Airport / FGCU
Candlewood Suites Ft Myers - I-75

Been to Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway? Share your experiences!