“Really good value for your money!”

Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway
Ranked #14 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
Cleveland, Ohio
“Really good value for your money!”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We were very pleased with Candlewood Suites. The room was just right for 2 people and we appreciated the kitchen and large bathroom very much. It's situated among some medical buildings and was very quiet yet close to the highways, providing easy access to all the sites. The only negatives were: the shower was very weak and the bed was against one wall which made it very difficult to make. Moreover, the person sleeping on that side didn't have a nightstand which made it very inconvenient for there wasn't even room on the floor to put anything.
The AC worked fine (not too loud) and the housekeeping came once a week. However, if you needed anything in the meantime like fresh linens, you just had to go to the front desk to ask. The pool area was not used at all while we were there and I wish they had a little balcony off our room so we could sit on it in the evening, but it was still good value for the money. Part of the trip was off-season so the rates were lower - averaging out to less than $100 a day. It's about 3/4 mile from the coffee shop The Grind and it was a wonderful walk there each morning and a nice walkway along the highway. We would definitely come back to Candlewood!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
We at Team Candlewood love to hear feedback like this!! Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. So many times guests seem to only write when something bad happened during their stay. Its so nice to hear great comments about out Hotel. I thank you & Team Candlewood Thanks You!! Come back soon!

Dan Berben

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Our impression of this facility is generally poor. The most frustrating part of our stay was the painfully slow internet access during all times of the day. We found it quite interesting that our access to tripadvisor.com was blocked whenever using their internet feed. As mentioned in another review, it needs to be noted that housekeeping tends to the room only once per week. Dirty towels must be exchanged for clean at the front desk. That is also why you will see bags of trash left throughout the hallways during the day. The hotel is in a very quiet area, however, the entry is poorly marked and lit. I also noticed that the inspection certificates in both elevators expired in August, 2013. As in a previous review, "you get what you pay for" at Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
I first aplogize but was very shocked to read this review about any internet service issues during your stay with us, No such issues have been reported at the property level. We also have 24hr tech support for any customer free of charge! I also apologize that you were not completely satisfied during your stay, for that is our goal at Team Candlewood. Although it is a brand standard that we service a guest room once a week, requests can be honored by the desk. Also, being an extended stay property many guests may put their garbage outside there room for us to pick-up. Our staff is going around the property continuously but in high occupancy, we may of had a lapse in pick-ups.

As far as the elevator license, the hotel has been in full compliance with all inspections. It appears that the the department of business and professional regulation either sent the certificates to the wrong address or possibly another Candlewood. But we finally did receive them and they are posted properly. Again, I apologize for any inconveniences during your stay and would love the opportunity to make it up to you on your next visit to Fort Myers.

Valle Crucis, North Carolina
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This is a "get what you pay for" hotel. I guess if you aren't looking for any frills, then you won't be disappointed when you don't find them here. This hotel has a convenient location. If you are in town for business it is probably just fine. But if you are on vacation, while convenient to the beaches and restaurants, it has absolutely zero ambiance or charm. No view. Nothing that would even make you feel like you are in the state of Florida, including the decor. It could be a hotel located anywhere - Ohio, for that matter. As I said, if you know this going in and these things aren't important to you - "a room's a room" - then you shouldn't be disappointed.

When I read the review posted just before mine, I had the sense that this guest and I had the exact same experience. Same issue with the unprofessionalism at the front desk. No, "Hi! Welcome to Fort Meyers!" (Or even, Candlewood Suites!) Just, "Name?" Then searching for our reservation. "Robert?" "No, William." "I don't have William! I have Robert! Oh, wait a minute, there you are . . . " Not friendly, not professional. I had the same reaction to the room itself. It was really awkward with the bed pushed up against the wall. Fortunately my husband is a good sport, because sleeping on that side of the bed would have made me feel totally claustrophobic. The linens - sheets and towels - were the one thing in the room I could give high marks for. They were of good quality and not worn. The mattress itself, however, seemed to sag in the center, and my husband complained of his back hurting each morning when he woke up. The room and bathroom were fairly clean, but there was a good bit of black mildew around the edge of the tub at the wall. Yuck. The tub drained extremely slowly, so by the time you finished your shower you were standing in four inches of sudsy water.

I had no idea that they didn't offer daily maid service. I have never encountered that in a hotel before! We also had to go down to the front desk for more towels. I would advise them to prominently feature signs in the rooms letting guests know this AND to have more towel hooks/bars in the bathrooms so that you don't throw your towels on the floor in a pile as you do in most hotels. If we had realized their policy and had adequate places to hang our towels re-using them wouldn't have been a problem.

