“Shoot the guitarist and the cook”
Review of YABO - CLOSED

YABO
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My first time at this restaurant. The person showing us to our seats proudly announced that Thursday nights was a special night as they had an acoustic guitarist playing. We were having a wonderful conversation until he started "singing." Quite what he was singing was a total mystery, none of our party could recognize ONE "song" So somebody must have told him to compensate for his lack of performance he should increase the volume so that we had to stop talking. I then order the "special" a mahi mahi. It was inedible. Dry as a bone, and tasteless. My dinner guests also had meals that they could not complete. A wonderful group of friends, and we had an awful experience. Furthermore, for being in the middle of nowhere in a totally empty shopping plaza, the prices were outrageous.

1  Thank Rick C

Reviewed October 22, 2013

while it offers live music which is vey good, it has no dance floor.
The food is good, but no better than I can find elsewhere for less money. this place is expensive and out of the way. been here about 8 times and when there is no music don't go.
seek other places first and not any view of anything

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

The food was excellent. The atmosphere was interesting: posters of bob marley and other musicians. The waiter was very friendly and efficient. But the background music was annoyingly loud even though it was a night without live entertainment.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The food here is spectacular. The atmosphere is great and very unique/unusual. We had a great time but you really can't say enough about the food. Real food real chefs.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We were introduced to Yabo a few years ago… back in their old location. We immediately liked it and have been back several times since… in the new (much larger) location.

Yabo has a particular vibe in décor and attitude… and music/band themes prevail (the chef/owner is a musician). Not surprisingly, this results in two separate crowds… those who go there for the food and not the entertainment, and those who go there mainly for the music.

The dish that originally got me hooked was their lasagna. You might be tempted to say, “Lasagna, so what?” Well, I tried this old standby on the recommendation of a friend and we have similar standards for Italian food. I must say, this version is a winner with a great balance of flavors and a creamy texture. My wife had a similar standby, eggplant parmesan. It was also excellent in its simplicity and preparation. It’s funny, although they call their cuisine Italian, I don’t really think of Yabo as that.

So, on this visit, and because we had not been there in about a year, we had those faves again… and we were not disappointed. We also had their heavenly gorgonzola gnocchi as a shared appetizer. Richly flavored and “melt in your mouth”… everybody loved it.

On this evening, we arrived without a reservation – around 7:30pm – and were immediately seated on the patio. Our server was friendly and attentive.

Our friends, respectively, had the grilled veal chop and the shrimp/gorgonzola salad. They were very happy with both dishes. All in all, it was a great dinner.

One note of caution for this establishment. Although we’ve not experienced it directly, I can relate to some of the other reviews I’ve read where – occasionally -- Yabo seems to get too caught up in their distinct vibe. You know, too cool for their own good. No matter how good the food or how cool the place, the timeless tenets of making patrons feel valued is tantamount to long-term success. When that equation goes out of balance, people will quickly find other places. Like I said, just a caution based on some observations… and wanting them to stick around.