“Unexpectly great Italian”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

YABO= Yes Absolutely the Best gnOcchi. That was a stretch, but man I still have a craving for that signature gnocchi dish. Ended up having the gnocchi to start, with the filet as my main course. I made the caprese salad a side item for the filet. It was enormous. And delicious. Considering the season, I was shocked that the tomatoes were so tasty. Also split a great bottle of California merlot (the wine list was surprisingly good, and not over priced).

There was a great singer performing, and my colleague and I highly enjoyed our experience.

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I had a great dinner last night here. It was my first visit and had read mixed reviews but decided to give it a shot. It was very cool. We had a nice bottle of wine and I thought the list was priced very approachable. Started with the caprese salad. It was huge and very flavorful and then had their signature gnocchi with Gorgonzola cream with sautéed spinach. Yum! Pasta was tender and very pillow like. The sauce was bold without being overpower by the Gorgonzola. They also had a great acoustic guitar player playing all the song I love to sing along to. Overall it was a great experience and we will be back soon! A cool spot you should check out.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Not what we thought it would be. The name implies Japanese but the server said it was an Australian word that the urban dictionary says is someone in a gym that doesn't no what they are doing. Refer to previous reviews on this restaurant.
My wife and I went for "Happy Hour" when we can experience the food and ambience of a restaurant. The decor at Yabo appears "home made" with a lot of black paint. The food started excellent with a hamburger and HOT fries that put the local hamburger place to shame, good Caesar Salad that we couldn't finish, to not so good calamari smothered in a tomato sauce. It appears to be setup for a younger clientele.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I were down in Ft. Myers visiting my parents, who recently purchased a home in the area. My parents' realtor was over at their house and told them about YABO. He said that he heard good things about it and that he would meet us with his girlfriend at 6:00 for dinner.

It was 4:45 and my parents, wife and I didn't feel like sitting around until 6:00 so we decided to head over for YABO for happy hour. We sat at the bar and asked what the happy hour specials were. We were told that all apps were half priced, as were rail drinks, house wine, and draft beer. I asked what their house whiskey was and was told they were out but they could give me Jim Bean (score!). My dad and wife both had the house wine, which they said was very good, and my mom stuck with diet pepsi. As for appetizers, we ordered the gnocchi (with gorgonzola cream sauce), calamari, wings (tossed in a raspberry chipotle sauce), and the star of the evening, the caprese salad. While the gnocchi was good, the cream sauce was a little heavy. I am not a calamari fan, but everyone who had the calamari really enjoyed it. The wings were meaty and the portion was big. While I would have preferred regular buffalo sauce, my dad liked the sauce a lot. Now onto everyone's favorite dish, and the best value: the caprese salad. For $6 you were given probably what amounted to a pound of fresh mozzarella and two whole tomatoes. Topped with basil, balsamic vinaigrette, and EVVO, it was tasty and a great value.

Once my parents' realtor and his girlfriend showed up we sat down at a table for dinner (not sure how any of us could eat any more). While everyone liked their meal, everyone's favorite was my dish, which was the flatbread of the day, a BBQ chicken flatbread. Topped with BBQ chicken, cheddar cheese, and red onions, it was delicious. When I asked the waiter how often they have this particular flatbread on the menu he told me this was the first time. I hope the owner reads this review and puts it on the menu permanently (it was that good).

I can't wait to visit my parents again so I can go back to happy hour at YABO.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This restaurant is an exciting mix of food and music.....a welcome change to this city.
The food is always good and served nicely. However, some thingsI would change and some I would overlook.( a ahi tuna steak...not sliced but kept whole) would be one of them...a little bit to " rustic" for me and a bit unpleasant to eat.
On the other hand, the drunk customers at the bar that decided to dance in a provocative fashion --Was a bit uncomfortable and made the night feel a bit trashy! The GM was no where to be seen.
We have been to Yabo a couple of times and by no means are we a couple of old farts not enjoying the night..BUT, KEEP IT CLASSY FORT MYERS!!!!! The GM needs to sept up!

By the way....rude hostess!!!!!