“OK for overnight stay”

Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway
Ranked #16 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I frequently stay at CS for business. I needed a place near Sanibel Island where I didn't have to pay an outrageous amount during the week of the Annual Shell Show. Most places on the island boost rates $100 during this week w/o tax. I found this relatively new hotel 12 miles from the SI Community Center. While off the beaten track for some reviewers on vacation, it met my needs. The hotel is across from the Lexington Golf community off Bass Rd. There are no restaurants within walking distance. Check-in went smoothly, although my special request for a quiet area of the hotel was met with "it's pretty good." One thing I like about the CS is the fact that the window in the room opens about 3-4" for fresh air. I agree with one of the previous reviewers that the queen bed is really a double. What makes it worse is the fact that one side is against a wall. This might be fine for a child, but not two adults. Keep this in mind if you choose a queen-suite. Called the front desk for an extra pillow and it was promptly brought up to the room. The flat screen TV has a large assortment of channels, more than most. All in all a good stay for one night. The color sceme in the hallways at this particular location does make the hotel look dreary. The room was clean. I do not like automatic climate control but prefer to have the fan running for consistent noise. I just turned this unit off because I was unable to just get the fan.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel face a natural area with water.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank truValue-Marco
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for the review.
We are in a very quiet location.
The beds are queen size, and they are a bit close to the wall. We are looking at what we can do to move the beds and the headboards that are attached to the wall.
We have a Ruby Tuesdays 3/4 of a mile which is a bit far to walk on Summerlin, which is a very busy road. Within a mile there is a Subway, a #1 Wok (Chinese), 5 Guys Burgers and Sunflower Cafe.
We are painting the hallway walls in April, we have already started in the Fitness Center and Laundry Room.
I also cannot sleep unless I have some background noise, there is a button on the thermostat on the wall that you can run the fan.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed mid-week for one night, passing through on business. Used "points" but no rooms were available for an early "priority" check in. Went out for late lunch and returned to check in (after mgmt. had left for the day).
Room was dirty. Mold on shower curtain. Soap scum on side of cabinet. Dried "mystery" fluid on wall across from toilet. (????? ew.)
Bathroom floor felt "sandy".
Bed linens were DIRTY! You could SMELL the body odor on them!
Stripped the bed of all linens and took them down to front desk for all new and had to make the bed myself.
Wanted to take advantage of on-site laundry room, but the hotel was out of laundry soap to purchase.

Because it was high season, and late in the day, checking out was not an option, and moving to another room was out of the question too. So.... we just lived with it for the night and delayed our departure just so we could meet with the manager in the a.m.

I filed a complaint on the corporate website, and customer service was quick to return our points +. The site manager promised he would follow up with us in an email to let us know what HE was going to do to address our poor stay, but it is now a full week after our stay, and still no email......

We've stayed at this facility in the past without issue. I don't think "It's high season and we're booked solid" should be code for "we don't have enough staff to take proper care of our guests".

The location is great, and it's quiet and safe. So....we'll probably give them one more try when returning to Ft. Myers. But it won't be based on this past stay!

Room Tip: Pets are allowed, so know that going in if you have allergies. AC/Heat units are loud. Rooms facin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Veetogo
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments and i apologize that we did not fully meet your expectations during your stay. I remember your situation well as I was fully involved along with my front office supervisor, and personally tried to solve your concerns. Although we take great pride in our property and cleanliness standards. Sometimes even a five star Hotel has hiccups, the goal is to fix it and solve it. It was also not mentioned in this review that the General Manager came to your Suite to first aplogize and to rectify any problems you experienced. As I remember we did credit your stay back along with adding member points, which, I thought was fair compensation for some issues. As far as follow up, my front office manager did speak to you and informed you that all credits were done. As we all know sometimes issues to arrise in the hospitality business. Our jobs in management is to assure that the customer concerns are satisfied and to prevent future occurances. Although I am quite confident that the bedsheets were fresh, if you were not satisfied with it, than we did not do our jobs. I only hope you will return and will contact me directly on your next visit to Fort Myers. I can promise you a much more enjoyable stay!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I booked this hotel based on Tripadvisor.com's reviews of 4.7 out of 5. I beg to differ. We arrived for a 7-night stay in this "suite" hotel and found the following. The carpet was not vacuumed. The kitchen floor was sticky and after I took a rag to it, the rag was black. The bed was against a wall so the second person had to crawl into from the bottom and the shower dribbled (no water pressure). We still stayed the seven nights and made the best of it but we joked that it was like camping (crawling into bed, stubbing toes on the wall, no water pressure, dirty feet, etc.) The wifi was super slow, to the point of almost being unusable. The best part of the facility is its location since we spent a lot of time at Fort Myer's Beach and the hotel was only a couple miles from the water. It was also convenient for the Lee County Sports Complex to watch MN Twins in spring training. We had a kitchen which was also nice. I just believe in being honest.

