“Torn about this one!”

Ranked #14 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
Portland, Maine
“Torn about this one!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from 5 days in Fort Myers, and I decided I would write a review of this hotel because it was such an unusual experience. I use TripAdvisor a lot, but almost never review places afterward. I think I know when to listen to cautions, and when they might just be an outlier or have different expectations than we do, but I was wrong on this one! This hotel was rated so high, I ignored a couple of cautions about it being dark and dirty.

The staff was really hardworking and accommodating, but they are way understaffed, and could not possibly have kept this place clean, given their standard when you check in is to tell you that they only clean once a week. I was a bit surprised, but I am a big proponent of hotels being more conservative in how much laundry and cleaning they do, and often ask them not to change sheets and towels, so I was not immediately concerned. But this extends to all the public areas, and after 4 nights in our dark, minimalist room, I did wonder how heavy their cleaning was for the next person!

The halls were sprinkled with crumbs and bits of food, and when I asked the person at the desk if they vacuumed every day, she said "oh no, but if you think it needs it, let me know" -- so I did, and 2 days later they vacuumed!

I am torn about this place, because it really is about knowing what you are getting, and deciding what you need to make it a positive stay. I can really relate to those who say it is a great deal if you just want a decent place, minimal amenities, and access to a kitchen. It has all that (emphasis on minimal). What I learned is that what I personally want at this time in my life, is a much more pleasant surrounding, and think I will pay a bit more to get it. Even my husband, who has very basic needs, agreed that this was too minimal!

What you would need to decide before you book this place is whether you would rather pay a little more to get: housekeeping more often than once a week, clean public areas, a location that is not isolated from the sights, a pool that is not in a parking lot, and more natural light in your room. I am an early riser, and my husband sleeps later, so I am always looking for a place I can go with my book and coffee. They had a pleasant common lounge, or this place would have been intolerable for me since I am up at 6 or 6:30 and can't turn on the light!

I want to emphasize, they are what they say they are, I was just not prepared, and had just come from a Homewood Suites in Charleston which was fabulous. I think I can sum up by saying I am partial to Hilton brands, though usually stay in their less expensive chains like Hampton Inns, and though there are a few Holiday Inns I stay at whenever i am in those towns, I find that generally Holiday Inn brands are less consistent from place to place...and often are "tired", so I hesitate to try one unless they are much better rate. I tried this one based on the reviews, but won't return.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MaineTraveler112
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations which is our goal at Team Candlewood. From reading your review it appears you were maybe seeking a much higher priced more resort experience than our more homey, quiet, type of experience. Our Hotel is extended stay and we are nestled in a nice quiet park like atmosphere but still close to the beach and tourist areas. We do only offer housekeeping once a week which is written in our reviews, I apologize that you wanted a daily housekeeping service. Although we are very busy this time of year, our staff cleans all public areas everyday on schedule, again, I am sorry somebody dropped crumbs in the hallway. Our extended stay Candlewood is not for everyone, but if you want a newer property with all the basic's of home, we are here. Our prices are much more competitive than other name branded Hotels with a much higher price tag. Thank you for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Clydebank, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We have stayed in quite a few Candlewoods and like this style of hotel; we were here for 2 weeks end of January and loved the location; a backwater so nice and quiet but really well located for getiing out and about.

Housekeeping doesn't come round daily so you don't have to get out early (unless you want to) and basically the staff don't bother you but are there if you need something, we used the back door the entire time we stayed here and the area was well kept clean and safe.

Would stay here again and would recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andysmaw
Thank you for a wonderful review. This is why we work so hard for our guests. We at Team Candlewood love these kinds of comments and thank you for your patronage. Come back soon!
Orlando, FL
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was my first stay at a Candlewood, and I am very impressed! I may have to rethink staying at the Courtyards... Large Room with very nice accessible kitchen, large work desk and living area and separate bedroom. It was really awesome having a microwave and full fridge - I found myself just ordering takeout and reheating in the room! It made working at night a lot easier. The location is very good too - very near the bridge that takes you to Fort Myers Beach. I would definitely recommend this property for the business traveler or family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
What a compliment and thanks so much for writing such a nice review. You have found out what the Candlewood Brand is all about. You experience the higher end 4-Star stay, without paying the high rates associated with other name brand Hotels. We at Team Candlewood love to see these reviews, please come back to home Candlewood soon.
North Sewickley, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I'm reading earlier complaints about no coffee and I see the Manager for this branch saying it is provided it says nothing about charging for it. I was given coffee for free several times now they want to chisel me for .50 a pack. Come on, way to turn a nice stay into a bad review. Called desk about it tonight at 10:30 on the 20th of Feb. 2013 woman was rude handed me off to a guy who was argumentative and rude. I'm in room 213 manager talk to me before I leave.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Pat B,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor customer service from our staff which was unacceptable. We will address this. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
New York
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel for 10 days, the staff is outstanding, place is as clean as can be, the whole hotel is cleaned daily and the staff is easy to work with. Housekeeping crew is on the ball and extememly friendly. My only complaint is the internet service is not adequate.

Room Tip: try and avoid 1st floor, it is a little noisy because of all the guest coming and going.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hunter11ss
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Fantastic review! Thanks for taking your time to write about us. We at Team Candlewood take great pride in our property and we are glad to read that we exceeded your expectations with our staff and our cleanliness. This is always the Goal! Come back soon.
Bolton, Connecticut
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was our base camp for a two week snowbird vacation to the Sannibel area. We had an extended stay studio suite. The appliances were new and the room was very clean. Staff was very accomodating and the free in-house laundry was a real plus. There is plenty of grass for your furry kid to relieve him or herself and a nice dog park within walking distance. As pet friendly hotels go, this was one of the better ones. Our only complaint is that we had reserved a king bed, but there was some mixup and we got 2 full sized beds instead. The staff offered to move us to a king room, but once we were settled in we opted to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review about us, we at Team Candlewood appreciate that very much. I agree that we have some of the best walking areas in town for your furry friends, and a private pet walk area behind our property. Again, thank you for writing such nice comments, Team Candlewood is greatful!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Nice bedroom with oven, refrigerator, microwave, etc. Cable tv and also dvd, you can pick up movies on the front desk for free :D Beautiful view to a lake. The only downside maybe is that they do not offer breakfast. But there are a lot of place to eats arround, so not a big deal I guess.

Room Tip: Ask if all the bedrooms are the same (mini apartments) or not. I do not have idea, this one was the...
4 Thank Danielagh_2012
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you so much for writing such a great review. We at Team Candlewood realize how your time is valuable, so we very much appreciate the comments. Please come back anytime and tell your friends about us!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Myers
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Myers - Sanibel Gateway
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers - Colonial Blvd
Residence Inn Fort Myers Sanibel
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers Beach / Sanibel Gateway
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers ...
#9 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach
Homewood Suites by Hilton Fort Myers Airport / FGCU
Crowne Plaza Fort Myers at Bell Tower Shops

Been to Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway? Share your experiences!