All in all, just OK. Not saying no one would enjoy staying here - but it's not for me.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NCWineTrail
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Let me first take the opportunity to apologize for any issues that you experienced during your most recent stay with us. I can honestly assure you that this is not the norm for our property. I also appreciate that you had some good comments about our property. Yes, the Candlewood brand offers room service only once a week but certainly honors special requests. As an extended stay property with full service kitchens, the prototype does not change depending on the area the Hotel is constructed in. But our Candlewood is upgraded from the brand with a full heated pool and family sitting area to watch TV or just play a board game. If you ever return to the Fort Myers beach area, I would like the opportunity to make it up to you and your husband. Please contact me, i will give you a nice Suite upgrade and can promise you a much more enjoyable stay!

Dan berben
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The front desk staff could not figure out how to find my information. The lady at the back desk, apparently, figured it out by the time we checked out of the hotel. As opposed to other comments, my husband and I have never stayed in a hotel where the front desk was as unprofessional as at this particular property.

In terms of the room. The queen bed was pushed against the wall, allowing only one of us to get up at a time. Fortunately, we are capable of climbing, but really unusual for the price. Interesting fact is that the only reason the bed wouldn't have been more centered is that a nasty and worn recliner was in the way.

If you are just looking for a place to crash, go for it. If you are going to be there and try to prepare a meal, beware. 2 plates, two bowls, forks, knives and spoons. It would be different if they offered daily housekeeping service, but they only offer weekly. You have to take your towels to the front desk if you want them to be exchanged before you've been there for a week.

I will never stay there again.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Cynthia L
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
We at Team Candlewood apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced during your stay with us, and I can assure you this is not the norm for our property. We take great pride in providing customer service to our guests, as seen in past trip reviews. I personally apologize that we fell short of your service expectations and also any issue's you might of had with the bed. Any of our queen studio's do come with two of everything (plates, silverware, glasses, etc!) and four of everything with two queen double beds in a room. All room suites also come with fully furnished pots & pans, cooking utensils,toaster, colander, measuring cup, a full size kitchen and refrigerator with dishwasher. Again, I am very sorry for your stay and would like the opportunity to make this up to you. If you should return to the Fort Myers please contact me directly. I can promise you a much more pleasureable stay!

Balfour, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The best part of this hotel is the price, followed by the location, which is very convenient to the I75. The building is new, suites are clean and include a small kitchenette with some bare essentials. The beds are comfortable and overall we found it very quiet especially given we were there over Christmas and New Years. You don't get what you don't pay for which includes service and housekeeping. I had to call their internet supplier myself when I told the front desk clerk that our internet didn't work and their once per week housekeeping is a bare minimum. Still, for the price, we give this place 4 out of 5.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
We thank you for taking the time to write such a good review about our property. We at Team Candlewood work hard to show case our property. So when we read such nice reviews, it makes it all worth while! We appreciate it and hope you come back soon.
Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I stayed here in December. A charge of $5.30 from this hotel appeared on my credit card several days after I had checked out, which was not on the original bill. When I called the hotel to inquire about the charge, I was told this was for spoons I took from the hotel, which I did not take. I explained I did not take them and was told someone would look into this and call me back. After four days without a call-back, I submitted a complaint thru the IHG web site. I received a response back from a case manager that said they would have Dan Berben the General Manager look into this and call me back within 48 hours. More than 96 hours have passed and I have not received a phone call. This is disgraceful customer service. It is inexcusable and as a result I will never stay at any Candlewood Suites again, let alone this one.

Room Tip: There is a Hampton Inn closer to the beach
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sir,
We at Team Candlewood apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced at our property. It is the policy of the Hotel to charge for any missing items after a guest or group checks out, which is standard in any Hotel. I do apologize that at the time of this charge, i (Dan Berben) was on holiday and was not at the hotel. In order for any charges to be reversed it must first get my approval. Again, I apologize for any delay in getting you an answer on this $5.30 charge.

Normal, Illinois
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Very accommodating friendly staff. Rooms are clean, all are indicated as suites but are just regular rooms with a kitchenette. Very dated, could use upgrades & housekeeping should come more than 1x a week.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
We at Team Candlewood thank you for taking the time to write a review. Thank you for the compliment of how clean the property was, we take pride in that. I am sorry you found the property dated for it is not quite five years old and was a new construction build. We do appreciate that you liked the staff and again apologize that you were unaware of the once a week housekeeping service. We hope you can return to our Candlewood.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Myers
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Myers - Sanibel Gateway
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers - Colonial Blvd
Residence Inn Fort Myers Sanibel
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers Beach / Sanibel Gateway
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers ...
#9 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach
Homewood Suites by Hilton Fort Myers Airport / FGCU
Crowne Plaza Fort Myers at Bell Tower Shops

Been to Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway? Share your experiences!