Room Tip: Higher floors contain heat (windows only open 3 inches) so even if it was 60 degrees, we needed the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Swanie62
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

I am very sorry to read that you did not have a good experience during your seven day stay. I wish you would have voiced any issues to management so we could have had the opportunity to satisfy your concerns. We at Team Candlewood take great pride in our cleaniness and all we have to offer for a discounted price. I believe our beds are set up in a normal spacious hotel fashion, but I do apologize for this also. I thank you for your comments and would advise you always voice any problems or issues to management. We all work hard to give our customers the best experience for the best rate.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We just got back from 5 days in Fort Myers, and I decided I would write a review of this hotel because it was such an unusual experience. I use TripAdvisor a lot, but almost never review places afterward. I think I know when to listen to cautions, and when they might just be an outlier or have different expectations than we do, but I was wrong on this one! This hotel was rated so high, I ignored a couple of cautions about it being dark and dirty.

The staff was really hardworking and accommodating, but they are way understaffed, and could not possibly have kept this place clean, given their standard when you check in is to tell you that they only clean once a week. I was a bit surprised, but I am a big proponent of hotels being more conservative in how much laundry and cleaning they do, and often ask them not to change sheets and towels, so I was not immediately concerned. But this extends to all the public areas, and after 4 nights in our dark, minimalist room, I did wonder how heavy their cleaning was for the next person!

The halls were sprinkled with crumbs and bits of food, and when I asked the person at the desk if they vacuumed every day, she said "oh no, but if you think it needs it, let me know" -- so I did, and 2 days later they vacuumed!

I am torn about this place, because it really is about knowing what you are getting, and deciding what you need to make it a positive stay. I can really relate to those who say it is a great deal if you just want a decent place, minimal amenities, and access to a kitchen. It has all that (emphasis on minimal). What I learned is that what I personally want at this time in my life, is a much more pleasant surrounding, and think I will pay a bit more to get it. Even my husband, who has very basic needs, agreed that this was too minimal!

What you would need to decide before you book this place is whether you would rather pay a little more to get: housekeeping more often than once a week, clean public areas, a location that is not isolated from the sights, a pool that is not in a parking lot, and more natural light in your room. I am an early riser, and my husband sleeps later, so I am always looking for a place I can go with my book and coffee. They had a pleasant common lounge, or this place would have been intolerable for me since I am up at 6 or 6:30 and can't turn on the light!

I want to emphasize, they are what they say they are, I was just not prepared, and had just come from a Homewood Suites in Charleston which was fabulous. I think I can sum up by saying I am partial to Hilton brands, though usually stay in their less expensive chains like Hampton Inns, and though there are a few Holiday Inns I stay at whenever i am in those towns, I find that generally Holiday Inn brands are less consistent from place to place...and often are "tired", so I hesitate to try one unless they are much better rate. I tried this one based on the reviews, but won't return.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MaineTraveler112
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations which is our goal at Team Candlewood. From reading your review it appears you were maybe seeking a much higher priced more resort experience than our more homey, quiet, type of experience. Our Hotel is extended stay and we are nestled in a nice quiet park like atmosphere but still close to the beach and tourist areas. We do only offer housekeeping once a week which is written in our reviews, I apologize that you wanted a daily housekeeping service. Although we are very busy this time of year, our staff cleans all public areas everyday on schedule, again, I am sorry somebody dropped crumbs in the hallway. Our extended stay Candlewood is not for everyone, but if you want a newer property with all the basic's of home, we are here. Our prices are much more competitive than other name branded Hotels with a much higher price tag. Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We have stayed in quite a few Candlewoods and like this style of hotel; we were here for 2 weeks end of January and loved the location; a backwater so nice and quiet but really well located for getiing out and about.

Housekeeping doesn't come round daily so you don't have to get out early (unless you want to) and basically the staff don't bother you but are there if you need something, we used the back door the entire time we stayed here and the area was well kept clean and safe.

Would stay here again and would recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andysmaw

Thank you for a wonderful review. This is why we work so hard for our guests. We at Team Candlewood love these kinds of comments and thank you for your patronage. Come back soon!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was my first stay at a Candlewood, and I am very impressed! I may have to rethink staying at the Courtyards... Large Room with very nice accessible kitchen, large work desk and living area and separate bedroom. It was really awesome having a microwave and full fridge - I found myself just ordering takeout and reheating in the room! It made working at night a lot easier. The location is very good too - very near the bridge that takes you to Fort Myers Beach. I would definitely recommend this property for the business traveler or family.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

What a compliment and thanks so much for writing such a nice review. You have found out what the Candlewood Brand is all about. You experience the higher end 4-Star stay, without paying the high rates associated with other name brand Hotels. We at Team Candlewood love to see these reviews, please come back to home Candlewood soon.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I'm reading earlier complaints about no coffee and I see the Manager for this branch saying it is provided it says nothing about charging for it. I was given coffee for free several times now they want to chisel me for .50 a pack. Come on, way to turn a nice stay into a bad review. Called desk about it tonight at 10:30 on the 20th of Feb. 2013 woman was rude handed me off to a guy who was argumentative and rude. I'm in room 213 manager talk to me before I leave.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Pat B,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor customer service from our staff which was unacceptable. We will address this. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Myers
Residence Inn Fort Myers Sanibel
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers - Colonial Blvd
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Myers - Sanibel Gateway
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers Beach / Sanibel Gateway
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers ...
#10 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach
Crowne Plaza Fort Myers at Bell Tower Shops
Candlewood Suites Ft Myers - I-75

Been to Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway? Share your experiences!